[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stone wall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0047.png (531KB, 719x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0047.png
531KB, 719x1280px
Who else here is interested and knows a great deal about stonemasonry. In particular outdoor feature stone walls?
I have questions.
>>
>>1041355
Google has answers.
>>
I'm interested also, where can we go on internets (any good video tutorials) for that?
>>
It's just 3d Tetris with rocks.
>>
>>1041355
for a wall like that you just stack rocks and point them with mortar. no masonry involved.
>>
>>1041355
Get large selection of rocks, preferable large. Get rock hammer and/or jack hammer, break too large pieces into smaller pieces, mortar them back together on site. For longevity sake try to have them VERY CLOSELY SPACED, less mortar needed the longer it'll last. Larger stones will last longer than smaller stones. But as far as style, fashion, etc look to your neighbors and television. Not just right now but a decade ago and then another and another. See what is considered good for at least 30 years, and copy that.

Leave room for adding garden space on top or lighting space, fireplace, etc. Being able to do minor, reversible changes to your walls will go a long way to keeping you busy, keeping your land value high, and maintenance costs. Also source local stone for cost savings. several tons of stone are not easy to transport even with current low gas prices.
>>
File: o.jpg (170KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
170KB, 960x640px
>>1041876
These are a hundred years old and they've held up just fine

OP all you need is to be suffering famine and you will gain super ability to build wall like irishman
>>
>>1043073
That wire doesn't look a hundred years old.
>>
>>1041426
Seems less like 3D tetris and more like 2D tetris with a front and back.

I remember an anon making a thread about the stone wall partitioning his and a neighbors properties-- it looked great on his neighbor's side and dogshit on his side, because the beaners who built the wall treated it like 3D tetris, putting all the jagged and pointy spots on his side.

I imagine you just need to be careful that all of the rocks have the same width and rotate them on that axis.
>>
Drystone dykes?
Lay foundations horizontally (so length runs from front to back not end to end, takes lots of big chunks) then build up half a meter, use little stones to fill gaps/middle. Another layer like the foundations, another layer of normal wall. Cap off optionally with another layer like foundations and and some decorations. Should be 1.3m high min for holding sheep.
Welcome to Scotland where drystone walls are king.
>>
File: anatomy_top[1].png (70KB, 588x295px) Image search: [Google]
anatomy_top[1].png
70KB, 588x295px
>>1043186
To avoid one side looking like shit you lay them in two rows and infill the middle with smaller stones. That way you can make each face smooth have the point bits in the interior.
>>
>>1043184
What wire
>>
File: mse-detail[1].jpg (203KB, 800x618px) Image search: [Google]
mse-detail[1].jpg
203KB, 800x618px
if you built a wall that has earth on one side. You need to have drainage. So heavy water logged earth doesn't push the wall over.

You should also look into Mechanically Stabalized Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olpSN6_TCc
>>
>>1043767
You can also build a dry stone wall, you just have to slope it adequately.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.