[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tool Storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: tool-chest.jpg (34KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
tool-chest.jpg
34KB, 370x370px
Let's talk tool storage /diy/
I'm considering getting this box. mostly the cabinet for now, and buying the additions later.
I realize that Harbor Freight is generally frowned upon in most any job that requires tools, but I've read good reviews of this cabinet.

I also like the Milwaukee 60" work station, Kobalt 41" cabinet and chest, and the simalar Milwaukee product.

I know like 90% of you are going to say I should buy Snap-on, but I just cannot abide making car payments on a fucking tool box.

so personally, what I'm looking for is a nice medium sized box with room for additions. I like the modular design of the HF box, but I also like the look and utility of the Kobalt and Milwaukee boxes.
>>
>>1039643
>I also like the Milwaukee 60" work station
>I know like 90% of you are going to say I should buy Snap-on

Oh boy, this thread is going to go real well.

Buy the Harbor Freight box, its pretty good for the price. Garage Journal and SlickDeals both love it, FWIW.
And realize you are getting fucked no matter who you buy the box from, the markups are insane.
>>
>>1039643
No one here will tell you to buy a snap on toolbox/chest. Shits literally the price of a car.

I have a Milwaukee 46" chest that has been great for the 2 years I've had it.
>>
>>1039649
I've pretty well lubed my anus for preparation to any box purchase. I appreciate the Harbor freight support though.
>>
>>1039643
>90% of you are going to say I should buy Snap-on
Buy Snap-On
>but I just cannot abide making car payments on a fucking tool box.
Then, pay for it cash.

Firstly, about 90% would tell you *NOT* to buy Snap-On (I hope), second, I dont see the point in comparing them and HF in same sentence? Its a toolbox, you know how much you want to spend - you happy with HF? - perfect, go for it. Maybe not have the quality of Snap-On, but, it sure as fuck represents better all-round value.

Its also, as noted, a tool box. Unless you work in an auto garage alongside another 15 mechanics who have fuck all else better to do than have a dickswinging contest over the badge on your box? - aint no-one give a fuck, HF is fine.
>>
>>1039650
I've lurked for quite a while, and whenever tools or related come up. there's a massive shitpost war over snap-on
>>
>>1039653
>Firstly, about 90% would tell you *NOT* to buy Snap-On (I hope)

well then I'm mistaken.
>>
>>1039654
SnapOn hand tools yes. I own ratchets and sockets by them.

But you will not find anyone here that says their toolboxes or chests are anything but retard tier.
>>
>>1039663
my Grandpappy had a snapon tool chest. Drawer rollers were sleek as fuck and it was top quality all around. Nothing about their toolboxes or chests that are retard tier. Only thing that's retard tier would be buying one brand new using your own money. Best to get one 2nd hand or use your shop allowance when you have cash to burn on nice shit at the end of the year.
>>
>>1039643
I have the top chest. I've used it for about a year now as a 'work out of' tool box in the back of my Chrysler Town and Country minivan.

The empty box weighs 98 pounds so there is plenty of steel in it.

The drawer guides roll smoothly and they lock securely when the lid is closed.

Since it's inside the van I added a strip of magnetic tape to the edge of the lid so it stays down when closed without having to use the lock.

It was perfect for me and I have no regrets on buying it. (I did wait for it to go on sale)
>>
>>1039663>>1039659
>>1039654
>>1039653
>>1039649
>>1039643

Or you could buy MatCo tools for the same nqa lifetime warranty the price...
>>
>>1039643
The harbor boxes are nice, but i would look at the husky boxes, they are cheaper and of the same quality. They also have better assortment of drawer sizes
>>
File: pullers.jpg (11KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
pullers.jpg
11KB, 278x181px
>>1039643
the main thing you want is ball bearing slides. looks like the HF box has got 'em, so it should be OK.

HF's site says 80lbs per drawer, which seems kinda low. the rails should be able to take it, maybe they're worried about tip-over when some derp opens two drawers at once? for example pic related weighs over 200lbs and would just about fit in one drawer.
>>
What kind of tools? I don't like drawer stands at all, I make custom stands and shelves so they are all out where I can see them. But I'm a woodworker, and don't have 1 million sockets to organize. So more information about your needs wood be helpful.
>>
>>1039708
Sadly, I am a mechanic. I have a modest amount of tools, but my current tool cart is almost at it's limit without getting creative.
>>
Hey OP

Costco in Canada here ways has fucking GORGEOUS toolboxes. Sometimes all stainless too. Excellent drawers. Fit and finish is second to none and the price is incredible.

Check it out.
>>
>>1039785
They are expensive as hell
>>
>>1039643
Harbor freight 44 bottom owner, love it bought it over dewalt and milwaukee boxes
>>
I have a Snap-on 52" KRA roll cab that I got on Craigslist for only $1000.

That's what I would do before giving your money to Harbor Freight.

It's all about finding that broke tech who realized he just spent three month's rent on a toolbox and tries to peddle it on CL for $2000. Then you swoop down and make it known that you don't need the toolbox as much as he needs your pocket change and make a firm offer.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.