[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sealing a Homemade Solar Panel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: solar panel back.jpg (700KB, 2048x1153px) Image search: [Google]
solar panel back.jpg
700KB, 2048x1153px
I decided to make a solar panel on the cheap from manufacturer reject cells. Everything's attached to the glass, soldered together, and I'm getting almost 30W in suboptimal conditions. I've put in less than $20 so far. I live in the South so humidity is omnipresent and I might use this panel around salt spray so I'd love it to be as waterproof as possible.

My question is: what is a good way to seal in the cells and tabbing on the back to make the panel watertight and prevent fogging? I'd love to just pour in polyurethane or resin sealant but I need about a gallon to cover everything and both cost over $30 a gallon. That's double what I've already put in.

I have some spray polyurethane but I don't know if I could get a thick enough coat to prevent fogging under the cells. I also have some spray foam sealant for roofing/gutters but I don't know how it would react with the electronics.

Any suggestions for a cheap waterproof seal?
>>
what about a couple wraps of that clear window cling that they use for sealing windows in winter?

it' won't survive strong hits or anything... but it'd be waterproof and if damaged I think a 10$ box is enough for a dozen windows or so... so even doubled up you could rewrap it if needed...
>>
File: kat.jpg (45KB, 640x727px) Image search: [Google]
kat.jpg
45KB, 640x727px
heh i tried to do this cheap a year or so ago

i made individual cells into single panels with plexiglass & pva film using a vacuum pump & heat gun, they turned out alright but were too much work

i said fuck it and picked up a few 250W panels off craigslist for $100/ea
>>
>>1039175
>manufacturer reject cells
How to acquire? Do want.

Regarding your query, silicone. A bead inside the frame, more glass on the back.
>>
>>1039188
Never seen that stuff before but it snows once every other year here so that's probably why. I want it to be able to at least withstand laying on top of uneven terrain or a 12 inch drop. That does give me an idea though. I could glue some plastic bags/wrap/etc to the gaps in between cells so they're at least individually sealed.

>>1039198
eBay, search for damaged solar cells. They mostly just have cracks or small chips. Some are broken in half or missing decent chunks. I got mine and the tabbing from ML Solar, which I think is a manufacturer. There's a couple guides floating around online detailing how to wire one up.
>>
>>1039175
3M 5200 is the spooge of the gods and makes silicone look a job by comparison. At any hardware store. Make a glass sammich.
>>
Update: tested it during a clear sky just after solar noon today and got a peak of 48.25W.
>>
>>1039175
cheap epoxy?
>>
File: 4L_9Xac5bRd.jpg (60KB, 800x470px) Image search: [Google]
4L_9Xac5bRd.jpg
60KB, 800x470px
My father told me that there's a way to take apart those solar panels attached to street lights and power lines and use them for your own home, is this true?
>>
File: bla dog.jpg (30KB, 356x357px) Image search: [Google]
bla dog.jpg
30KB, 356x357px
>>1039508
I'm sure a crowbar, pair of boltcutters, and a fake license plate would get you 95% of the way there.

Solar panels work just like a battery so as long as you have enough of them and sunlight you can power anything you want.
>>
Update 2: Ended up sealing individuals cells to the glass with RTV silicone sealant then put two coats of spray polyurethane over the whole thing to fill any cracks and insulate the back of the cells. Still looking for a cheap sheet of plastic to use as a back. Going to check local sign shops to see if they'll give/sell me a misprinted sign or blank sheet of plastic for cheap.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.