[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Keys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: key_gold.jpg (99KB, 300x560px) Image search: [Google]
key_gold.jpg
99KB, 300x560px
Hello /diy/

I'm looking to duplicate some of my house keys by hand and I didn't see a thread.

I'm thinking of buying these: https://www.amazon.com/Key-blank-Schlage-SC1-5-Pin/dp/B000CDM5N0

Are these of the standard U.S. house key profile?

Also, if someone knows of a better deal or a good deal on some automotive keys as well, I'd appreciate it if you told me.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1037561
What the fuck is wrong with you?

This is a new level of terrorism.
>>
>>1037561
There are no "standard house key profiles" because of degenerates like you.
There is a ton of different types of the same shaped key.

Its done so retards like you can just buy a random key off amazon and then hand file it to work.
Also no, Schlage is not a particularly popular keyset
>>
>>1037568
>degenerate

lol
So you're saying all makes of keys are different?
Kwikset, Defiant, Brinks...
>>
>>1037569
Not only are they all different, Kwikset sells like 20 different keys that look identical.

A KW1 kwikset key is different than a KW11 key. They look the same but the keying down the length of the key is different. One wont fit into the others lock.
>>
>>1037571
I can cut the length down to size.

My gate key and house key are the same except the gate key is about .02 of an inch thicker.

Are the lengths normally the only difference or do they move the grooves around?
>>
>>1037561
People thinking that criminals copy keys, it's easyer to break the door. Even the wall.
Houses in America are a joke.

For duplicating keys, just 3d print it!! it's the cool thing now.
>>
>>1037576
I don't want to drop $2000 on a printer.
>>
>>1037576
The type of criminal that copies keys isnt a petty thief, but more towards the weird stalker type.
>>
>>1037578
We know, you dont even want to drop $1.50 on a new key
>>
>>1037580
I thought /diy/ was supposed to be about having fun.

I didn't know you guys were such fucking squares.
>>
>>1037576
There is no legitimate reason for what the OP is asking. In what situation would you need to copy a key but didn't have access to it long enough to take it to a fucking store and have a copy made for $2?
>>
File: OT.jpg (152KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
OT.jpg
152KB, 760x596px
>>1037586
It truly is a mystery...
>>1037585
>>
>>1037585
We already explained to you, if you know the type of key and the correct keyway for it, you could hand cut a key.

But seeing how you are obviously trying to do something unsavory, its gonna be a lot harder to do blindly without the key in your hand.
>>
>>1037586
>https://www.amazon.com/Key-blank-Schlage-SC1-5-Pin/dp/B000CDM5N0

He is trying to buy a box of 50
>>
>>1037588
>unsavory

I have the fucking keys I want to copy.

SO you're saying I need to visually compare each of the keys to the Amazon images to verify their compatibility?
>>
>>1037586
Who needs time with the key?
You just need a picture and some reference measurements.

In my case, i often use picks to remove old bike chains from street poles in my neiborhood.
Easyer than cutting. But takes more time.

If you want to steal, just break the door.
I never knew a criminal that use lockpicking or copy keys.

And it depens on the key. Some keys core a lot more.
I will definetly try to copy one, not just to save money, also for independence
>>
>>1037590
You need to get the correct keyway, which is the grooves down the side of the key.
>>
>>1037590
>compare each of the keys to the Amazon images to verify their compatibility?

No. You need to look on the key that you want to copy and get the blank number off of it.
Buy those blanks.
>>
File: 9337213_orig[1].jpg (61KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
9337213_orig[1].jpg
61KB, 400x800px
So, which one is it?
>>
>>1037593
Okay, thanks Anon.

>>1037596
They are all very close to the Kwikste.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.