[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sharpening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 9000 hours in Paint.jpg (55KB, 1274x813px) Image search: [Google]
9000 hours in Paint.jpg
55KB, 1274x813px
How do you sharpen your chisels/planes? Which do you prefer?

Micro bevel seems to be mainstream aproach, while convex bevel is promoted by more traditional type woodworkers like Paul Sellers.
>>
>>1040904
It is not a choice but a product of the preferred way of sharpening, if you sharpen by hand using stones or whatever, which is the method of producing the sharpest edge the quickest, the natural motions of the hand produces a naturally convex bevel as a by product, not really by choice.
>>
Convex bevel all the way.
Not only is it faster and easier to sharpen that way, but I also found it makes it easier to gouge out huge chunks of wood with it when you need to.
>>
Concave bevel
>>
Thats a secondary bevel in the picture.
A micro bevel is too small to be seen by the eye.
>>
>>1040904
How does the convex even work when the bevel side is pointed towards the work piece (like on a number four smoother) i could understand maybe low angles... But for most.. Just no.

I use just the chisel grind. Because I just use sand paper, a flat piece of granite and a little jig that rolls on wheels. Normally I do 28 degree angle too.
>>
I use MDF wheel on a bench grinder with some buffing compound.

Takes 2 mins, works a treat, better than I've ever been able to do with stones, as I'm shit at things.
>>
>>1040904
Flat or convex.

I find flat to be more controllable when using a hammer (mortise, dovetail, box joint, etc), and convex to be better when doing shapes by hand. If you can't have two sets of chisels, sharpen it for whichever task you use most often.

Compound bevel is for metal/masonry, has no place in woodwork imo. I need that fine edge.
>>
I put a convex on my knives with my Ken Onion Worksharp belt sander (great tool) then refine with my leather paddle strops loaded with 10, 5, and 1 micron diamond lapidary compounds. In practice I only have to belt sand once, then my strops maintain and keep the knife in a perpetual state of razor sharpness. Then the belt comes out again if I get a new knife, or when my roommate uses my Shuns on porcelain plates. I can't train him to stop doing this.
>>
I'm a fan of the Paul Sellers method which usually ends up creating convex bevel. I don't believe it really matters all that much though.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.