[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

I had a woman come up to my home, seemingly a city worker, and ask me a few questions about my recently purchased home. Confirming bed/bath number, confirming crawlspace, and down payment. Then she went around the back yard and took a few pictures. Is this normal?

Also, i'd like to know if there are any good DIY home security measures beyond get a gun.
>>
Probably normal, probably fine. Always ask for ID and a contact number. If you get suspicious call the contact number they gave you, and if you get really suspicious call the po-lease. Unless you live in an utter shithole where the cops are speeding around town all day arresting petty crooks, drunks, and shoplifters they're normally thrilled to take calls like this.
>in my sleepy little town the cops reckon it's their town and they run the place, and anything the town gov't does or anything salesmen, inspectors, solicitors, etc do behind their backs pisses them off. they love the opportunity to intervene and obstruct and flex
>>
that sounds suspicious as fuck
>>
>>1043578
>>1043577

I normally do I was distracted by my fucking puppy going berserk thinking he was going outside. I'm calling the city tomorrow and ask if they sent anyone my way.
>>
>>1043573
The city already knows how many beds/baths your house has and what your lot looks like.
>>
>>1043581
When there's a new owner sometimes they do an audit to confirm. Lots of people lie to the city to get their "taxable" lot reduced. When the deed and tax passes to a new owner they may take a peek to (re)confirm.

Either that or she's a whore working for a burglar crimering taking photos of the premises so they can steal OP's dildos and pupper. We may never know.
>>
As for home security. The number one deterrent is to be home. You have to have fucking balls of steel to do an actual home invasion and they are rare as fuck.

Dogs are good deterrent too. A pissed off dog can fuck you up, not to mention the barking.

Properly securing your doors and windows is always good. Make sure your door is actually secure. Use 3.5 in screws on strike plates and hinges. This makes it hard to kick in. Once a burglar tries to kick in a door 5 times and it's not budging, they will usually take off. Make sure windows are closed and locked. Make sure patio doors have a security bar in them.

Buy an ADT or alarm company sign off ebay and put in near your front door. Or get a monitored alarm. The sad part is that even with an alarm the burglar has about 2 minutes while the alarm company tries to contact you then contacts the police. Then they have the police response time. Still acts as a deterrent though.

One of the best things is having a relationship with your neighbor and having them be nosy. Very true if they're old. Cuts police response time down if they see someone snooping around your house.

Never have blind areas around your doors or windows where burglars can hide from view.

Motion activated lights are a great for night.
>>
>>1043577
>Always ask for ID
yep

if they won't give it, tell them to F off
>>
>>1043573
If anyone comes knocking on your door you get their name and information and then tell them to promptly fuck off.

If the city, county, state, or federal government wants any fucking information from you they can solicit that information through mail.

A lot of scammers pretend or present themselves as government employees.

If they insist on pestering you, you call the police for a "civil assist"
>>
>>1043966
>If the city, county, state, or federal government wants any fucking information from you they can solicit that information through mail.

Cities can require an appraisal or inspection if work is done to a house or if it is sold.

Still ask for an ID. All field workers (and really all govt workers in general) are required to carry it on them for this exact reason.

I've also had shit canvassers trespassing on my property before. Taking pictures and then trying to get me to hire them to fix the non-existent storm damage to my house.
>>
>>1043581
>>1043584
I don't think so.

This is is really shady. Any improvements the city doesn't know about were unpermited anyway.

They already know the Sq footage of this house.
>>
>>1043573

Tell her to get the fuck off your property and answer no questions. Whenever people walk through the fence on my property I show them my rifle and make sure they hear my dog barking. There are fucking signs, you stupid niggers. Stay the fuck out.
>>
>>1043573
>stock photography of criminal
>white guy

Every time.

>>1043573
Sounds like the county auditor stopped by to verify how many shekels you need to give in property taxes.

And buy a gun, faggot.
>>
File: American-Holly-Ilex-Opaca[1].jpg (67KB, 495x330px) Image search: [Google]
American-Holly-Ilex-Opaca[1].jpg
67KB, 495x330px
holly bushes under the windows.

the really pointy variety too.

It keeps casual criminals from trying to look in your windows or even breaking and climbing through.
>>
>>1044272
Not always true. Added a bedroom to my house in 2005. City guy came by in 2006, had credentials etc., paperwork from the city. The stuff he had didn't even have the garage on it that got added in the early 80's. And yes, there was a permit pulled for the garage. Cities are governments, so they have all the slowness and faults associated with that.
>>
>>1044336
its racist to assume a white guy in black winter clothing adjusting his blinds looking to see if the UPS truck is out therefor his cocAaine he bought online.
>>
>>1044333
>i have no friends and everyone thinks I'm an asshole
>>
>>1044733

Don't know or care about the latter but I do have friends that are welcome on my property. I just hate when unknowns come up. I don't know their intentions and I'm sure as fuck not going to them on my land willingly.
>>
>>1043573

Basically, anyone who wants to enter my home or ask questions regarding it, are turned away unless a prior appointment has been made by whoever they represent.

Too many crooks in the world.
>>
>>1043573
Motion flood lights are the best bang for your buck
>>
>>1044831
>best bang for your buck
that would be Sentry Alarm Mines
basically the same thing as those gook tripwires only they use nail gun or blank cartridges. completely legal and scares the shit out of anyone who trips one.
>>
>best home defence
Sounds like a question for /k/ bud.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.