[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cutting board repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1612.jpg (860KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1612.jpg
860KB, 2048x1536px
So I made a cutting board as a gift last xmas, but the jackass let a watermelon rot on their counter next to it. It soaked up a ton of water and warped a bunch. The bow in the middle has 3/8" of deflection...

>pic related is the board when I gave it at xmas
>>
>>1037666
In case you were wondering, the dark spots at the near side in the picture are from my boards getting sniped in the planer. Lesson learned, in the future I will make sure the board length has a an inch or two extra at the end...

Anyways, I first began trying to get rid of the warping. I first tried ironing it w/ a wet rag; no dice. Next, I tried leaving it in the sun for a couple HOT days wrapped in a wet towel. This had some improvement, but it was still warped by over .25". Finally, I said fuck it, and popped it in the oven above a foil tray with water, and steamed it. This got the warp down to just over .125", but, as expected it cracked the board in several spots.

>no pic, I didnt bother taking any at this time.
>>
File: IMG_2792.jpg (323KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2792.jpg
323KB, 2448x2448px
I proceeded to planing it, but because of all the warping I fixed earlier, I ended up only having to take about 3/16" total, between the two sides.

Next I went ahead and filled in the cracks and new exposed grain with homemade filler. I used mahogany because I have a ton of dust from another project. It was sanded down with 60 grit for now.

I went ahead and added new chamfers on the router, .25" on the top, and .125" on bottom. I had some chip out during this process, so I went ahead and added new filler.
>pics related.
>>
File: IMG_2801.jpg (441KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2801.jpg
441KB, 3264x2448px
>>1037669

I sanded it back down with 60, 250, then 400, and finally a wet sanding at 1500. I then soaked in my mineral oil for the finish. It has so far taken in almost 20 fl oz, and I think I will be able to soak in at least half of another bottle.
>>
File: IMG_2799.jpg (502KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2799.jpg
502KB, 3264x2448px
>>1037670
The chamfers came out decent, if you look a couple inches up on the right one, you can see where I had to fill in where the chamfer ripped it a bit. Oh well.
>>
File: IMG_2806.jpg (357KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2806.jpg
357KB, 2448x3264px
>>1037671
The edges came out pretty nice too. The wet sanding really makes the grain on the maple and walnut beautiful.
>>
That is a very nice board op. You can make me one for my birthday if you like, it's in December so you have a lot of notice at least.
>>
>let a watermelon rot on their counter
wut
>>
>>1037666
>let a watermelon rot
That's just nasty, good job on fixing it
>>
>>1037729
>>1037726
kek that's what I said. Apparently they bought a watermelon, and never got around to cutting it and it just rotted on their counter. like wtf who is that lazy?

>>1037723
srry bby I'm making this person a matching cheese plate this year.
>>
>>1037870
So they can let cheese rot on it ?
>>
>>1038554
Sure. Aged cheese is bae cheese
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.