[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moldy AC help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20160816_192750584.jpg (448KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160816_192750584.jpg
448KB, 1000x563px
Is this thing even worth cleaning? I feel like its so far beyond that but I don't know what to do. I just moved into this shithole in southern Arizona and it's hot as fuck and I don't want to be without an AC unit. Should the landlord cover something like this? What do?
>>
File: IMG_20160816_192727338.jpg (942KB, 1000x1776px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160816_192727338.jpg
942KB, 1000x1776px
>>1039979
All the shit that fell on the floor when I opened it up.
>>
File: IMG_20160816_192742334.jpg (394KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160816_192742334.jpg
394KB, 1000x563px
>>1039980
I've also had a sore throat for pretty much the past week.
>>
File: IMG_20160816_193719267.jpg (346KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160816_193719267.jpg
346KB, 1000x563px
>>1039981
>>
File: IMG_20160816_193725020.jpg (363KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160816_193725020.jpg
363KB, 1000x563px
>>1039982
>>
>>1039979
it's the landlords? then yeah they should clean it.

i'd take it outside, brush it off, then shoot it with compressed air. maybe let it sit in the arizona sun for an hour or two before though.
>>
Thats a clear health hazard. Take pictures and ask landlord to replace it. If he doesnt then threaten to report him, he could get in a lot of trouble from the inspections department for this.
>>
Cleaning the A/C falls into sort of a grey area. Your landlord is going to say that it is your job since it is an appliance in your unit. Much like cleaning the oven is your job. However if you just moved in, they should have cleaned the unit prior to your arrival and charged the previous tenant for it.

If you want to do it yourself, get a respirator or a particulate mask at the very least. Blast the unit with a strong bleach solution and use a nylon brush to remove the bulk. Then hit is all again with some more bleach solution. Blast it out with compressed air.

Your best bet would be to do this all outside so you're not getting it in your living space.
>>
>>1039986
>>1040046
>>1040070
Yeah I just moved in, there's no way it could have built up this much since me being here. Thanks, I told him about it and hopefully he'll just get a whole new one.
>>
>>1039979
Don't touch it.

Don't do anything to it.

Call your landlord and have him fix it or replace it. That's a definitive health hazard in violation of almost every state's habitability laws for rented properties.

AC's and the like can generally be cleaned quite well since almost all of the material is solid and non-porous. Proper cleaning would involve scraping or brushing away the easily removable gunk, pressure washing, and steam cleaning with appropriate solutions. The final measure would be to replace things like foam strips or gaskets that can't be cleaned completely.

Considering the shape that the unit is in I'm going to assume that you're not renting from a landlord, but rather a slumlord.

My suggestion for your course of action is as follows:
* Save the photos that you've taken of the obvious health hazard.
* Call the landlord and notify them of your complaint and request for remediation.
>RECORD THE PHONE CALL and if possible say or get specific dates or timefrimes (i.e. if he says "a couple of days" reply with "So around the 19th?"
* document and record ALL communications with slumlords
> if they show up to speak to you, record the conversation in accordance with local laws (i.e. one-party consent or two-party consent)

* while waiting for remediation of the problem look into your state's and local jurisdiction minimum habitancy requirements and applicable remediation limits
Sauce: I'm a landlord with 50+ individual rental properties, 3 freestanding apartment buildings with ~20 units each, and my company professionally manages 2 full blown complexes and another ~25 privately owned single-family properties and duplexes and am a member of the city's housing board.
>>
>>1040806

For example in the jurisdiction governing the largest majority of the properties we manage the ESSENTIAL SERVICES required are Water, Hot Water, Sanitation Access (whether sewer or septic), and Heat. Of those four, two are generally considered extremely high priority and the landlord is generally in non-compliance within 48 hours for failure to provide water or heat, and substantial fines and levees are assessed by the housing board for these failures to provide essential services.

Additionally, tenants in our jurisdiction are allowed to withhold rent for numerous reasons beyond the essential services if written notice of intent is given to the landlord who fails to remediate within 14 days of that notice. And may be elligible for compensation from the offending landlord for reasonable efforts to alleviate hardship related to said notice.

My jurisdiction does not consider A/C to be an essential service, but I am aware of some cities or counties that do consider it so. I am also aware of a couple landlords in my area who were ordered by the courts to compensate tenants for window A/C unit purchases when they failed to fix units in a timely manner despite not being "essential"

Also, when I said
>Don't touch it.
Slumlords LOVE to blame the tenant for equipment failure when the tenant tries to remediate the problem themselves, and ultimately resorts to legal actions to force remediation.
>>
>>1039979
Pressure wash it. Leave to dry, Then use it.

Take it to a car wash if you don't have an accessible pressure washer.
>>
>>1039979
>Moldy AC help
That's not mold, dipshit. It's dust/air trash.
It's not dangerous but the AC will work better if it's cleaned off.
YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT - If you don't know the difference between mold and dust, it's beyond your capability.
Call the landlord and ask him to clean it for you.
A vacuum with a soft brush will get most of it.
Compressed air and a rinse will get the rest.
>>
>>1040195

Literally need a new one, you cannot wash it off because it has already taken roots in the machine and it cannot be eliminated, your landlord need to give you a new machine to adhere to regulations, otherwise sue his ass off, simple as that.
>>
>>1040893
What?

Air conditioners are nearly 100% Aluminum, copper, and plastic. All of which are non-porous and cannot provide a substrate for mold to live on. Simply blast off the mold and the underlying dust and grime and the unit is as good as new.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.