[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Implement Battery driven LED's and sensor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: serveimage(56).jpg (3MB, 3264x3264px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(56).jpg
3MB, 3264x3264px
Hi /diy/nosaurs, dumb fag here.
I want to place rgb LED's in the googles, have it react to my voice and have it all driven through batteries.
Google has not been my friend on this.
>>
I have time, money, tools and some soldering skills. I expect I have to tinker around with circuity to get this to work....
I just don't know where to start
>>
For the LED' I was thinking of perhaps using this "5050 16-bit rgb led ring". The shape and size is convenient but I worry that the light distribution will be wonky.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160818-140452.jpg (945KB, 1434x1434px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160818-140452.jpg
945KB, 1434x1434px
>>1040410
Opps forgot the pic
>>
>>1040404
>I just don't know where to start
First of all, the circuit that makes lights bounce to music (or sound) is called a color organ. It is an analog circuit, and it doesn't need to have a lot of parts.
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/video/ledcolororgan.html

Color organs come with different numbers of channels. Each set of lights you want is a separate "channel".
If you want three channels, then you can just build three single-channel color organs, and tune them to different frequencies.

For an analog color organ display, you use 'plain' LEDs. Not ws2812's, which have an embedded digital controller.

>>1040410
>For the LED' I was thinking of perhaps using this "5050 16-bit rgb led ring".
Info: a 5050 is a "plain" LED, just one color. Companies combined three red/green/blue 5050's on a digital controller chip, and that is called a ws2812. So a 5050 LED is not "the same as" a ws2812.

...ws2812's are what Adafruit calls "NeoPixels"....

If you want to use ws2812 LEDs, those require a microprocessor to control them. They run off 5v dc power but need a digital signal to turn them on and off.

The microprocessor board I would suggest for this is a Digispark (it's like an Arduino, but smaller). There is China clones for $1.50.

If you want a true spectrum analyzer, most "arduino"-level boards aren't powerful enough to do on-the-fly audio processing, so they use a MSGEQ7 equalizer chip to process the audio.

Adafruit has a page showing how to make a digital color organ on their Trinket board, using neopixels. This is not a true color organ in that it is not a spectrum analyzer; it only alternates ws2812 LED patterns according to sound intensity.
https://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-sound-reactive-led-color-organ/build-the-circuit
>>
>>1040402
Hi!
Unfortunately if you want it to react to your voice in a way that doesn't look bad you will need to use some kind of device to process the sound and it's going to require a lot of computation.
Fortunately, a cheap MCU called ESP8266 that costs 3$ shipped from china can do it.
Even more fortunately that LED ring uses WS2812 LEDs so you can use it without additional circuitry (as each of those 16 leds has a chip built in)
And unbelievably there already is software that performs all those heavy calculations, works on ESP8266 and can interface with those WS2812 LEDs. It's called ColorCord and it's written by a guy called CNLohr. (It works on other platforms and with other output devices as well)
Here it is in action with a LED string:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qWqYTpCN4
And here you can see a lengthy explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE3zEM8qM00
>>
File: leds_u324j3.jpg (50KB, 977x395px) Image search: [Google]
leds_u324j3.jpg
50KB, 977x395px
>>1040416
>Info: a 5050 is a "plain" LED, just one color. Companies combined three red/green/blue 5050's on a digital controller chip, and that is called a ws2812. So a 5050 LED is not "the same as" a ws2812.
Oops: made a mistake here.
A 5050 LED chip has 3 different plain LEDs in it.
The ws2812 also has 3 LEDs, but it also has a digital controller chip to control them.
Note that both use the same type of package. Don't buy some just because the picture looked like the right thing....
>>
I've been on /diy/ for a long time now and I've never seen such great comments in such a short notice!
>>1040416
Yeah I realised that I don't know how optimal it would be to have a set of leds static on the boards sense I have to adjust the leds around the lenses of the goggles for best effect. Is it possible to detach the leds and wire them to the board? That way I can place the led where I want them and at the same time find a good place to keep the board.
>>1040417
Oh looks promising!
Will definitely keep that around
>>
>>1040425
Wouldn't it be easier to find Leds are utilities rgb instead of plain? Would probably look better as well, unless I get light diffuser, but then you can't see through the goggles.
>>
File: ledsbuy_23432hfre98fu.jpg (393KB, 1257x1854px) Image search: [Google]
ledsbuy_23432hfre98fu.jpg
393KB, 1257x1854px
>>1040427
>Wouldn't it be easier to find Leds are utilities rgb instead of plain?
You might have to post a screenshot of what you mean. I don't understand.

Pic related: top picture,,,,, you can buy sheets of 100 ws2812 LEDs for only about 11 cents each now on aliexpress. The circuit board is already cut so that you can break the separate LEDs apart and use them separately. The PCB is only about 10mm across. If all you wanted was a ring around each eye, this would work okay.

...I could not find anyone on aliexpress selling unmounted 5050smd LEDs right off. If you search all you find is these strip lights of them.
For making a long string of lights that only lights up one color, 505's are better to use because they can be powered in series.

Bottom two pictures: you can also just get 'normal' 5mm or 3mm RGB LEDs and use those.
If the color organ circuit is made to run strings of plain RGB LEDs, then it will be designed to run either "common-cathode" or "common-anode" LEDs.
You have to get the right kind of LEDs for whatever color organ circuit you use, because the others won't work.
Both those LEDs are identical, except one is common-cathode and the other is common-anode.
>>
>>1040555
You posted pic of what I meant (sorry that I didn't explain it properly). Like If I only had plain led's the light would become choppy and not even distributed around the goggles lenses (if I decided to change colour), that's why I thought leds with rgb would be optimal.

Oh that's awesome that would be a lot easier when their separated and 10mm isn't a lot so that it all would fit well.
So the leds will go to the control chip/trinket board. Can one buy a spectrum analyzer and implement it it on that board. Haven't had the opportunity to check the tutorials yet.

Okay check so I don't buy the wrong leds for the color organ got it.
Whats the difference between Cathode and anode if they look identical?
>>
>>1040574
>Oh that's awesome that would be a lot easier when their separated and 10mm isn't a lot so that it all would fit well.
>So the leds will go to the control chip/trinket board. Can one buy a spectrum analyzer and implement it it on that board. Haven't had the opportunity to check the tutorials yet.
The Adafruit Trinket example doesn't do real spectrum analyzing; it just blinks some digital patterns according to the overall sound level it picks up.
The Adafruit Trinket and the Digispark both use the same processor chip, the Digispark is just smaller overall.

I've never used a MSGEQ7 equalizer chip but it is a common choice for building arduino-based color organs.
http://nuewire.com/info-archive/msgeq7-by-j-skoba/

>Okay check so I don't buy the wrong leds for the color organ got it.
>Whats the difference between Cathode and anode if they look identical?
A single LED has a [+] end and a [-] end, but those 5mm RGB LEDs only have 4 wires total (not 6 wires).
In the common-cathode LEDs, the [-] ends of all three LEDs are connected to the longest wire.
In the common-anode LEDs, the [-] end of all three LEDs are connected to the longest wire.

If you use a (analog) color organ circuit meant to drive RGB LEDs, it will say if it is meant for common-cathode LEDs or common-anode LEDs. Any given circuit will only work with one or the other kind of LED.

Adafruit sells a neopixel goggle kit for $40. It's not the cheapest option, but it ensures you have all the correct parts to get something that works.
>>
>>1040600
I've learned a ton and will soon purchase the different components needed for this. I have another question regarding power. Sense I was planing on more led's in the rest of my outfit. Was thinking of a big power bank or a laptop battery to power it all, but what is the best way for me to calculate the amount of power that needs to be adjusted so I don't fry it all?

Think I might buy the neopixel goggle kit for practice etc, but still want to create everything from scratch.
>>
>>1040402
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzNgLcxb5XU
>>
File: G4.jpg (70KB, 1024x676px) Image search: [Google]
G4.jpg
70KB, 1024x676px
>>1040410
Don't overcomplicate things on your first ever electronics project. Those are addressable LED strips you'll need to control with a microcontroller. You'll need a peak detector circuit to read audio into the microcontroller's ADC.

These are some LED goggles I threw together in a few minutes. I used a 4060 counter/oscillator so they just count up in binary. To get sound response use a chip like LM3914 or KA2284. These are designed for producing LED bar graphs from audio sources. Circuit is right in their respective datasheets.
>>
>>1040832
Well not the first project by far but I'm maybe on a slightly intermediate level of knowledge (I tend to forget things).
Anyway I rather want an advance project to tinker and learn from beginning to end, then taking baby steps.
Again I must say I've never had a thread with so much valuable information kudos to y'all
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.