[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help removing a virus from my computer. It's an adware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

I need help removing a virus from my computer. It's an adware program called privoxy. I keep having to go into program files to delete it. It always comes back after a day or so.
>>
Adwcleaner
>>
>>1041469
>nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure
Time to reformat, anon. What OS disc(s) do you have available to you?
>>
>>1041469
Post on /g/ so more people can laugh at you.
>>
>>1041469
The best thing to do when removing adware is to boot into the lowest possible operating mode of windows whichwill allow your software to run with the least amount of junk.

Safe mode can be slow for large disk activities. When I used to clean computers Id drop into what I called "run once" mode.

Open "regedit" from the run dialog.

The stuff in here is kind of dangerous. Dont change anything you don't know what it is.

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
inside that key navigate the folders following the path
Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/runonce

On the right hand pane right click and say "add new value" or something to do with "string".

Name it whatever you want.

For the string value put in "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe"

Before you reboot find your adware removal and any cleaning software locations. I.e. where they are on the disk. Write it down if you cant remember.

Finally reboot. When your shit reboots youll have your background and a command prompt window. AS LONG AS this window stays open then the system will remain haulted. Its in a low service state with only neccasary services started. Right now a good majority of the maleare and adware out there won't be loaded into memory or running. (Some stuff inserts itself deeper though)

Using the command prompt start your cleaning programs one by one and run their full and complete scans.

Once you're happy with the results you can close the command prompt by typing 'exit' or using the X. Windows will finish booting.

95% of the time this was all i had to do to get shit cleaned. If anything couldn't be resolved that way then a complete format and reinstall was performed and easier.
>>
>>1041477
>Time to reformat, anon. What OS disc(s) do you have available to you?
this guy knows ^^^

MS has admitted that Windows can get infected in ways that it cannot repair itself

the only way that is 100% certain is to just blow the partition and totally reinstall the OS

if you are wise you would have a second physical hard drive for your personal files. *most* normal malware just alters the master hard drive and leaves the slaves alone
>>
What is the best free antivirus software?
>>
>>1041469
>privoxy
do you use the tor bundle, by chance?
anyway, you can use process-explorer (
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx
) to watch/stop/kill processes/cpu/memory and search for files. you have to do remove it by hand, though...

here's how to do it:
you change the name of the procexp executable, because some malware can detect it and kill it... then you run it as admin. once it's running, in the list, look for the processes that don't have a well known "company name" and suspend it. then locate the exe file itself by double-clicking in the process, copying its location, opening the location in winrar/7zip (NOT with the windows explorer) and remove it by pressing shift+del. after that, you use autorunsc.exe to remove it from the autoruns list...

guess I'm not explaining everything, because the process is relatively complex if you don't understand shit, but there are many videos and tutorials out there that explan how to do this:
https://peter.hahndorf.eu/tech/malware.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfxI9NtUa8U
https://www.google.com/search?q=procexp+remove+malware
>>
>>1041480
/g/ is the reason he is here.
>>
>>1041469
install gentoo
>>
>>1041469
>privoxy
wasn't that part of TOR+Vidalia+Privoxy bundle before the TOR Browser Bundle era?
>>
>>1041469
>fdisk.exe
>>
Revo Uninstaller is the only software you'll ever need for viruses.
>>
Linux partition or usb stick, or reformatting.
>>
>>1041469
>MSSEC
>Spybot
Run those two and you're going to kil 99.9% of anything. If all else fails, also run
>MalwareBytes
>>
File: bodyfat_bmi_jumbo_v2.png (391KB, 840x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bodyfat_bmi_jumbo_v2.png
391KB, 840x1024px
>>1042094
Yes, Vidalia could not be uninstalled either - this was during the laughable "privacy browser" memetic era. I just deleted/overwrote all of my windows partitions with gparted and reinstalled.. Since this point whenever anyone brings up tor causes my sides go into orbit - shiggy diggy botnet phamalam. If your reading this I suggest you do the same OP. Also get V& and B&'d m8
>>
File: 1469928336995.jpg (30KB, 360x408px) Image search: [Google]
1469928336995.jpg
30KB, 360x408px
>>1042789
>>1042882
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...
>>
>>1041469
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FREE SMILIES!!!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.