[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop Battery Upgrade.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: best 18650.jpg (85KB, 517x300px) Image search: [Google]
best 18650.jpg
85KB, 517x300px
I was sent here from this >>56120712 post.

I wish to crack open my laptop battery and replace the worn out cells with NCR18650Bs because I doubt I can find a replacement battery with them in it. What techniques are involved with splitting open the battery in a reusable way?
>>
Fixed post;

>>>/g/56120712
>>
>>1039804
If you take your time you should be able to pry the top and bottom open with a small screwdriver or a knife. Search google and you'll find some videos of people doing this.
>>
>>1039804
Do you have a dremmel?
>>
>>1039849
Yes
>>
>>1039804
Do some research first. Search on the make/model of laptop battery and see what it takes to work properly with the charge controller.

Many battery packs incorporate a small microcontroller to monitor and control cell charge state and temperature. Some of these will 'lock out' if a cell voltage drops to zero. Which could indicate a dead cell that could explode. It also drops to zero if you remove a cell from the pack. Resetting some of these is a non-trivial task. And if not reset, the pack is unusable.
>>
>>1040572
>Resetting some of these is a non-trivial task. And if not reset, the pack is unusable.
as in 'there's a physical fuse that blows and those fuses are not available to the general public'
I have to buy sketchy copies from Alibaba.
>>
>>1040846
What if you cut the traces going to the fuse before removing the cells?
>>
>>1039811
A lamented card to crack the glue and plastic guitar pick to pry and pop locks can be less damaging than metal tools, smart phone plastic pry bars can be handy as well but are less likely to be sitting around at home
>>
Hey

I have tried that excact thing.
It is not easy. Swapping the batteries and such, is not a problem. But the Charge controller in the battery will most likely not accept an increase in capacity. But that depends on the controller.

The battery I took apart was from an MSI laptop. The Charge controller was from Texas Instruments. They come with a lot of smart functions, like a joule counter, temperature sensor, current sensor and charge/discharge protection.
They brand them as Batterygauges, fuel-gauges or some funny shit.
Can't remember the IC name, but something with BQ in the beginning.

Programming these bastards is not trivial, as they have tiny legs to solder wires onto. They also brick easily while programming.

I wouldn't attempt this again, I rather by a new battery..
>>
>>1040846
>as in 'there's a physical fuse that blows

No. More like: The battery controller reset/initialization procedure is not obvious and may in fact be proprietary.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.