[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lawn Care 101

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: lawn.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
lawn.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
So I just bought a house and the lawn blows.

What can I do to fix this nonsense? I have landscaping in my wheelhouse but I've never tried to grow grass before.

Any insight on how to grow grass in patches and make it match the existing lawn? I'm stumped, any help is more than welcome.

Thanks.
>>
File: lawn 4.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
lawn 4.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
more pics
>>
File: lawn 3.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
lawn 3.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
and some more, sorry about the rabbit pic
>>
put dung/pete mixture down
sprinkle grass seed
mix around a lot
add more grass seed
fuckloads of water on top
apply hay
watch it grow
gas the kikes.
>>
>>1037060

But how would you match the seed to what is already present?

I see Kentucky Bluegrass seed and super dark fuck-me-in-the-ass seed.

I really don't know what seed to buy
>>
replace it with pavement so you have more room for outside activities, plus you never have to mow

>couldfindthethread.jpg
>>
>>1037066

I laughed my ass off at the thread you are talking about but I am not a lazy fuck and I enjoy a nice lawn.

I plan on smashing up that shitty walkway to nowhere as well and growing grass there as well but I have to research how to level a lawn.
>>
>>1037069
it was a good one, kek

>how to level a lawn
the power company came through earlier this year to bury new lines; they tore up half the front yard with a backhoe and practically did nothing to fix it

it took them 3 weeks to even send someone to level it with a rake and spread some seed....months later it has barely grown back and mowing over parts of the yard is like going over lane marker bumps on the highway (left from the treads)
>>
>>1037052
OP.
If you want a true match, basically have 4 options.
1) Find out what type it is and buy the correct seed/sod.
2) Let it seed out then now it and scatter the seeds (can also cut and scatter by hand, pretty time consuming).
3) Grass is spreads by roots. You can literally dig up small pieces and transplant. Other grass will fill in your donor areas and it will accelerate the bare areas.
4) stay off the area- pull any weeds that grow there and let the grass eventually return.

Might be a 5 or 6 option but I can't think of any.
>>
>>1037065
If you have a local hardware store, go ask them (Ace, Tru Value, something like that). They generally have a good idea what's up with the local grass varieties. Well... grass for a lawn at least.
>>
Wait until the days do not get above 90 degrees. I overseed in the last week of August. Rent a core aerator, and use a dethatching rake to scratch up the soil in the worst areas, seed, then cover with peat moss. You need to water the lawn...a lot. Set the sprinklers to go every 4 hours. The seeds need to be kept moist. If they are in that critical point where they begin germinating, and then dry out, they will die and leave all your efforts for naught. Expect a water bill of $200 or so for September and taper off the watering when the new grass is clearly visible and growing more vigorously. Weed by hand around the young grass. I never found it necessary to use a starting fertilizer.

t. Greenest, thickest lawn on /diy/
>>
Im another anon who just bought a house, and the lawn is fucked up.

There are a TON of those prickly weeds in the grass. Like 20% of the yard with big patches of it.

Whats the best way to get rid of them?
>>
We have Bermuda but didn't feel like shelling out the hundreds to re sod the terrible areas plus the areas that we pulled up the weed barrier from. We tilled the dirt, put a fuck ton of mulch and seeded the shit out of it with st Augustine. The St Augustine started growing in so it didn't look like a mud pit and the Bermuda is slowly taking over. Maybe something along those line would work?
>>
It looks like you once had grass in those patches and it's died off. Since you just bought the house I would wager the seller did something that made that soil unfit to grow grass. Maybe they sprayed weed killer on the pavement the grass runs along, maybe they had dogs and they came running out trampling the area. The dogs would explain that curved patch in
>>1037054
If it was just dogs then you need to aerate the dirt, because it is compacted, and follow the other advice of planting. If is is weed killer run off the patch will grow with every rainfall for a while.
>>
>>1037143
meta-sulphuron methyl.
>>
>>1037183

They did indeed have a massive dog. I'm wondering how much of this nastiness is the result of dog piss ruining the grass and how I need to fix that.
>>
>>1037069
All the research u need. Use hoe, shovel, rock rake, put dirt in hole. Hakf ass level by hand. It will fix itself.
>>
>>1037055
Check your local municipality for yard waste composting.

Our city composts yard waste and sells it for $11 for a truckload. You load it in your own truck.

Our yard was way worse than that. The people who had the place had three dogs who had torn it all up. I got four truckloads of the compost and spread it evenly over the yard. Seeded with a sunny grass mix and some clover seeds.

Worked fucking fantastically. The grass loved the compost and took off like crazy and the clover did very well too.

Every year I broadcast a truckload of the composts over the yard in the early spring. The grass grows vigorously and needs to be mowed quite often. Then in summer when it gets drier and the grass starts to go dormant I stop mowing all together to let the clover take over and go to seed. And once the heat breaks and it starts raining again Ill mow untill winter dormancy.

I dont ever water my lawn or put down any feed other than the compost. The only weeds that can survive the clover mat seem to be thistle in my area. And those are easy enough to uproot.
>>
>>1037066
>all that absorbed heat
Great idea, now OP will have a huge ass solar grill

OP your lawn is fucked, losen up the soil, it looks packed, with a shovel make slashes on it, it also looks poor on nutrients, almost like sand, buy compost or just put a bunch of leafs over it after you losen up the soil so it gets absorbed, then water the whole thing at nigh t so the water doesntw evaporate
>>
File: lawn 5.jpg (3MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
lawn 5.jpg
3MB, 2656x1494px
So I got some more pics today

>>1037758

This is what the soil looks like close up
>>
File: lawn 9.jpg (3MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
lawn 9.jpg
3MB, 2656x1494px
There's also these weeds, all over, should I spray them or yank them out by the roots?

They're everywhere.
>>
File: lawn 6.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
lawn 6.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
This is the kind of indentations I was looking to fix.

It hard to see but it probably a 6" divot in the lawn. I'd like to level it.
>>
File: lawn 7.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
lawn 7.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
another angle, its really fucking hard to tell its there until you run a lawnmower over it.
>>
File: lawn 8.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
lawn 8.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
and this is where the lawn terminates
>>
May be worth the money tilling the whole yard to even out the divits, kill all the weeds, loosen the soil, and start fresh with compost, seeds, and straw.
>>
>>1037960
>Grass dried in the sun but is perfect in the shades.
I don't know what exact seed you have, but you may want one that resists the sun/dryness better anyway.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.