[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LED backlight strips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Anyone have experience with these?
I've a TV that's playing sound and showing picture but the backlight's not lighting.
There's two backlight strips and each has 11 LEDs on it.
I pulled the reflectors off so I could test them with a multimeter.
I did a diode test on them all (multimeter can
actually light them) and one LED is blown.

Is it possible to replace the single LED? I assume it's just some surface mount white LED.
Are they high power or something? I held a through hole LED in place while powering up the tv and all the LEDs came on but the through-hole one blew in a few seconds.
>>
so you have a multimeter but you test by holding small LEDs in place of other components?
>>
>>1041644

Can you order a whole new strip? Would probably be easier.
>>
>>1041659
New strip is gonna cost me €40
>>
>>1041654
Wanted to make sure the driver was still okay.
It won't output the proper voltage if the LEDs aren't connected
>>
>>1041644

had a shitty walmart brand TV with these thing sin it... the board shorted out the entire strip. was pushing 20+ volts ot the led strips and burned them all out. wasnt worth fixing cause these strips are expensive, plus replacing thr control board for another $60 and with the strips. it cost more than the tv was worth. cheaper to just buy a new TV unless you can find a donor TV that the backlight works and swap out the strips.

these shitty tvs arent made to be repaired easily, unless you are replacing shitty capacitors which is a common problem for these things
>>
>>1041668
The driver needs to be putting out high voltage.
The TV I have has 22 LEDs that need about 3.6V each so the driver needs to put out ~80V
>>
>>1041675

you know the leds are wired in parallel right
so 22 leds that are 12v wont need 80v supplied
>>
>>1041679
They're in series, hence none of them light up when one's blown. Driver puts out the 80V for a few seconds when it powers up but then stops after a second or two.
>>
>>1041681
If that's true then it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard and you should biy a new TV instead of diying a repair on this shit.
>>
>>1041781
It's no my TV, just doing it for a friend.
I'm just wondering if it's possible to desolder and resolder a LED onto them strips.
Believe me I know these Vestel TVs are complete shite anyway and will probably have something else die a few months down the line
>>
>>1041661
Just shell out the Euros for a complete strip, each LED on it will be matched closely for light output uniformity and if you replace just one LED you'll probably have a light or dark spot on your screen and it'll drive you crazy.
>>
>>1041781
You can't parallel LEDs broseph. Rookie mistake.
>>
>>1041661

Is there a junkyard you can troll for a similar model?
>>
>>1041781
That's literally how every LED light strip and every LED TV ever is made. Series equals higher voltage equals less current equals higher efficiency equals cheaper production.

OP, I've fixed a few of these, it's pretty common. We usually grab a new used LED out of a TV with a busted LCD. Remove the lens (it's glued), use hot air to desolder the LEDs, put some fresh solder on the strip you're fixing and solder the new LED in with hot air.

I've never seen any issue relating to uneven brightness, because one LED out of 100 just doesn't make a difference through the diffusors. Sony LED in Samsung TV, makes no difference. As long as they physically fit, it works well enough.

Good luck!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.