[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal Casting Rig

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Metal Casting Rig.jpg (74KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Metal Casting Rig.jpg
74KB, 1920x1080px
Aspiring jewelryfag here, i want to do wax loss plaster casting of jewelry, particularly rings.

Modern shops seem to use centrifugal force to feed the molten metal into the cast, but I'm poor and don't want to drop a grand on a glorified merry go round

Pic related is my idea for a gravity fed casting system. The melty bit is a crucible designed for centrifuges. It has a hole on the left side, which leads to a funnel. The mold is basically a steel can with plaster of paris in it, and the funnel leads there.

To use, heat the crucible with the metal via torch. Should probably add boric acid because i read that it helps with bubbles. Then when it's melty, rotate the setup so the metal pours into the mold.

It looks like it'll work to me, but what does /diy/ think? Anybody with experience in this sorta thing would be much appreciated
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>>1042633
Why not just pour it by hand? Is there something I'm missing here?
>>
>>1042633
You can make a centrifuge out of a $5 swap meet bicycle dude...
>>
>>1042707
It's hot, and I'm lazy

>>1042708
An interesting thought. I might do that, if i can fasten the stuff to the rim properly.
>it should probs be steel over aluminum alloy though
>>
>>1042707
I'm wondering this also, what's the advantage of spinning the mold vs just pouring it in by hand??
>>
>>1042806
It helps to get any air bubbles out. You could also use a vacuum machine though as well.
>>
>>1042633
>i want to do

you want to do to try something new or you want to do because you have experience with it already...

assuming you have a kiln already
>>
What are you going to melt?
Pewtercasting doesn't need spinning if the mold isnt too thin
A ring can easily be gravity casted, just prepare the mold correct and heat up the metal adequately.
For aluminium you can use sandcasting. For Brass, buy time at a proper caster
>>
>>1042811
Bronze, initially. And cupronickel, I've got a lot of that.

>>1042809
A lot of casters I've seen only get up to 2k F, but i should theoretically be able to get higher with a blowtorch. I've seen that setup used in even modern rigs because it's simple.

If I'm dealing with platinum or steel, I'll need an oxy torch or at least not butane

>>1042808
As I said in OP, I've heard boric acid helps with bubbles. I'll probably build a basic centrifuge in addition to that, but vacuum tables are expensive
>>
>>1042873
Brass rings can color your skin and the copper in it might give allergies, the nickel surely will give an allergic reaction, so carefull with rings.
Make some pins, buckle or a broche with it. Pewter for rings is no problem,
>>
>>1042633

For small parts you can literally tie a string on to your mold (or something your mold sits in) and twirl it about like a sling. They have been doing it this way for thousands of years. The centripetal spring loaded machines where only invented by lazy jews that did not want to go through the effort of twirling something around there heads because even that amount of labor was too much to ask of them.
>>
Swinging molten metal around your head is fun, but to get the best fine detail, you need to spin the metal in without delay, and your flask needs to be hot also... spring loaded means when everthing is right, you let it go and its done. Should be easy to build, but put a ring of sheet metal around it in case you overestimate how much metal you needed:)
>>
>>1042974
>brass can color your skin
Interesting, but i definitely said bronze
Also, how on earth could you NOT react to pewter?
>>
The main advantage to centrifugal casting is that you can get detail finer than the surface tension of the molten metal. Also, with the right investment, you dont need to sprue as heavily, as the investment plaster is porous enough to let small volumes of air escape...
>>
>>1042633
Making a vacuum assist rig would be easier and safer. Plus you can use it to degas investment plaster as well.

>bend a metal sheet into a table
>put some fittings on the underside
>attach suction end of fridge compressor to fitting on underside of table
>take up your mould flask, apply mould release to one side.
>pump some temperature rated silicone sealant onto the top of your sheet metal.
>press moulding flask into it - this sets to form your gasket

To cast

>place your heated flask onto your gasket
>turn on fridge compressor.
>it sucks the flask to the gasket forming a seal
>as the plaster is porous it then pulls a vacuum on the inside of your mould.
>pour in molten metal
>?????????
>profit?????

If the vacuum from the compressor is insufficient then put a tank in between, pull a vacuum in the tank first then transfer it to the table via a ball valve or something.
>>
>>1043190
Sorry, Brass and bronze, mixed it up. But both contain copper and the coppersalts can color your skin.
You might get an allergy to pewter but this is not as common as nickel.
I think pewter is a good start for rings due to the lower melting temperature.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.