[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Used furniture bed bug cleaning DIY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Bed_Bug_On_Carpet.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bed_Bug_On_Carpet.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
/diy/ I'm broke and I want to pick up some used furniture from craigslist

I've done this before and gotten ridiculously good deals, like $100 desks for $15 etc

The problem is I've recently become ultra paranoid about bed bugs. I've never had bed bugs, I've never seen bed bugs, I've never gotten a piece of furniture with them, etc.

This time though, I want to buy a bed (not the mattress, just the frame). I've heard bedbugs are an absolute nightmare to deal with. So I got to thinking -- what would be the most effective way to pre treat a piece of used furniture I buy to make sure that if it had any bed bugs I'd be able to kill them?

Some preliminary research:
>diatomaceous earth slices them up if the bugs walk over it
>heat treatment (50 to 60c I think) for an extended period of time will kill them
>there are bed bug sprays, bombs and professional grade strips

Anyone know how I might go about pre treating something to make sure I kill any of these bastards if they exist?

Most of the postings I see on craigslist for bed frames are basically disassembled pick up.

Used furniture is really tempting because some of these beds cost like $200 or $300 and they are being sold for like $50
>>
a used $300 bed would be a horrible ripoff at $50, what's wrong with you.
>>
>>1041626
why is that a horrible rip off?
>>
>>1041614
Heat is the best way to kill them.

bed frames can almost alwyas be broken down, so break it down and clean out all the knooks and crannies you can. Heat the whole thing to bed bug temperature (google heat treatment bed bug or something)
>>
>>1041642
Because you can get it for free from a skip.

Also, try smoking out the bed bugs.

Seal up a small room with duct tape and drop a bag or two of dry ice in there.

Bugs will died. Heil Hitler.
>>
>>1041614
set that thing on fire and drive away
>>
File: youre kidding.jpg (43KB, 738x473px) Image search: [Google]
youre kidding.jpg
43KB, 738x473px
>>1041614
WHY!?

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT TO TAKE THAT CHANCE, FUCKING BUY A NEW BED, YOU FUCKING MORON!
>>
>>1041614
I wouldn't take the risk but good old alcohol works. Just fill a spray bottle with isopropyl or heck even cheap ass vodka and spray the shit out of the stuff.
>>
>>1041614
Go to your homedepot or lumberyard or w/e and buy a shitload of 2x4's and make a bed frame for that $50.
>>
>>1041761
This ^^^

End result will be sturdier.

DIY's autist uncle Matthias Wandel made a bitching bed frame from dimensional lumber if I remember the video correctly he showed
four 2x10
and four 2x8
>>
>>1041614
use gas to kill everythin
>>
>>1041727
I'm going to have to go with this.

I'll buy just about anything used, but beds and related stuff are not one of them. I want the place where I sleep to be fresh, virgin materials. Not full of somebody else's dead skin and bugs.
>>
>>1041727
Buy a new house*
>>
The local consignment shop in our area puts them in a heated room of sorts for 6 hours then into a sealed bag which they then put in a walk in freezer for 6 months. Never heard one person complain of getting bed bugs from one of their pieces of furniture. That said if there's obvious signs of bed bugs I wouldn't even bother... There's most definitely another deal to be had without those little fuckers crawling all over the place
>>
Don't even take the chance with a used bed/frame. It would be extremely easy to miss a stray bedbug or egg, and they can live up to 400 days without any food. The money you'll save from buying a used bed/frame won't even touch how much you'll end up paying in treatments and the legit psychological effects you'll get if you become infested with bedbugs.
>>
>>1041614
Dude, just run a metal frame with no headboard
They cost like 25$ new
>>
Put a poster: bed Bugs are not allowed
>>
Pest control tech here.

For wooden furniture, inspect thoroughly and spray any nooks or crannies with Sterifab (alcohol).

For upholstered furniture and beds, inspect thoroughly, and spray with Gentrol to kill any unseen eggs.

If you see live adult bed bugs, spotting (feces), or cast off shells on the furniture, just walk away. Tangling with bed bugs is not an easy thing to DIY, and isn't worth it for used furniture.
>>
>>1041656
Can I use that on semites?
>>
Pest tech here also companies always get call backs on one time chem treatments. Heat treatment is most effective. Place In a space that you can raise the temperature to between 135 and 145 degrees Fahrenheit. With a probe check that the internal temperature reaches 135 minimum and maintain those conditions for at least 4 hours after the minimum is reached. In cujunction with chemical treatment I never had a call back
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.