[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get a consensus on box liners. As a /diy/ enthusiast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

I want to get a consensus on box liners. As a /diy/ enthusiast my first thought was to either plan a 1/2" plywood build or some kind of shipping container.

Antone have experience with this? The nearest place I can get a spray in liner is 200 km away and they want to charge me like 2000. The only bonus is they're willing to do my bumpers, wheel wells, undercarriage etc at cost because I know the guy. I feel like I could just let shit rust and trade it in a few years and only spend a couple hundred on wood.

Also the truck is used as a daily driver and occasional scrap metal haul
>>
>>1040975
You can buy truck bed spray liner to use yourself from online sites. Prepwork sucks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOXxgDa810
>>
Never seen a truck with squared wheel wells before. Rino liner is about 400 here and xliner about 250. 2000 is a good price for all you said he's doing.

This is on thing I recommend you let the pros do.
>>
>>1040975
Don't do wood. It will absorb rainwater and hold it for long periods of time, which will make your rust problem worse.
>>
Bedliners are retarded. They are purely cosmetic. If it's a work truck for scrap hauling then just haul scrap and don't sweat it. Metal is easier to slide loads off than bedliner.

If you are going to trade the truck, have it sand blasted (monument companies do this all the time since they all own blasters for cutting letters in stone) and DIY a FRESH liner before trading. That looks much better.

Old liner will look old. Fresh liner will look pretty and make the truck easier for the dealer to sell when you trade it in.

Wood and insert liners are water traps. I won't run them.

You can also slather inside the bed with ordinary oil based paint when the paint wears through. I've rolled it on. It's getting sandblasted off anyway. I used to make truckbed trailers and such paint held up well.
>>
File: 20151031_160435.jpg (924KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
20151031_160435.jpg
924KB, 1161x2064px
>>1041087
Thus guy is right. They are cosmetic. I would suggest a heavy bed mat. A good thick one that doesn't blow around. Whenever you need to slide something out just roll it up, most of the you want whatever cargo to not move around and the rubber mat helps.
I bought my truck new in 06, I use the bed, and have always had the same mat. It's a light duty truck so I'm not dropping bricks in it with a loader, but it's seen some use.
>>
>>1040975
There is no consensus because each type serves a purpose. If you're using it to haul scrap, you will be checking heavy, hard metals in the bed, so it needs better protection than spray in. Get an actual plastic/rubber liner, or even marine-grade carpet.
>>
No bedliner means your bed will get scratched to fuck hauling ANYTHING.

A plastic drop-in liner for $150 will provide decent protection against scratches, but after about 5 years of use, it'll be worn out, faded, and likely need replacement.

A spray in liner is super durable, you'll dent the fuck out of the metal before hurting the spray-in material. They use spray-in liner on bullet proof plates to capture bullet shrapnel, you're not going to hurt it through average consumer use.

Carpeted bed liners are similar to durable office carpet, but really only suitable for beds with tonneau covers, and avoid rain and snow.

Bedmats made of thick rubber like >>1041105 suggested will be durable against scratches for the bottom of the bed only, but if you drop something heavy enough, it'll dent the bed.

Some rock-crawler and off-road guys spray the interior AND exterior of their trucks with the spray-in rino-liner material because its tough as fuck and prevents rust. You can get it in more colors than black also. My parents sprayed a walkway for horses to walk on and it still looks brand-new after 10 years. It costs a bit more than other liners, but its by far the most durable, will last longer than the truck, and still look alright.
>>
>>1041263
Bare bed: fuck it its a truck idgaf if it gets scratched or dented

Plastic bed liner: I haul stuff, but I may want to sell it in 5 years and show I've taken some care of the truck.

Carpet bed liner: I put groceries back here!

Spray in liner: I have money, I want the best protection for the bed with decent looks.

I've sold, owned, and used all of these bedliners.
>>
>>1041267
>fuck it its a truck idgaf if it gets scratched or dented

it's because cock suckers like you that i refuse to help anyone do jack shit that involves my truck. you go pay $50k+ for a truck and let's see how you feel when i fuck it up then laugh in your face and say "it's just a truck bro"
>>
>>1041280
Yeah, its why I don't own a truck anymore. If you own a truck, you're automatically the guy who helps move people or picks up cargo guaranteed to cause damage.

had a buddy with a tacoma, lent it out to jerkoffs to transport about 1000lbs of bricks with the warning not to over load the bed with weight. So they put the bricks in the cabin and scratched the plastic beyond repair or reasonable appearance.
>>
>>1041281
I just tell most people to get fucked which of course makes me an asshole. Kinda funny the people that always ask for help are the same ones that would never help me in return then when I start saying no I'm just a fucking prick.

If I didn't need a truck I'd just get a SUV or some shit then no one would ask for anything but sadly I need the damn thing
>>
>>1041280
>spending 50k to haul shit
>not buying an already beat to shit truck for 2500

Then, it's actually just a truck. You don't have to give a shit about it. Let the soccer dads eat the cost of the new shit.
>>
>>1041294
If you run a business, spending $50k on a truck is worth it.

Regarding bedliners, avoid the plastic ones. I had a plastic liner. Its gone brittle and cracked in many places due to heavy sun exposure.

In Europe, most vans have plywood lining installed. It lasts the life of the van.
But for trucks, it would trap moisture between the wood and the bed and lead to rust.
if you care enough about moisture, you could build a plywood tray that is completely sealed.

If you have an air compressor and a shutz gun you can install bed liner paint yourself.
Raptor Liner from UPOL is a good one and 4 1L bottles are about €100 and thats more than enough for a 12' bed.

There's plenty of other brands. Some hardware store brands are much cheaper.
>>
>>1041294
I need my shit to actually be reliable plus the tax write off saves me like half the price anyway. Either way people that think just because it's a truck you need to beat the shit out of it are fucking retarded. Yes it will probably get beat up but there's a big difference between me doing it and some stupid fuck that doesn't give a shit and won't have to fix it
>>
>>1041087
This man, I never understood it. Owned 5 trucks and the only one lined came from the dealership with it.
>>
>>1041331
I just use a mat. The liners are nice to prevent rust when you scrape shit up enough but for what I have in the bed it's usually not a huge concern. Fucked up part tho is that my mat cost nearly what a plastic liner would have anyway
>>
When I had a ute, just used some lengths of old conveyor belt rubber.
It sure wasn't pretty but it was fucking tough.
>>
go to a Upull yard and grab a plastic bed liner
They are like $20
>>
My bed I have a couple pieces I made out of ply.

The project was 2 4x8 sheets of sturdy ply.

The bottom of the bed fits around the wheel wells and fits snugly to the sides. It folds down the middle so when I pull on the center with a hook it folds up right down the center and pulls towards me to get lifted right out.

The scrap from that was cut to fit over the wheels and clips into the bottom.

I've since added side walls that snap into the bottom and clip to the sides that go in after the bottom, but before the well covers.

I can throw them all in the bed in less than a couple minutes and they come out even quicker.
>>
>>1041309
Seconding the raptor skin liner kit.
>>
Wood is a waste of time. Unless you wana waterproof the shit out if it. But will still hold water.
You could buy a few sheets of checkered plating and have it cut and welded proprely . Shut would look cool.

But wud probably cost ya near the 2 grand.

Your other options wud be thick rubber mat for the back.

Or you could buy a tin of floor paint. Ya know for doing garage /work shop concrete floors.
Stuff is great even on wood. Gives this nice plastic coat on stuff.
But I'd apply like 3 to 4 coats.
>>
>>1041267
>Carpet bed liner: I put groceries back here!
Wait, why NOT just put some old shitty carpet back there? On literal actual warships, we use "shot mats" which are basically just braided carpets whenever we wanna put stuff on the deck that doesn't belong on bare scratchy/grippy metal.
>>
>>1043812
There are form-fitted carpet bedliners made of a rubber backing with that speaker-box grey carpet material. Its supposed to be kinda durable against oil and water, and light to medium loads.

I said >I put groceries back here!
because most people get the carpet bedliner, then cover it with a tonneau or camper shell, and the truck rarely hauls anything more than groceries or a flatscreen TV.

Actual carpet remnants even durable industrial carpet will slide around a bit, wont hold up against oil and water, won't protect the actual truck very much, and if OP hauls something heavy or pointy, it'll damage the truck bed anyway.
>>
How bout roll on bedliner?

monstaliner.com
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.