[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Insulation under bathtub/shower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Expanding foam.jpg (115KB, 1000x851px) Image search: [Google]
Expanding foam.jpg
115KB, 1000x851px
I have space under my bathtub that is kinda big. I was wondering if I could fill it with expanding foam to insulate it better. I have heard to do this it is imperative that you fill the tub full of water before doing this as it sets it better. The foam can also if you are not careful, lift the tub off the ground and crack it. Would it be a bad idea all together to do it? I live in northern USA so it gets pretty cold here in the winter.
>>
>>1042928
Air is a great insulator which is what makes expanding foam a good insulator, it's full of air bubbles.
If you can plug any draughty gaps it should be about the same.
If you want the same effect without the worry throw in some bubble wrap or packing peanuts I guess if you like mess
>>
>>1042932
As he said stop the drafts

I think stuffing insulation around the tub would work great and it wouldn't be as permanent as using foam. If your tub cracked or need to be resurfaced i feel the foam would be a serious pain in the future.
>>
File: 0513151740-00.jpg (143KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
0513151740-00.jpg
143KB, 960x1280px
>>1042928
Building code states that bathtubs are to be anchored with either foam or acoustical mud.

I use foam, because it comes in a can and isn't a sloppy mess like the acoustical mud.
Typically takes 3 cans, get the kind that says "Window and Door"

Fill tub with cold water, inject foam where the bottom of the tub is closest to the floor

Sides of the tub get packed with mineral wool insulation

Enjoy a bath that doesn't get cold or transmit sound like a drum.
>>
>>1042950
At first reading the op I thought was a full retard. But having put in a bath that came with flimsy shit legs and only a sliver of chipboard on the bottom to screw into, expanding foam sounds much easier than fannying around trying to build an entire fucking frame for it especially when you can't fit it in the bathroom while your working
I would say you yanks are finally onto a winner if I didn't ever have to rip one of those cunts out. No fucking thanks!!
>>
I was thinking of doing this to my tub, it seems to get cold quickly and I don't really want to rip it out to put batts in, but as another anon said air is great insulation, which I had never thought of..
So what's the consensus? Worth it or nah? My tub is upstairs, floorboards under it, and a box built around it, should be fairly insulated as there is a room underneath it
>>
>>1042950
Where I live you have to use concrete. It has nothing to do with sound or temperature. It has to do with structural stability. People break the fiberglass when they step into the tub near the edge (fat Americans, no joke). Basically, you make a shallow form filled with concrete then set the tub down into it. The form is hidden since it is all directly under the curved walls of the tub.
>>
>>1042928
>I have space under my bathtub that is kinda big. I was wondering if I could fill it with expanding foam to insulate it better.
I've never heard of it, but I live in the US midwest.

One thing for sure: the spray-can foam won't work for this, since it tends to collapse if you spread it more than about a half-inch deep.

Try this experiment:
1. take a plastic tube about 8 inches long and ~1 inch across, and spray it full of this foam from both ends. Then let it dry for 4 or 5 days, to make certain it has all had a chance to dry.
2. Then cut it open lengthwise with a saw,,,, and you will see that almost all of the foam in the center collapsed. The only bit of foam left is two small patches covering both ends of the tube. All the stuff in the middle will have collapsed into liquid and settled at the bottom of the tube before it could dry.

You can spray successive layers, but each new layer partly dissolves the previous layer you are spraying it on. For crack filler it works great--but this product simply doesn't work well when used to fill big spaces. That's not what it is for.

If you paid a place to come in and spray 2-part PU foam, then it would work. They could get it filled 100% with solid foam.
>>
>>1044246
>Basically, you make a shallow form filled with concrete then set the tub down into it.

That's kind of like what we used to do with acoustical mud.
Same principal since acoustical mud is really nothing more than Plaster of Paris with pearlite or styrofoam beads.

And let me guess; it's either California or New York/New Jersey that mandate the concrete setting? Those states are bass-ackwards in the building trades, still mandating "hot mop" tar and copper pans for shower construction; instead of the modern foam and fleece products. Insanity.

>>1044266
>for sure: the spray-can foam won't work for this

Ignore this damn dumb ass
He doesn't know jack of all what he's on about.
hundreds of thousands, nay millions, of bath tubs have been installed on expanding foam for over 20 years, because IT WORKS.
Expanding foam does not "collapse", that's absurd, the only trick is to use ENOUGH foam, like I said earlier, typically takes like 3 cans.

I've done work in both Ohio and Florida, in both States, if the tub is not anchored in with either foam or mud the Inspector FAILS the job. Meaning it gets riped out to be done over again.

In apartments buildings, where we were doing 200 units, pulling out the old bathtubs that were installed in the early 1990's... there was SPARY FOAM under those tubs. Makes it a bitch to pull the tub out. And when the crews got around to installing 200 new cast iron Kohler Bellwether tubs, the tubs were set in FOAM. Though mainly for the sound deadening since the building was going condo.
>>
>>1044278
>Ignore this damn dumb ass
>He doesn't know jack of all what he's on about.
>hundreds of thousands, nay millions, of bath tubs have been installed on expanding foam for over 20 years, because IT WORKS.
>Expanding foam does not "collapse", that's absurd, the only trick is to use ENOUGH foam, like I said earlier, typically takes like 3 cans.
oh reeeally now
then why is it that if you search google for "spray foam insulation", all it shows is 2-part-foam kits?

(the kits all have two tanks, because there's 2 different ingredients that must be kept separate but that get mixed in the spray gun nozzle)

the aerosol cans are only for filling small cracks and applying thin layers
if you want to fill a larger space, you gotta get 2-part foam. the 1-part foam will not work right.
and they DO sell DIY kits, but these are rather expensive for what you get and it may be cheaper to have a place do it for you.
>>
>>1044164
He meant the air in the foam. The expanding foam has air bubbles trapped in it.
>>
>>1044415
>the aerosol cans are only for filling small cracks and applying thin layers
I can confirm this. My dad found a weird hole in our basement cement (like a perfect rectangle) and it took 2+ cans to fill.
>>
Weep
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.