[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yard Drainage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: French_drain_diagram.jpg (496KB, 1300x768px) Image search: [Google]
French_drain_diagram.jpg
496KB, 1300x768px
I live on 3 acres in southern Louisiana and over the years the land has settled and sunk down enough to where I can't use gravity to drain water to the ditch. Not all of my property is this low, just a few spots. So I researched some drainage options and french drains seem like a good route. My question is: can I use french drains to collect and evenly distribute the water by letting it seep out back into the land? My initial thoughts are probably not because I'm still stuck with the same amount of water on my land so it would just pool up evenly instead of in the few low spots. However, if I run enough perforated pipe, could it even it out enough to where it doesn't pool up and just goes back into the ground?

My other option is to dig a reservoir and use a sump to pump it out to the ditch, but I'd rather not use that option unless I absolutely have to. Advice?
>>
There's a few issues here. How high is the ground water in your area? You will want to keep this away from any buildings as this could cause sagging.

You could always build a big ass pond and pipe to i. use the soil from the excavation to fill the lower spots.
>>
>>1043977
Op should dig a pond cause then he has no water and a nice pond.
>>
>>1043977
>>1043979
A pond? You think 3 acres is enough to accommodate that without sacrificing usable land for a garden and stuff? I'm not opposed to this...
>>
>>1043984
It all depends on how big of a pond and how big of a garden map it out for yourself and make a decision.
>>
>>1043985
I think my issue was I'm not sure how big a pond needs to be so that it retains water without drying out when it doesn't rain for a week or two. But yeah, I'll start a new research journey. Thanks!
>>
>>1043988
I think your issue is you live in Louisiana and Louisianan is a swamp and you have an issue with having standing water in your yard. Why don't you find a place to live that isn't a few feet above sea level?
Leave it to the French to think building anything in a swamp was a good idea. I guess this is such a problem for them there is a specific drainage system named after them....
I'm sure moving to a more logical local is not an option so just embrace it. You do live in Louisiana.... standing water in your yard goes with the territory.
>>
>>1044110
I hate to sound like a dick, but he's right.
You live in reclaimed swamp OP.
I'd sell it while you can, God is trying to cleanse that state from the surface of the planet.
>>
>>1044443
Yeah I definitely don't intend to stay here for too long. Unfortunately I don't have another option at the moment so I figure fixing the problems as best I can will increase the value and make it easier to sell when that time comes.
>>
>>1043919

Houston here - house is 22' above sea level and swampy. We have the same soil as well (gumbo/clay/shit). I don't live on acreage but that is an advantage as you don't have to deal with easements and water mains and in-ground cabling except on maybe a fraction of your land. Therefore, you can easily do one of two good things - 1) till your low spots down to the clay or better, fill with a enriched topsoil mix (~$35 a yard or less) and re-sod. This gives the water somewhere to go instead of pooling up on the surface. Be sure you don't cause other low spots and watch your drain-off areas. 2) Install the French drain(s). Home Depot and Lowes and usually TSC have that perforated pipe with the packing-peanut like material around it. This makes it so you don't have to use rocks. Personally, I would use rocks and perforated pvc.

Also, if you lay drains, I will still use some topsoil to fill low spots. For 3 acres, rent a trencher (of course).
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.