[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sanitizing a used shaving brush

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: shaving brush.jpg (115KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
shaving brush.jpg
115KB, 800x600px
Dad bought a used shaving brush in some flea market from a stranger. Was in shit condition, I peeled and sanded down all the varnish from the handle and put a dark + clear coat of new varnish and it looks great now, I'll give it back as a present (pic unrelated, camera broken ATM).

But how do I really sanitize it? I always bought new, myself. Hot water + soap + vinegar isn't enough for some stranger with possible AIDS and anthrax or whatever; will tiny diluted amount of bleach risk the varnish and/or whiskers? How about alcohol? How far can I push these? Any tips from craftsmen/shavers would be welcome.

Also, it's not badger, maybe boar (or something else). My dad just liked its shape and it cost him like 3 Euro.
>>
Soap and water. Are you a lunatic hypochondriac?
>>
>>1043368
>Are you a lunatic hypochondriac
Yes.
But also, would you pick up a stranger's shaving brush, just dip it in hot water and use it on yourself as-is?
>>
If he only got it for the shape of the handle, just completely replacing the knot(the hair part) is your best option. The Golden Nib sells a few grades of badger, and I believe the have boar if you want to stick with that. Badger is softer, doesn't require soaking before each use, and works better, but some people like a stiffer brush, so they'll take the time to break in a boar hair one.

Alternately, hot water, soap, and vinegar is fine too clean and sanitize it. Even the real nasty shit can't survive out by itself for more than a couple weeks. You could probably check if Barbicide is safe for the hair to work in, or if that or alcohol will check up the finish you gave it, but I don't know if it's even needed.
>>
>>1043370
Also, Google it, and check Reddit's wicked_edge subreddit, they would know.
>>
>>1043370
>>1043371

>Barbicide
Not sure I can get it in my country, let's see what it contains:
>"Barbicide is a ... combination germicide, pseudomonacide, fungicide, and a viricide ... Its active ingredient is Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (5.12% by volume)"

Uhhh yeah I don't even know what that is.

I would be much more reassured if SOMETHING that kills bacteria will wash this stuff, but I'm new to woodworking and don't know how cured varnish reacts with 70% alcohol or diluted bleach (or the knot).

Thanks for the tip about replacing the know, but that's really overkill. I just need to disinfect this and let him have a go, his current brush is an awful brittle plastic thing with no style at all.
>>
File: shaving brush.jpg (233KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
shaving brush.jpg
233KB, 800x534px
Also wet shaving general, I suppose - DE, straight razors, brushes and shaving soaps.
>>
>>1043374
Barbicide is the blue shit they stick combs into.
>>
>>1043374
Barbicide can be bought on amazon. Its always in its concentrate form and needs to be diluted for general use.

Soak the hairs in a dilute bleach concentration for an hour and rinse. Allow to dry.

Anything thats dangerous enough to be concerned with will get dead from the bleach, and most everything will die from a few weeks of drying out and exposure.

Even HIV croaks after a dozen days in dried blood even in optimal ph nuetral conditions.

Rinse it well, bleach it, rinse it, let it dry out, then treat it with coconut oil to enliven the bristle
>>
>>1043367

dad probably wanted it to use as a buttplug.. looks like a dildo.. your dad has issues
>>
>>1043436
Yeah its actually a tail butt plug
>>
Clean the bristles with soap to remove any dirt or grease.

Then soak it in mouth wash.
>>
>>1043470

kinda looks like a fluffy bunny tail buttplug
>>
Why did he buy a used one? Aren't new ones only a few bucks? I'd there some advantage?
>>
>>1043436
>>1043470
>>1043489
Samefagging is looked down upon, Anon.

>>1043620
I think he merely liked the shape of it when he was touring the market, he didn't really intend to use it since he has one already. I wouldn't buy it myself. The advantage is that you can sometimes find high quality old brushes / mugs in the hands of people who don't know their value and would sell them to you for an absurdly low price.
>>
Well, ended up going the boiling water + vinegar route, then dipped it in alcohol, and finished by cleaned it with warm water and soap (and a drop of shampoo to soften the hairs). I also made some lather with it to test it and it went pretty well. Got most/all of the old scent out of it now.

If I get my camera working, I'll post some pics of the finished product.
>>
>>1043623

get a load of this newfag who thinks he knows samefagging and cant understand who replied to whose post go back to /b/ dicksmack
>>
>>1043620
>Aren't new ones only a few bucks?
Fuck no nigga. I went looking for a new one to replace one I lost when I was moving out, and they're all heinously expensive. Shaving soaps, too. Like nine bucks apiece, and theyre not even as good as a can of foam.
>>
>>1043804
>theyre not even as good as a can of foam
They're fundamentally better.
>>
>>1043367
who uses a shaving brush?! Buy a $5 mirror with a suction cup, slap it on the wall in your shower. Use a bar of soap on your face and shave. The hot water makes your hair soft. Never had a better shave and it saves me 20 mins in the bathroom before work. Who doesn't shave in the shower these days?!

That said, you seem to be a good son and your heart is in the right place. Do your old man a favor and save some of his precious time. Toss the shaving brush
>>
>>1043855
never bought a can of foam in my life. A bar of soap works just as well if not better
>>
>>1043804
Stop buying shitty overpriced artisanal shaving soap.

>>1044095
>Who doesn't shave in the shower these days?!
People who don't want to waste gallons of water?
>>
>>1044103
Takes me 10 mins tops to hop in and out. Give it a shot, might change your life
>>
>>1044103
>People who don't want to waste gallons of water?
The notion that water can be "wasted" is kind of silly unless you live in the desert. If you are talking about "wasting" it in the sense that your bill will go up, we're talking pennies. Any "wasted" water is just going to be deposited back into the ecosystem, one way or another.
>>
>>1044135
Sure, pennies is all you see.
But all the energy and resources that go into refining that water is being "wasted"

I take whore baths, I dont actually shower. It saves so much money and hurting on the environment its not funny.
>>
>>1043367
HIV cannot survive outside the body for more then 2 weeks with ideal conditions.

And anthrax needs something to feed on inorder to survive. Besides dirt and oils. There isn't much to worry about. You can leave it in direct sunlight for like 2 days and that will kill lots of stuff....
>>
File: 1348055044358.png (3KB, 247x220px) Image search: [Google]
1348055044358.png
3KB, 247x220px
>>1044095
>who uses a shaving brush?!

Christ, /diy/ used to have lots of wet shavers, where the fuck are they. If you don't know who uses a shaving brush, search youtube for "shaving brush" and you'll find plenty of people.

OP, hope it worked out for you with your dad. Post pics.
>>
The ignorance about HIV is appalling, come on fellas it's 2016.
>>
>>1044196
>>1044141
>>
DA FUCK????

What is your next thread going to be?

How to sanitise used underwear?

FUCKING GROSS

>>1043367
>>
>>1044135
My city has a mountain range supplying us with endless clear ground water. Enourmous underground reservoir, no cost to citizens after the purification plant was downpaid (in -89).
Next town over, which is in another district, pay up to 450$ a year based on usage, spillage and consumption. I.e. you have greywater tanks, low consumption and regulated sewage, you pay like 30$.
So yeah, some places people actually invest in eco showerheads and kitchen sink nozzles.
>>
>>1044173
I am gonna post my brush that I refurbished later today, sit tight (not OP)
>>
>>1043367
the bristles are camel hair. soak them in alcohol.

done.
>>
>>1043369
Maybe you can boil it? Its good enough for sex toys
>>
>>1044256
OP here, I love refurbishing these things, post it!

>>1044286
>>1044287
You're a bit behind on the thread, friends.
The pic is unrelated, camera's still broken. Also, camel hair? never heard of a camel hair brush. I think it's horse because I badger feels different and mine is definitely not boar.
>>
File: DSC_0317.jpg (756KB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0317.jpg
756KB, 4288x2848px
>>1044329
Here ya go.
My story is somewhat the opposite to yours. This belonged to my father, who after some time grew bored of the whole process of wet shaving and started using canned foam and this brush was abandoned for some years at our vacation home. So I took it for myself.
Restoration was done as follows:
I scraped the cracked and flaking varnish off and gave it a light sanding.
At this point it was still a "for fun" thing so I experimented with something unusual; I disolved two full pens (bic) worth of blue ink in isopropanol, and gave the wooden handle two soakings with drying time inbetween. To my surprise it didn't turn out butt ugly.
After that I coated it with 6-8 coatings of superglue, then sanded it with wet sandpaper till smooth and finally buffed it.
Surprisingly it turned out great!
For the last three years I've been using it and the superglue hasn't been affected.
>>
>>1044352
It's got a nice color, I initially thought it was some sort of glazing. Why didn't you just use clear varnish? It's not really expensive, all the superglue likely cost more than a small vial of varnish.

I'll probably give my father his brush back tomorrow, then I'll see if he likes it.
>>
>>1043855
"no"

I've used both, and I've gotta say, even cheap foam rocks the shit out of expensive artisinal soaps.

For ease-of-use though, can't beat Sunlight bar soap. But even then, it's easier to apply with your hands than with any brush I've been able to find.
>>
>>1044369
The clearest wood varnish I could get would still be a bit yellowish, which would make the colour far greener. Also superglue is practically a hard plastic once it sets, I don't know if the varnish I had would stand up to being used with hot water regularly. Plus I had recently seen superglue used in this way (for the scales of a straight razor) and wanted to give it a try.

>>1044369
I have tried cheap-medium shaving foams, shaving creams in tubes and most recently a shaving soap. To me foams always felt dry. Also foams are usually more expensive per can and last way shorter than the other two. (I am not talking about anythin "artisanal" here, plain drugstore stuff.)
>>
I like the whole "how do I fix this" part of the thread, and old stuff is cool. As to you guys talking about the best way to shave, canned vs brushed vs bar soap: I haven't used any for more than 10 years. Just shave right after you get out of the shower and your hair is nice and hydrated. I figure I've saved almost $62.27 in ten years doing it that way, so you know it's worth it! Seriously, shaving cream is a waste of time.
>>
File: taylor.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
taylor.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>1044392
Ease of applying isn't the only consideration you uncultured swine. Shaving soaps and creams that you lather are often made with natural ingredients, don't include numbing agents and chemicals, are more pleasant to apply, smell better than the chemical mint smell of the canned crap and are cheaper long-term. A single jar of Taylor Of Old Bond Street (sandlewood scent) lasts me months and months, while canned gels and foams are empty in almost a month and a half.
>>
File: TB01009[1].jpg (159KB, 1212x1099px) Image search: [Google]
TB01009[1].jpg
159KB, 1212x1099px
>>1044421
>Ease of applying isn't the only consideration you uncultured swine.
This guy knows. It's akin to saying "Why bother learning to write? I can just type out everything on a computer!"

To this poster, I personally like the Eton College Collection fragrance better.
>>
>>1043369
>would you pick up a stranger's shaving brush, just dip it in hot water and use it on yourself as-is?

Sure, I don't see why not. You don't use it on mucous membranes, you use it on a face that's already clean to apply lather. The chance of contact with bodily fluids from previous owners or yourself is unlikely at best unless intentionally misused.
>>
File: Sponge-on-stick.jpg (37KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
Sponge-on-stick.jpg
37KB, 550x413px
>>1043369
>>1044483
The Roman soldiers used to use pooh sticks with a little sponge on the end to dab and scrub their buttholes after pooping. The latrines had a few sticks that everyone shared. Ain't no thang.
>>
>>1044490
Yeah, but they soaked the sticks/sponges in brine for it's antibacterial effects.
>>
>>1044494
if by brine you mean pee and pooh water
>>
>>1044490
Well we ain't Roman soldiers are we? If this is indicative of your general hygiene then I'm glad I'll never have to see you, shake your hand or bring you into my home, and I pity whatever family member you're able to still convince to live with. Or are you homeless and you're really typing this from Starbucks, wrapped in old rags and wearing dirty plastic bags for shoes?
>>
>>1043367
However much work/how much money you've put in is way more than that thing is worth to just buy a new one
>>
>>1044506
I like your Moxie anon. You can share my poohsponge any day.
>>
>>1044512

>buying something new instead of repairing something old and useful

i thought this was /diy/ for a second my mistake.
>>
>>1043369
>never been shaved by a barber
Relax, it's kept external, and it is used to apply shaving SOAP.

I remember having the lather applied to the back of my neck with the brush, then the barber shaved me with the old school straight razor, before wiping it clean with a hot towel. Good childhood memories of a clean shorn neck after a hair cut.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.