[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homesteading/ off the grid building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (562KB, 1107x867px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
562KB, 1107x867px
I was considering buying some cheap innawoods land as I have always wanted to own some land in the sticks. However I realized that building far from contractors, materials, and the necessity to provide septic, drill a well, solar etc might make the whole thing impossibly expensive.

If I attempted this I wouldn't immediately just go live in the woods obviously, but maybe work up from a cabin to a vacation spot to possibly full time living.

I'd also have to construct a dwelling without doing some stupid trailed tiny house shit. It would be an actual to code small house, but the code requirements really only need a 120 sq foot bedroom. I could possibly use timber on the land.

tl:dr

1. Is building from nothing off grid to a decent living expensive as fuck
2. What are some cheap diy methods of construction
3. General homestead discussion/ insights
>>
>>1041852
1. Depends on your skills and location.
2. Depends on your skills and location i.e. availability of stuff, see Primitive Technologies
3. Homestead is not diy building, diy building is not tiny house, tiny house is not homestead, you need to sort out what the fuck do you actually want/need to do.
>>
>>1041857

Location would be the u.s northwest, skills as of now is minimum.

Basically the goal is to build a to code dwelling with water and sewer, Doing as much myself as I can manage.
>>
>>1041865
>Somewhere in the entire continent
>No skill
>No size
>Need water and toilet
>Diy but not diy

You know too little and too unspecific for us to have any meaningful discussion

If you want a house, build a house, if you want to a house off grid, build a house off grid, if you want to live in the woods off grid, then do that, what do you want?
>>
>>1041869

It's fairly well know the northwest of the united states generally refers to Oregon and Washington, sometimes Idaho.

I already said the code size is a 120 sq ft bedroom.

I'm not asking for /diy/ to walk me through building a house, I'm asking for some information akin to the geodesic dome guy or other alternative building techniques, earthen houses etc. The thread is also for anyone that has had experiences building in isolated areas to share what sort of unexpected costs I may run in to.

I don't know why I need to outline the entire OP again, maybe you shouldn't bother posting if you don't understand. And if you wan't to bitch about the quality of the thread, there are far far dumber threads in the catalog right now that people seem to have no issue helping with.
>>
>>1041872
I don't know why you are being butt hurt, you don't even know what you want, you are seriously considering a dome, that indicates you have no fucking clue what even the shit you are talking out of your mouth. You are the dumb bitch here seriously asking how to build a house but not a house, and to diy but not diy, maybe on the grid a little and off the grid. You don't even know what the fuck you are talking about, nobody will be able to understand what the fuck you are asking, if you are even trying to ask something.

But as a general rule, we don't welcome teenage fantasy projects here because they know fuck all and you are showing strong indications of exactly that. If you don't know what you want, go google the fuck out, then come back if you want to bury a container somewhere, then we can talk.
>>
File: 1470806533191.jpg (139KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470806533191.jpg
139KB, 960x960px
>>1041883

I just typed a long and angry post about how little reading comprehension you seem to have, but for the sake of how long this is going to be on the catalog I deleted it.

I would like to build a small cabin, with at least a separate 120 sq ft bedroom, with the option for some sort of septic and well water hookup in future. It's not going to be on the grid, whatsoever hence the title. I'm going to /diy/ it but I'd consider having contractors lay a foundation, and drill the well. I'm not asking on how to build the entire cabin, I'm asking if you or anyone has any ideas for unique construction, or if anyone has tried building to this extent on isolated property before. Any sort of infographics or schematics relating to /diy/ structure projects could also be posted here.

I hope this clarifies my question.

Please don't be so rude in my thread.
>>
Let's be real, OP, you're never going to do any of this.
>>
x
>>
>>1041886
It does not clarify fuck all, all you are saying is, you have no idea except you have the basic concept of foundations of a building, and then you have fuck all. Zero. No idea. You don't know what you want. A small cabin with a bedroom is a cabin and you can't make it unique by making it into dome shape, it will only make you look like a fucking idiot, but you already look like a fucking idiot because you are seriously thinking about a dome. The only useful clue we have is "off grid cabin", there are a million ways of going about it, why don't you google the shit before posting here without a fucking clue? Like we all said before, don't come asking for fucking ideas if you have no fucking clue what you even want and before you fucking googled fuck all and decided what you want other than a fucking "cabin" that is buildable fucking everywhere. Here is an idea, use concrete, because then you won't have to do it yourself because hiring builders dont need any skill from you which you have no fucking clue.

In the mean time lurk the fuck more before making any of these teenage fantasy threads because we don't solve problems that don't fucking exist because there is google for that shit.
>>
>>1041896
>>1041883
Wow. Someone forgot to take their meds.
> I'm asking if you or anyone has any ideas for unique construction, or if anyone has tried building to this extent on isolated property before.
>The thread is also for anyone that has had experiences building in isolated areas to share what sort of unexpected costs I may run in to.
This is what the thread is about. Simple.
It's a bit off from the core of /diy/ because OP is not asking "how do I do this?" but looking for discussion around the difficulties in doing what they already plan to do themselves.
>>1041890
This is probably correct though.
>>
>1041883
>Seriously kill yourself unless English isn't your native language that you can't understand shit.
>>Doing as much myself as I can manage.
>This one line seems to have just caused you to sperg out, like you can't comprehend that I might want to have the foundation poured by contractors and build the frame myself or something to that measure, It's not like I typed out "not sure if I wan't to /diy/ it or not" I fucking said, A DWELLING TO CODE
>>it would be an actual to code small house
>And you keep coming back with "wtf do you want" 120 Sq Ft bedroom, I've said it twice. Use your imagination to conceive the rest of what I mean, it's on vacant land, I probably don't mean I want a 120 sq ft bedroom attached to a mansion. I likely mean a small cabin with that as a feature. You also complain I can't decide if I want to be on the grid or off the grid, when I never said anything about being connected to shit. As if septic and well are mutually exclusive to being on a grid, they are the fucking opposite, and yes, I said water and sewer in my second post, because I'd assume you would be able to figure what I meant when I mentioned a well and septic in OP, and the thread is called OFF THE GRID BUILDING.
>Then I tell you fine, don't bother with telling me how to build shit lets just talk about alternative construction and building shit far away from other shit, and you just complain about the same stupid bullshit, maybe you just complain about the supposed "vagueness of my ideas" because you don't know shit and have nothing to contribute.
>Telling me to go research other things on my own might be the best advice you can give because I don't know why I would even bother consulting with sperglords like you who don't understand how a conversation works, and will just tell be to build a house out of a shipping container or some dumb shit.
>You have outline how useless this board is for anything beyond the most basic of problems. Yes I'm mad, Fuck you.
>>1041886
>>
>>1041852
>1. Is building from nothing off grid to a decent living expensive as fuck

You'll need skills, materials, and tools. If you already have all of these it will be relatively cheap. How much of the work can you do yourself? How much work will you have to pay somebody else to do?
Can you make trees into lumber, or will you buy lumber? Do you own tools that don't need electricity? Do you have a backhoe to put in the septic system? How about a well rig?

>2. What are some cheap diy methods of construction

Mud hut, snow cave?

>3. General homestead discussion/ insights

Have you worked in construction or farming?
I suggest you start by building a large shed. Sheds aren't usually subject to building code, so no inspections and no definite deadline. This will give you some small insight into what it takes to build offgrid.
>>
>>1041901
You have no fucking clue what even the shit you are talking about, 120 sq ft bedroom doesn't mean shit, it means fuck all even if you put in the least amount of description, but you didn't and ask for our fucking imagination, guess what, what you said does not inspire any imagination because the only possible case here is a fucking teenager trying to do a grown up discussion about a fucking fantasy which has zero specific point, it might as well be a hut made out of candy if that is your fucking thing, you can eat the candy, you can drink from the rain, you can shit behind a tree, there you have it, a fucking HOME FUCKING STEAD in your fucking nowhere.

You have obviously not even googled that shit LIKE I TOLD YOU you need to fuck the right off and GOOGLE THAT SHIT before you open your mouth because you have NO IDEA how it stinks of ignorance.

"I will pay people to pour the foundation, other than that I know fuck all" why the fuck are you talking about foundation if you have no clue what the fuck you are building? You have no fucking clue like I said, no fucking clue, get the fuck out and stop shitting your fantasy because it AINT REAL.

TO CODE

fuck me, you are not even legal to drink
>>
>>1041872
The biggest thing is water. Make sure the land you buy has proven wells, or can hook up to a water supply without too much trouble. Had some friends that bought rural land in northern CA for same purpose as you, but with only "likely" presence of wells, after spending $10k on drilling and surveys they discovered that there was no water accessible from their land. You can get by without electricity, set up various forms of sewage disposal, etc. but unless you plan on trucking in tanks of water you will want a source available.
>>
>>1041896
>>1041912

You can leave the thread if you don't enjoy it.

>>1041900
>>1041905

Thanks for your insights, I work as a mariner right now, with some experience running heavy equipment and some basic non skilled construction labor, I plan on getting into conservation so hopefully I can build some skills with hand tools and surveying. The shed is a good idea.

>>1042011

Good to know about the well situation, would definitely be unfortunate to come up dry for water. I know the ground needs to pass a percolation test for the possibility of septic, but a compost toilet or something similar could work, or even just haul a portajohn out there.
>>
>>1042011
This is what I came to post.
Friend with land outside of las Vegas was told by well company they MIGHT hit water at 2,500 feet, but no guarantee.
That would be about a $25,000 bill to NOT have water.
I bought land where you can throw a baseball, drill where it lands and hit water in 50 feet.

Check catalog, other threads on this topic. Myself and others have posted a lot of good information.

Posted from a cabin innawoods
>>
>>1042211
Oh ya most the threads are over on /out/
>>
>>1042211
How do you have internet?
>>
>>1042714
Its actually pretty funny.
I have 4g LTE at home.
In "town" its 1x or nothing.
I honestly thing my metal cabin roof is some parraabelum antennae or some shit- I barely had reception before I had it.
BTW, satellite internet is a thing now.
>>
>no access to contractors
>needs septic and we'll

Hope you're handy with a shovel

>no access to contractors
>wants it built to code
>asks for unique construction methods

Uh...assembling your code house with harry potter magic.

Great thread, op.
>>
>>1041852
If I was you, I'd buy a good book on building innawoods.
Earth ship, Cobb construction, straw bale, etc.
Self composting toilet will save you from septic.

I don't know how aggressive your building codes are, in my county they suck, but a twenty minute drive and I'm in a much more relaxed county. Codes can change the $ level quickly.
You will never DIY a well, just get a professional.
Your question is so open ended, it's hard to be specific. Due to your knowledge level, I'd recommend looking into kit cabins, or "earth ships" depending on your preference.
I'd recommend more research on off grid building, and you clarify WHAT you want.

Personally, I've looked into using old tires and stucco on the outside, with normal stick framing on the inside. Mainly because of access to materials and insulation factor.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.