[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ammo box speaker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10

I've got some ideas swirling around in my brain to make a portable speaker out of an ammo box. (pic related)
Theres a plethora of DIY stuff on them, bot none of them really show what i'm thinking.

My idea is to use a couple of car speakers, and a head unit form a car. in theory it should work, but how would i be able to power it?
Can i just tie into the speakers hot wiring without frying anything? Where would i be able to tie a ground to? I'm kind of doubting that I'd be able to use the box itself as a ground.
I feel like using a head unit would be the quickest/easiest and most direct way of getting everything i need out of a boom box. Plus, I can basically get all the materials needed for free.
any input of it would be cool.
>>
>>1044094
Hobby lipos would work good for powering it. 3 cell would put out about 13 volts fully charged.

There would be no need for a ground. Most car speakers have 2 terminals like regular speakers.

A car head unit is kind of big. There are small FM, bluetooth, SD card, flash drive units on ebay for not much money that can be output to a small stereo amp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231086566562?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V-TPA3116-Class-D-2-x-50W-Dual-Channel-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-Board-/181687724050?hash=item2a4d6ea812:g:my8AAOSwEeFVAALg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-35C-3S-3-Cell-5000mAh-11-1V-RC-LiPo-Battery-with-Deans-EC3-Traxxas-Plug-/401173244898?hash=item5d67c9ebe2:g:pD0AAOSwU-pXu418
>>
Are ammo boxes cheap and/or easy to come by?
>>
>>1044109
Depends on where you live.
>>
Do ammo boxes even have good harmonics?
>>
>>1044131
Nope. They are terrible. The handles also vibrate if you get it loud enough.
>>
>>1044131
Along with car parts, i also have plenty of sound dampening foam, and things to go with it, so acoustics and rattling aren't huge concerns for me.

>>1044104
Would the head unit not need to be grounded?
I was thinking more of a wall outlet deal. Just plug it in and be good. I'm not 100% sure on batteries quite yet due to limited knowledge, space and weight in the box aswell.
I don't think a head unit would be that bad on space, a single din should mount on the face of the box pretty well, just by eyeballing it. even a top mount would work.
>>
It will rattle and sound like shit, but it will look cool, you need wood, I'll post a pic of the one I built soon, it's down in my garage, sounds awesome though
>>
>>1044094
>Where would i be able to tie a ground to?
The negative terminal of your battery.
>>
>>1044160
no it would not. the only thing on an ammo can that is loose is the handle. when closed the lid is tight.
>>
>>1044150
>I was thinking more of a wall outlet deal. Just plug it in and be good. I'm not 100% sure on batteries quite yet due to limited knowledge, space and weight in the box aswell.

then you need a dc power supply big enough to handle what your equipment needs.
>>
File: bb.jpg (44KB, 739x469px) Image search: [Google]
bb.jpg
44KB, 739x469px
>>1044094

Ive done this but in bigger scale. Pic related. 8" sub with one 4" and a tweeter. Even had a voltmeter in it just for raughs.Even a amp for the 8" so it didnt last for too long but sound was pretty sweet.

Powered by regular car battery that was charged by just opening the lid and putting clamps in the terminals.
And yeah you dont need other neutral than the neutral of the battery and neutral of the head unit.

I thought about what you are thinking too, getting power straight from the plug and i think its possible with 13-14 volt power supply with enough amps as you dont have anything like 8" subs in there.
>>
File: bb2.jpg (54KB, 735x552px) Image search: [Google]
bb2.jpg
54KB, 735x552px
>>1044258
>>
File: 20160827_010839.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160827_010839.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1044254
yeah I know what an ammo box looks like, just a steel box is not ideal for sound, I'm betting the one in OPs pic would be quite treble/tinny sounding as opposed to bassy, I think an identical sized wooden one with the same speakers would sound better.

>>1044258
nice man, way tidier than mine, and I bet it cranks, I put a 39Ah gel battery in mine, I've had going bout 9 hrs a day for 3 days before I charged it, it didn't go flat but I don't have a meter like yours..
anyways its a 6x9 either side and a head unit, the speaker in the front is an old 8" house speaker I had cooked, so I removed the magnet and it acts as a bass driver, works pretty well for a guess.

I put a bolt out each side to charge it off, and has 2 speaker outputs in the back, all in all way better sound than a bluetooth speaker with 10x the inconvenience, its heavy but works well as a site radio at work, if I come across a bluetooth head unit for cheap I'd put that in it
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1044094
I built a thing in an ammo box for work a few months ago. Great because they're sturdy and easy to cut and work with.
>>1044109
Yes
>>1044131
No
>>1044189
The case and negative terminal 'are' your ground
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1044290
This thing allows me to test 125VDC control circuitry in power substations without hammering all their expensive high voltage equipment.
>>
File: 20150322_184601.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20150322_184601.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>1044094
I built one a year ago, pic related. Not really difficult and good looking. You can find a lot of tutorials on instructables. Basicly the hardest part is to chose the components.

I went with the same idea as yours: use 2 car speakers and a small amp (Lepai LP-2020A). Initially the whole thing was battery powered via a small lithium 12V battery, but after some time it didn't hold up so I replaced it by a 12V power adaptor (think like a phone charger, but more powerfull). The amp I chose is 20 watt so I also selected a set of 20 watt speakers. Make sure that everything work at the same voltage too, you shold find plenty of 12V speakers and amps. You also need to worry about the outter diameter of the speaker compared to the size of the box.

The wiring is really basic: the speakers are directly wired to the amp output, and I made two holes on the side to plug the power cable and the jack that are wired to the amp input. The amp is simply held with velcro pads inside the box. If you want you can also add an external switch, to shut mine down I either need to unplug it or open it and shut the amp.

The global budget was around 70€. 25€ for the speakers, 15 for the amp, 20 for the box, 10 for the power supply and a bit more for various crap. It looks cool and does the job. The sound is nice, but when the volume is high the handle will start rattling. To reduce this noise I put some blu-tac under the handle. The sound quality will also depend on your speakers and amp of course.

If you have any question feel free to ask. I'm not an audio expert, and I might not have done everything the correct way, but it's working nicely.
>>
>>1044094
Indeed it is anon. I don't have any picks, but as luck would have it i have done exaclty this. But in a small lunch box. Boss at work said no radios are to be in conpany equipment? Wut??? Suck my dick newfag. I fixed a fm antenea to a clamp, hid a charge plug for my battery. And rocked the fuck out until my last day there when i strolled in and set it on his desk playing take this job and shove it.

Fun rabbit hole. Youtube and google images (cooler sound system.)

For your project tho i will try and help walk u through it. Feel free to post pics and questions. Im on a lot during the day and on weekends.

U might youtube a simple car radio instal because most wiring is similar.

Also, if you want to save your settings such as cloc, volume, stations etc. You will need a toggle switch. If u dont give a shit then, u dont. Ill explain.

This shit quality diagram will get you started. Be sure to secure the ends (tape them up) of all unused wires or at least bundle them so they never touch anything.

The ground "can" be the case but since u have to bolt everythibg to it you may as well just fasten them together.

You can get a small 12 volt rechargeable battery in many places. Just be sure that it is deep cycle and 10 amp or larger. Just shoo around online.

To charge it u can run a cigarette lighter plug to it like i did mine and plug it into your car. Or you can get a small 12 volt battery charger. Harbor frienght has battery tenders that are extremely cheap but it may take a long time to charge.

Let me know what battery u choose and we will discuss if u want.

Alrighty then, here goes.

On your radio.

Black goes to - on the battery
Yellow goes to + on the battery
Red also goes to + on the battery however. If you wish to save your settings you wil want to cut this wire in the middle and secure both ends to a cheap toggle switch. Of not, then direct to battery note that it will never turn off unless u do it manually.
>Cont....
>>
File: download (1).png (8KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
8KB, 212x238px
>>1044397
Forgot pic fml.

Sorry, busy at work atm. And trying to shitpost.
>>
File: 007-11.jpg (107KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
007-11.jpg
107KB, 1024x681px
>>1044397
Cont.

Some older radios require the antenea be pluged in to power on bit there is a small chance of this.

That is your power.

Now, if you dont have a diagram you will need to power on your radio, adjust it to the front left speaker, turn the volume up a little, and then begin testing pairs of matching colored wires for music or static. When you find the correct one. Wire it up or label it and then do the front right using that method. Alternitivly u can use the back doing this for a little more bass or to hook up 4 speakers. Most of the time you speaker + will go to a solid color and the - will be the same color of wire with a black stripe.

And there you go. Short of previously described options, lights, fans, etc, you are done! Enjoy your new $200 boombox for fuck near free anon. Ask away at your conveinience if u get stuck.

I am DickFarmer btw.

Cheers!
>>
>>1044104
Dickfarmer here.

Yeah, lithium 100% better due to weight and longevety. I used sla (lead) because i already had it.
>>
>>1044109
It depends. Military surplus is 100% your best bet. I wouldnt say cheap but they arent bad.

I use beer coolers because they are cheap.

U can get plastic ammoboxes fucking everywhere.

I cheap metal toolbox would be almost as good as ammo box and way cheaperj
>>
File: 1470997048300.jpg (11KB, 238x238px) Image search: [Google]
1470997048300.jpg
11KB, 238x238px
>>1044133
Not if u weld those cocksuckers solid like me. Fuck its annoying.
>>
>>1044258
Car battery?
An atx power supply will do, rite?
>>
>>1044109
No. Army bases are reluctant to give them up and buying them yourself is expensive.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.