[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power source for a hover craft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
My son is designing a hover craft the size of an air mattress for school. He has two leaf blowers installed to it. Both are electrical and need to be plugged in to wall outlets, one is a 3-prong and the other a 2-prong. He wants to make or otherwise buy a power source for the leaf blowers to run off of so that the hovercraft won't need to be plugged into the wall in order to run.

Car batteries are out since they are too heavy. We had considered doing something with lithium ion batteries, for example hoverboard batteries that have a 36V charge, but I don't have enough electronics knowledge to be of any real help and apparently his teacher is far less helpful.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1043479
>hoverboard batteries that have a 36V charge
get three batteries
hook in series
connect to leaf blowers
>check blowers first to assure will operate from dc
>>
>>1043479
Does it absolutely have to be cordless for a school project?
And why are gas powered blowers not an option?
>>
get a second hand walk behind blower off craigslist for cheap.
It will have more than enough power to lift a hovercraft, and when your kid is done with it, it will be useful in the fall
>>
File: images (24).jpg (11KB, 279x180px) Image search: [Google]
images (24).jpg
11KB, 279x180px
>>1043479
Buy 12volt lithium pack
Buy pick related or similar but make sure it can safely run 2 leaf blowers

Profit?
>>
>>1043490
Lol,

>mfw

I thought at first u meant the hoverboard would be useful.

Old man op walks outside.

>damn u mothernature!

>"anon! Get off the vidya games and go hover around the yard for 2 hours."
>>
>>1043639

Where is your fucking face then?
>>
>>1043479
There are high-performance cordless leaf blowers available that should work. High-capacity lithium batteries, brushless motors, the works. They're expensive, but hey, hovercraft.
>>
File: 20160825_005557.jpg (1MB, 2560x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20160825_005557.jpg
1MB, 2560x2560px
>>1043650
Right heeea anon!
>>
>>1043479
You can use a shopvac too. Just about anything will work, but it will depend on the design you use as to how efficient they will be. We use an Appliance Air Dolly that uses a cordless shopvac (DeWalt I think) to move massively heavy shit around warehouses. Normally they use the included Airsled blower.

Anyway, car batteries would be no problem for the cordless DeWalt that's 18volt.

>>1043487
>vehicle
>does it have to be cordless???

Is summer over yet?
>>
>>1043752
>>vehicle
>>does it have to be cordless???
>Is summer over yet?

I hope so, then you can head back to school.

I'm not even that anon, but you are stupid.

>School project
>It's going to float around a classroom or best case scenario a gym floor for maybe 5 minutes.
>Both places have power outlets readily available

It's not like the project is to drive 5 miles.

Also
>vehicle
>has to be cordless
>electric trains
>street cars
>bumper cars
>>
>>1043793
lol Look at this enabler.

Do it right or don't do it at all, kid.
>>
>>1043637
I like your idea, but would that battery be enough? As far as length of time goes, he'd need a minimum a few minutes of "flight" time, and the two products used as it turns out is a leaf blower (http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-180-MPH-250-MPH-400-CFM-12-Amp-Electric-High-Performance-Leaf-Blower-Vacuum-and-Mulcher-BV6000/204779374) and a box fan (https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HBF2010A-WM-Metal-20-Inch-White/dp/B0037W4YD2).

What mobile power source would be ideal?
>>
>>1043487
Like this anon asked, is gas powered an option? You can just use a small gas-engine generator for power
>>
>>1043479
so first you need to figure out your power requirements
luckily there is a calculator for that.
http://www.hoverhawk.com/lcalc.html

Doing some quick googling, it appears your leaf blowers probably use AC and use about 1320 watts:
https://wiki.ece.cmu.edu/ddl/index.php/leaf_blower

You could use batteries and an inverter, but a 3 KW inverter is not going to be cheap.

You might be able to replace the motors in the leaf blowers with hobby motors though

>> batteries that have a 36V charge
how many amp hours?
>>
>>1043824
>street cars
>electric trains

>implying these are doing it wrong
>>
>>1043479
I'm delighted to see that you'll allow your son to do something potentially dangerous, as opposed to the trend in modern parenting, which is to wrap the precious pumpkins in bubble wrap at all times.
>>
>>1043793
Electric trains have diesel generators.
Street cars and bumoper cars are "corded".
>>
File: Electric train power supply.jpg (54KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
Electric train power supply.jpg
54KB, 800x528px
>>1044136
Hybrid trains have diesel generators. Electric trains have an overhead power cable or third rail.

Trains, street cars, and bumper cars don't use cords in the sense that you can buy in a hardware store for use in a school project. They use exposed electrical contacts that extend over the vehicle's range of motion, and the vehicle bridges those contacts to allow current through its motor.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.