[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Restoration General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: KIMG0035.jpg (833KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0035.jpg
833KB, 1440x2560px
I didn't see a thread on the subject and I just have a small question on the subject. So might well make a General

I got a set of these, they say they're cast aluminum and I want to get them cleaned and in a condition it's usable. I've read cream of tartar and hot water with plenty of scrubbing and that did clean it up a bit. Is there anything that would work better?
>>
File: KIMG0034.jpg (820KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0034.jpg
820KB, 1440x2560px
Here is a picture of the set. There is a base they go on when using, but that's the same material.
I'm also curious if I should do anything with the handles. They're solid and don't have any issues. Just wondering if there is something I could use to protect it a bit more that can handle a bit of heat
>>
>>1039989
>cast aluminium

I'm no expert but it clearly says iron
>>
>>1040001
They're trying to trick you. It's a cookie iron. The box it came in specifies cast aluminum. It's also way to light to be cast iron.
>>
>>1040006
Sorry. Waffle iron is a better term to use.
>>
Those look fine as is to me. It's iron (or aluminium or whatever), so it won't ever be shiny.
>>
Aluminum always looks like shit after a short while, that's why generally tools and such don't utilitize it.
Stanley for example made aluminum bench planes for a few years (in the 30s?) which look like turds in about 10 minutes of real use, same principle for cookery I assume.
Trying to keep aluminum nice-looking is a losing battle.
>>
>>1040017
My main concern is just getting it clean enough to be usable. It's been sitting in storage for years. There is build up still in the patterning I couldn't get clean with a scrubbing and water and cream of tartar bath.
>>
>>1040011
That's not true if you polish aluminum or iron enough it will shine like a mirror I have an antique .22 rifle that an old man polished out for me it looks just like chrome
>>
>>1039989
I would just scrub them with a plastic brush and any moderate powder-style home cleaning soap (in the US, that would be Comet).

>>1040058
>That's not true if you polish aluminum or iron enough it will shine like a mirror I have an antique .22 rifle that an old man polished out for me it looks just like chrome
Yea but you can't ever touch it....
Aluminum will polish to a mirror-finish, but the problem is that salt will easily corrode the surface of it. Just the salt in the sweat on your hands will ruin the finish over a short time.
For anything that gets handled (or gets salt put in it) much, polishing aluminum that well is rather a waste of time.
And a lot of waffle / muffin / cookie batter recipes have salt in them.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.