[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to buy a farmhouse and it needs to be renovated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (847KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
847KB, 2048x1536px
It was built in 1950 and it's a two story. I'm looking to gut the entire inside plumbing, electrical, everything, but trying to save any antique fixtures if possible like original hardwood floors and doors. It's three bed two bath and one of the bathrooms has a bit of surface mold. What am I looking at if I try to demo it myself.
>>
>>1041015
>what am I looking at if I try to demo it myself
A lot of unnecessary collateral damage.
>>
Study before fucking shit up, and don't go apeshit destroying everything at once. I mean exhaustively study and assume nothing.

Ya gotta learn demo somewhere. Go slow and don't go nuts with sledgehammers. Know what's behind walls etc.

Have a plan to reduce repeated handling of debris since that's work. Tarps protect floors if you've any which need protecting.

If far out in country you can burn wooden debris and bury solids if you've plenty of acreage. Otherwise, know where yer county landfill is and its operating hours.
>>
Get the plaster/ sheetrock compound tested for asbestos before buying, often added in this era:(
>>
>>1041015
>What am I looking at if I try to demo it myself.
Work
>>
>>1041015

hmm, it sounds like all hours really wanting to do is remove the interior wall for a doer upper. depending on the age, its either plaster board (GiB board), plaster render, or timber panelling. it could of course be asbestos but I'm assuming you will test for it and it really falls under plaster board.

you will want a hammer, nail puller and chisel to work with at minimum. I'd you go 'carefully' you should be able to rip off the walls without damaging anything else. this will preserve any antique fixtures you want to keep and allow you check for structural damage/infestations/etc. the rest is just installing modern fixtures.

expect a lot of man hours as opposed to bringing in a wrecking ball after removing the stuff you want to keep though. this is of course assuming you've checked out the foundations and they are solid.
>>
File: IMAG0012.jpg (2MB, 3264x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0012.jpg
2MB, 3264x1952px
>>1041015
This is exactly what I did OP. I bought an old farmhouse on foreclosure on the cheap. Originally I was just going to bulldoze the whole thing, but the native timber studs were in good shape.
I wasn't saving my floor so I just dropped all the plaster lathe and slats from the walls and ceilings. Everything was full of blown in insulation, all this shit went in a pit and I burnt it.
The additions that were added over the years were ripped off with a bobcat, and most was burnt as well.
All the old doors with transoms, all trim, and some of the wood flooring I sorted and saved. All wiring and plumbing were gutted, as well as the beech floor joists.
Really OP it's mostly labor. Be smart like others suggested, and get as much help as possible. Good luck.
>the fat guy sitting on the trailer was my scrapper, not a bad idea to have a guy help you out for the scrap metal around the place
>>
File: 20150424_163335.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150424_163335.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>1041407
Five years later
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.