[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning rust from musical instrument

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMAGE1.jpg (17KB, 400x201px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGE1.jpg
17KB, 400x201px
just wondering how i would go about cleaning any rust from my trombone, it was a gift from my sister, never really owned any instruments before
>>
The lacquer has probably gone to shit. Just slather on some silvo and polish it up.
>>
>>1037212
try wd-40 and some steel woll if you're not wrried about the surface finish. if you are worried about the surface finish, well you shouldn't have gotten a rusty instrument.
happy playing anon
>>
>>1037220
don't do this
>>
>>1037212
Really? Your sister gave one to you huh? Out of the blue, or...? She could have at least showed that she loves you and spit shined it first. How many positions on a tenor trombone, OP?
>>
>>1037222
>inb4 TRIPS DON'T LIE
why the hell not? it's already a rusty piece of shit (no offense OP) what harm will it do?
>>
Op, just about the only thing you can do is prevent that from getting worse.

Once a month or more often if played daily:
Submerge it in soapy water for an hour.
Clean the inside of the pipes.
Dry the exterior thoroughly.
Oil the slide.

Only use brass safe cleaners. I never used any soap.

After every use, wipe the exterior with a dry towel, cleaning off your skin oils (the cause of all that corrosion.)

Assuming it still slides easy, that should be more than enough to get you through grade school and into high school.
>>
>>1037247
Go ahead OP, steel wool the dickens out of it. While you're at it don't forget the bore! Get your bore snake out (it DID come with a bore snake, right...? Ask your sister for one, I'm sure a lady like her won't mind getting you one!) and wrap some steel wool around the end of that and just scrub SCRUB SCRUB out that bore! Post pics of the results... Again, how many positions OP? Google is your friend, especially when trolling.
>>
>>1037252
This guy is wrong. Steel wool anon is correct. And while you're at it, don't forget the bore! Get out your bore snake, wrap some steel wool around it, and scrub the dickens out of it! Scrub scrub SCRUB! Post pics of the results! Again, how many positions on a trombone, OP? At least learn to use Google when you're trolling...
>>
Brass doesn't rust. Brass is zinc and copper. You need to use brass polish. I repaired musical instruments for a living, you can polish the spots wear the lacquer has worn off but why bother. If you want you could use paint stripper and remove all the lacquer and then polish the raw brass. Use very fine steel wool on the inner slides if they're corroded. Clean insides with dawn dish soap and warm water.
>>
>>1037331
By the way, that's an olds trombone, probably an ambassador judging by the braces. It's a decent student trombone from the 60s-70s.
>>
Just google "rusty trombone". So sick of lazy assholes. If you can't be bothered finding it out for yourself, you don't deserve a rusty trombone from your sister at all. Actually better yet look up "rusty trombone from sister" to learn yourself about being grateful. You all should.
>>
>>1037340
Some of us caught it right away and called him out, even saged. Did you anon?
>>
>>1037375
some of us don't care and ignored the asinine OP but felt like posting information anyway
>>
>>1037511
In that case, it should be put it the tub as anon said, thoroughly bore snaked, then cleaned with brass cleaner then re-lacquered. However! Before you bother with that you should find out if the slide has been worked over/re-swaged already. That's kind of a one time deal, once it's been done the brass work hardens enough that doing it again runs the risk of cracking it. Chances are it has been, since it's obviously from the 70's, possibly the 60's, and that means that you basically have a nice chunk of scrap brass there, or if you're good enough a bugle that's an octave low.

There are 7 positions on a tenor trombone by the way, unless you count some of the short positions once you're above a high F due to the tempered scale being logarithmic. I'm sure OP's sister has been in at least six of them, possibly with OP.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.