[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This Old Table

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0048.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0048.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hi /diy/ I recently got this table from my grandparents house and I'm not sure how to get it back together without damaging it.

I tried putting it together, but once I get the bolts in and stood it up there is a gap of a couple milimeters on the surface between the base and the table parts, and they slump down enough to worry me. I took it back apart because I thought maybe I'd put the base on backwards, but the holes definitely aren't drilled for it to be put together any other way. Some of the bolts barely tighten, and the ones that do were tight enough that tightening them further would damage the table.
The table hasn't been assembled for a few years, but I don't remember it sagging or having gaps between the base and the table portions when my grandparents were using it. Does /diy/ have any advice? Will I have to drill new holes? Build a new base? I'm not very handy and this has been stressful because I'm worried I'll break the table.

Pic related and more to come
>>
File: IMG_0049.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0049.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_0051.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0051.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_0050.jpg (1MB, 2444x2633px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0050.jpg
1MB, 2444x2633px
>>
File: IMG_0052.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0052.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>1042308
Oops, I mean to post a pic of the base. That's a chair I bought at an estate sale.
>>
>>1042305
Place table on floor, bottom up (top against carpet). Place base on table, at the same angle in this pic. Line up holes. Insert screws.
>>
Wood expands and contracts with moisture, so the gap sounds plausible. Plus the table might not have been well-engineered to begin with.
>>
>>1042317
That's what I did the first time.
>>
>>1042321
Is there anything I can do to fix this? The gap, wobbliness, and slant look bad enough that I'm worried I'll wake up to a collapsed table.
>>
>>1042329
Somebody can probably give you more informed advice, but maybe retrofit with threaded inserts?
>>
>>1042329
Those bolts don't go into threaded inserts do they? They look like self tapping roof screws from the pictures.

If they are get wider gauge versions as they are not biting into the wood anymore
>>
File: rys5.png (5KB, 296x167px) Image search: [Google]
rys5.png
5KB, 296x167px
>>1042321
>might not have been well-engineered to begin with.
That's poor design. Woodworking 101 - never screw solid wood table top to base.
>>1042329
Think about how you can attach top with some room for contraction/expansion like pic or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny53AyB1a6g
>>
Could always try screw with glue, if you don't want it to come apart ever.
Otherwise maybe a longer screw if you can get a couple extra millimeters out of it, since it probably isn't pulling the top down enough to hold the weight.
only other things that comes to mind is the edge isn't square
show pic of gap too.
>>
>>1042399
>>1042447
I'm not very comfortable with woodworking, how much would it cost to pay someone to do this? If it were just cheap wood I wouldn't worry about it, but it's California redwood.
>>
>>1042755
It would be a day rate and transport costs. Which would add up.
To be honest anyone with any site or construction experience could measure and pop brackets on it in ten minutes if you've got a friend in the trades or a neighbour would be the best bet
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.