[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wood stabilizing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2413.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2413.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I have what i believe is a root that i found a few years ago that id like to stabilize with resin.

Any advice on making a vacuum chamber for cheap?

And any advice on wood stabilizing in general would be nice too.
>>
File: IMG_2414.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2414.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
It also has these holes which i believe are from insects, I would imagine after stabilizing they would only make it sturdier but if anyone thinks otherwise let me know.
>>
>>1037250
Large pvc pipe? Says "no pressure" but i havent ever had a tater canon explode. Hillbillies all over here use pvc for shop air lines.

Vacumn pump

Profit?
>>
Maybe pull vaccumn on an old fridge? Im in about the same boat. Wanna make resin/wood gun stocks and furniture
>>
>>1037250
I've seen it done on burl, essentially an old pressure cooker modified with a hand powered vacuum bike pump (reverse the seals) and some pressure hose if you're using resin.
Aside from that, timber hardeners have some ok results on certain woods
>>
>>1037250
Hook one of these up to a jar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaho7JSVS1I
>>
>>1037250
Make a PVC pipe container, using Schedule 40 thickness, that it will fit into. Install a stem in it that tubing for a break bleeder tool can fit over. Fill the pipe with resin and use the break bleeder on it. Bring it to about 20-23inHg.

Follow the normal amount of time for that resin when being used in vacuum methods (google them.)

Once it is done, let air in and cut the top off to get the stick out so it can cure.

I use a break bleeder for pulling low pressure in canning jars for my dehydrated foods. You must use Schedule 40 thickness PVC or it will crack. The smaller the diameter you use the better. The shorter a piece of pipe you use the better.
>>
What's with you goons and PVC? If I am pulling vacuum it's going to be in an iron vessel, go get a piece of appropriately sized threaded black iron pipe, two caps, some tape and a barb fitting. I do like the brake bleeder as a cheap, easy source of vacuum though. Oh, I am assuming you have a damn drill and tap, to install the fitting... That's probably beyond most of you fucks.
>>
>>1037461
Because PVC is cheap as hell and doesn't require many tools to work with and does the job. You are not pulling 30inHg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HuZPo4Cv0I
>>
>>1037461
An iron pipe seems like a waste of money for what im doing compared to PVC, maybe if i needed a dedicated vacuum chamber and didn't live in apartments.
>>
>>1037482

how much is a 4" OD ~24" long black iron pipe anyway?
>>
>>1037461
risk of damage from catastrophic failure of pvc pipe as a vacuum chamber is fairly low.. now if you were pressurizing it.....
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.