[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aluminium Air primary cell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160819_211729_flip.jpg (770KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160819_211729_flip.jpg
770KB, 750x1000px
Hey, I made a mouthbreather level Aluminium-Air cell. It uses a NaCl (salt) saturated solution as electrolyte (kept in with absobant paper), aluminium foil as anode, and a HB graphite thingie as cathode. and i put the whole thing in a straw.
It gets 0.5-0.8 Volts and 0.2-0.5 mA.
Any idea on how to improve the design? I'm already planning on using wc unclogger (with sodium hydroxyde in it) to make it output more. I also have pig jello and agar agar jello to use instead of salty wet paper, but i don't really know how to put that in my straws...
>>
File: design.jpg (13KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
design.jpg
13KB, 500x500px
And a schema of the thing.
>>
>>1041108

Use nano technology. That's always how to improve anything ever.
>>
>>1041995
I don't have nanotechnologies.

I tried the unclogger:
The cells got all bubbly and hot, and they started to short really quickly (something happened to the aluminium). Power was good tho, got like 1.2V and 15 mA out of each cells.
Turns out the unclogger is probably 600 times too concentrated, i'm going to need to dilute that shit.
>>
File: IMG_20160823_212351.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160823_212351.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
It works well with diluted unclogger.
>>
>>1042942
are you following some sort of tutorial for this or just experimenting on your own? Either way this is really interesting stuff. Personally I'd make button-style cells out of something like a small petri dish (maybe a jar lid?) so you can stack them and get some better voltage. Experimenting with other metals could be cool too, if you could get iron to work you could drive your electric motorcycle through abandoned towns, refilling on roofing iron.
>>
>>1041108
More surface area.

Use an aluminum window screen. A few wraps of that will vastly increase surface area. For the graphite, you can use 60 grit sandpaper on it to rough up its surface to create more surface area. If you could crush it to a fine talc-like powder then dope it on the surface of a nylon window screen you'd have a great way to increase the surface area. Just make sure it is thick enough that it doesn't have gaps in the graphite dust.

You can also try using a basic solution instead of acidic solution. The aluminum may hold up better.

>>1042623
>The cells got all bubbly and hot, and they started to short really quickly (something happened to the aluminium).

LOL yeah you can make bombs with aluminum foil and a bottle of drain cleaner. It can be pretty dangerous under pressure. Glad nothing hit you in the face as your straws would be canons.
>>
>>1044059
Aluminium does NOT hold up better in basic conditions. Ever put aluminium in a dish washer? It's not the metal that it reacts with, but the oxide coating, stripping it off. The outer layer oxidises and is stripped off again and again, eroding the metal. An acid electrolyte will somewhat be passivated by the oxide layer, but I assume the layer is being stripped off by the electrochemical reaction anyway. Best stick with a neutral solution. Also the reaction produces AlOH anyway, so having OH in the solution isn't a great way of promoting the forward reaction.
>>
>>1044070
>Aluminium does NOT hold up better in basic conditions

That's a shame since it lasted longer in my old batteries.
>>
>>1044083
Learn 2 chemistry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FllkuxXM6cE
>>
>>1042942
that's cool as OP, just doing something because you can.

like it's not the most efficient or practical but pretty cool you got it to work
>>
>>1041108
If i'm not wrong the problem with metal-air batteries was the geberation of "spikes" or fibers that tend to grow on the metal, making it useless after a couple of recharges.
Great project OP i would try some stuff like that if i had some spare time
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.