[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fixing up "Leather" sheath

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160822_174401_637.jpg (148KB, 685x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160822_174401_637.jpg
148KB, 685x1024px
Its my dads birthday next week. He likes knives, so i bought him a traditional Higonokami, and a modernized one(Liner lock, G-10 Scales, D2 steel, etc...) that came with, what the seller claims, a real leather sheath.
When i look at the sheath, it kind of looks like its leather on the inside(That furry soft stuff) but on the external size it really feels like plastic.

Is this real leather, or PU junk? And if its leather, is there anything i can add to it to make it look less like something someone would assume is cheap PU junk?
>>
File: IMG_20160822_174334_779.jpg (88KB, 739x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160822_174334_779.jpg
88KB, 739x576px
>>1042757
Another pic
>>
File: IMG_20160822_174418_596.jpg (61KB, 498x883px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160822_174418_596.jpg
61KB, 498x883px
>>1042758
>>1042757
3rd pic.

It came from China, but the actual quality in assembling it looks pretty good, and it fits the knife reasonably well, giving that a higonokami has that spine that sticks out beyond the handles(so really tight form-fitting sheaths wont do)
>>
OP here:
I should also ask if anyone here knows what that rivet hole on the side is for. Just aesthetics and to make it stand out? Adding some cord to wear it around your neck? Or is there some modular standardized system on some belts or harnesses that it can clip into? Figure i should know, if its worth keeping to hand off to my dad. If it has some function, that might be the saving grace...
>>
Well I can't say I've ever seen fake leather with the rawhide "fuzz" texture on the inside. Only thing I could think to suggest would be a smell/taste test, cut a teeny sliver off a internal edge to see if it has fibrous connections, or seeing how it takes mink oil or saddle soap, since presumably fake leather wouldn't absorb the oil. (But it's probably just cheap Chinese leather.)

The rivet hole is probably just for aesthetics, though you could easily attach a firesteel or macrame or something to it.
>>
imo it just looks like fresh leather
>>
>>1042804
Yup - looks like the cowhide leather I used to buy scraps of to make archery arm guards as a kid - even to the 'furring' at the edges.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85KB, 1440x1093px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85KB, 1440x1093px
>>1042798
Ok. Thanks. Is there a kind of oil or treatment i can put on it to make it feel a bit more rigid(and preferably darker) without damaging it? I know its just cheap chinese leather, but like i said before, short of making a custom sheath i doubt i'll find anything to fit it because of the spine on the blade(pic related. Theres that little thumb handle thing at 5 o'clock that sticks out maybe half an inch past the scales)
>>
Thats just how polished leather looks. Give it a few years of use and weathering and it'll have less of a sheen and feeling like plastic. If you've done it before, try doing a little embossing of the leather, otherwise leave it alone.

I would assume the rivet hole is to attach a chain or rope or lanyard to either the knife or something in a pocket.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.