[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What aluminum alloy for head gasket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Want to make pic related. 0.02" head gasket. Appears aluminum. Would be produced as die stamp. What alloy should I use? Needs to be ductile both for stamping plus installation, where it needs to "squish" to seal head to piston. 2 stroke application.
>>
Standard 6061. Might need to heat treat it to prevent warping.
>>
More concerned with softness for stamping than warping. These get squished between two castings; it'll stay flat in design position.
>>
>>1040534
The fuck kind of 2 stroke engine uses alum gaskets? Especially since the blocks themselves are made of aluminum, that sounds like a bad idea.

I've seen perforated brass with fibrous rubber molded in, also seen ones that are integrated with a heat shield, never seen aluminum.
>>
do you know anything about die making? how many parts do you want to produce? 100s? 1000s?
>>
>>1040698
Sounds like a bait/bored 12 year old thread.

Brass was used for hotrods bitd if you need a rare part. Can cut by hand.
>>
>>1040692
The '80-'92 Suzuki FA50 used an aluminum head gasket. A lot of older nopeds/mopeds used them along with a steel cylinder..

Learn the difference between a cylinder and a block. They are two different things and you sound like a tard for fucking it up.
>>
>>1040534
If mass producing I'd order a bunch laser cut then make a simple press die for the crimp ring. Cutting with a die wears out dies, and lasers are pleasantly precise.

You would only need to machine a crimping die.

If was mine I'd use copper but cheapness appears to be goal. Copper head gaskets are wonderful and reusable if annealed by torch. Been there, done that on Harleys and old Britbikes.
>>
>>1040743
OEM gasket is aluminum. Looking to match material. Probably best to just haul with to metal shop and match on bending strength.

I've a 10 ton clicker press and die maker I use for patterns. Quantity in 100s. Really not concerned with manufacturing process. That I can sort out.

>>1040720
This guy gets it.
>>
>>1040766
talk to a tool and die shop and tell them you want to have a short run production die made up and give them the sample piece, they will handle the rest.

no you cant do it on your own with help from 4chan, not to imply that its impossible to do on your own but if youre asking us for help you probably dont have the required skillset
>>
>>1041218
I think you to read a little more carefully. Clicker presses arent something in the average garage.

I do agree this has been a waste of time, but sometimes I'm surprised.
>>
>>1040720
The head gasket sits around both the cylinder and block asswipe. Unless you have some kind of retard air cooled engine with all steel cylinder with cast fins, something that might come out of the commie block.

Non retarded engines use steel liners only.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.