[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Auto AC leak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (3KB, 116x129px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 116x129px
Trying to fix the AC in my sis's car. Put a gauge on the low side and see 0 psi. Hook up a can of 134a, put an ounce in and hear it hiss out somewhere to the rear. I'd like to hook my compressor to the lowside fill and push 50 psi in it to help locate the leak. How bad of idea would that be? There is probably air in the system already, but not the amount I'd be introducing.
>>
>>1038147
>I'd like to hook my compressor to the lowside fill and push 50 psi in it to help locate the leak
That's how you do it. Buy some refrigeration dye and a black light. Make sure you have a dryer on your air line. Compressed nitrogen is the way to go if you're serious about this stuff.

Make sure you clean the lines and look at everything before you start pushing the dye through or you might never find it.

Rent/buy/borrow a vacuum pump when you go to recharge it. If you live in an area with pawn shops, they frequently have gauge sets and vacuum pumps.

Amazon items:
dye: B002AII980
light and glasses: B003JOB594

Source: I was an engineer at a company that built industrial refrigeration equipment.
>>
>>1038147
rear of the pump?
its most likely the O rings on the end of the rubber hoses.
>>
>>1038182
Rear of car. It's a Trailblazer and has AC lines out the ass. There is a set going way back along the passenger side frame. Probably to a rear evap. Looks like there might be another set going mid way back. It's stupid complex.

>>1038181
I was thinking about converting a little piston compressor to a vacuum pump but it'd never get close enough to a vacuum imo. I'll probably fix the leak, test the system, then take it to a shop to have it evac'd and charged. Can't see them charging much for that.
>>
>>1038189
I like excuses to buy tools. As it stands, I already have 2 vacuum pumps.

You can buy one of these pieces of shit, assuming you have an air compressor: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

Or $50 on amazon: B012CFTYX4
>>
>>1038192
It doesn't even come with a gauge? Oh you, harbor freight. $20 for a pump, probably $30 - $40 for refrigerant. If a service place wants more than $60 to charge it then I might go that way. I'm also kind of worried about pump oil and whatever else I might need.
>>
>>1038194
unless you buy it straight R134A from a supplier, it will have oil in it.
>>
>>1038196
So if I pull a vacuum and then refill the system with off the shelf walmart brand 5 buck a can crap cool it'd be fine?
>>
>>1038197
Pretty much, just read the can to double check that it has oil in it.
>>
File: IMG_20160814_191815050.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160814_191815050.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Update, found the A/C leak. It is a huge hole in the high side line going to the rear evap by the passenger side front wheel well.

I'm thinking about replacing part of the aluminum tubing with copper as I'm not sure where to get 3/8th aluminum tubing locally. Can anyone think up a reason that would be a bad idea?
>>
>>1038636

get the GM part number and plug it into ebay, you may be able to get it way cheap used

3/8" OD tubing is at any home depot/lowes/local joint, it'll work but you'll have to figure out the connections

you could try that aluminum brazing rod ( i think it just needs propane ). you clean the area with a stainless steel brush, heat up the area, and seal the hole. this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-AL3-Aluminum-Brazing-and-Welding-Rods-334491/203710179
>>
>>1038649
There is no patching it. Not enough clearance to weld. No replacing it as a whole either. The tube is a solid piece that snakes from the engine compartment though the framing, over the diff to up inside the cab. It was put on before the body and frame were mated (thanks GM). A quick google search shows there are after market rubber flex lines to replace it. naw.jpg. I'll stick to rigid pipe.

Do you really think a big box has 3/8th Al tubing? What department is that is?
>>
>>1038636
can you cut out the bad part and get a small replacement 3/8 line and use press fittings to make it whole?
>>
Obligatory JB Weld reminder
>>
>>1038670
That's the idea. Going to use compression fittings and some copper tube unless someone can tell me why it wouldn't work.

>>1038674
I'm sold. Maybe wrap some duct tape around it for good measure.
>>
>>1038675
r134 will find a leak if you let it. that car has years of life left meaning you should fix it right so you only fix it once. talk to your local parker hoses supplier.
>>
>>1038678
I was joking about the duct tape....
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.