[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would i go about making one of these? It appears to be a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: 1.jpg (110KB, 880x881px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
110KB, 880x881px
How would i go about making one of these?
It appears to be a simple resin but thats as much as i know.
>>
>>1037011
2 different resins with a tiny bit of stirring. Then sanding and polishing.
>>
>>1037011
>crack a piece of wood
>put some tape around it to create a mold
>mix up some epoxy resin
>poke in some pigment
>pour into mold
>let it dry
>bore out desired ring size using drill press
>cut rough shape of ring using scroll saw or grind it down against an abrasive wheel
>finish by rubbing it against sand paper on a flat surface, increasing grits until desired finish is achieved

just guessing
>>
File: image_11446.jpg (127KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_11446.jpg
127KB, 1200x1200px
Any advice for a makeshift low pressure pressure tank?
>>
>>1037011
Where did you find that, it's cool as hell. It looks like they probably had to break off a piece of wood to get the interior shape, then maybe set it in epoxy or whatever with the cracked side down. Then just shaping until it's that shape and probably some kind of chemical or acid polish
>>
File: ring.png (396KB, 589x585px) Image search: [Google]
ring.png
396KB, 589x585px
>>1037213
Ive been doing research since i started the thread, its from a company called Secret Wood and so far my guess is they stabilize the broken wood in a vacuum with resin then cast it into a blank with more resin and then shape it.

The one step i believe theyre forgetting is to pressurize the blank while curing to get rid of the bubbles.

I just need to figure out how to do this for cheap.

While im sure i can get the method down the art of it is going to be hard to learn.

Their website.
https://www.mysecretwood.com/
>>
Those are beautiful, not nearly as expensive as I expected either. Some good advice in this thread already, keep us updated OP.
>>
>>1037188
Pressure cooker?
>>
>>1037215
An alternative way would be to vibrate the bubbles out of the resin, but I don't know how well that would work with all the cracks in the wood.
>>
>>1037215
just use a blow dryer to get the bubbles out

i kinda want to try this but im not sure what to colour it with
>>
>>1037215
Can't you just pour small trickles onto the cracks which coat them? Then carefully pour more on top of that and it should fuse with the resin on the surface with no bubbles.

Perhaps anyway, I don't know how viscous this stuff is. Might be tricky if it's high.
>>
>>1037319
The bubbles occur when you mix the resin.
>>
>>1037299
Heard the ATF banned those in the USA. but maybe they only banned the black ones.
>>
Does anyone knows what kind of resin is that?
>>
>>1037215
>I gave your mom my secret wood ;)
>>
>>1037356
jewelry resin
>>
File: presda kooker.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
presda kooker.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>>1037299
This

Get one of these Pressure cooker types with the lid/gasket on the inside. That way pressure forces the lid closed. Stainless Steel, as always, is much better.

Other alternative is the Knapsack/weedsprayer things. They can take 40psi. The only problem is they generally have a very small opening - not much bigger than a clenched fist.
>>
File: 51242-01-1000.jpg (79KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
51242-01-1000.jpg
79KB, 720x720px
Bamp for interest.

Someone make me a fucking stock for my guns right now. Amerifag checking in so it'll be pushing tripple digits ;)

http://www.rockler.com/knife-scale-block-burls-and-swirls-sky-blue?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=Cj0KEQjw57W9BRDM9_a-2vWJ68EBEiQAwPNFKw8BAFpl53OIgyuRhP22ETieXi6UOz9zAcc13QL2P3caAqh58P8HAQ
>>
File: 51242-13-1000.jpg (30KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
51242-13-1000.jpg
30KB, 720x720px
>>1037367
Uno mas bumpo.

Check aroung google and youtubes op. Knife handles and pistol grips use this technique. Please check in with progress. Im oretty interested in making high end simple furniture using this method. I have the skills and access to make a large pressure tank and use a full woodshop. Could make some beautiful shit...
>>
File: guitar14.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
guitar14.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
>>1037369
What about mixing this techniques?
>>
>>1037215

You don't pressurize to remove air bubbles, you pull a vacuum.

You can buy a vacuum pump or you can make you own from a fridge compressor.
>>
>>1037404
It sets too quickly to put it in a vacuum, if you put it in a vacuum you'll end up with foam.
>>
>>1037011
>>1037011
>>1037011
>>1037011

OP, this is not anything magical and can be done on the cheap. The technique is called worthless wood casting. Look on youtube there is tons of tutorials on it. Its tree cutting season so also now is the perfect time to walk your neighborhood and look for some wortless wood.
>>
>>1037050
Pretty close anon. But how they hell did they get the smoke/foggy effect in it. Pigment wouldn't do it.
>>
>>1037526
mix pigment with resin in small cup
drop into substrate resin and stir
>>
>>1037215

When the hot girl in your class sits in front of you

>https://www.mysecretwood.com/
>>
>>1037403
Sure. ?
>>
>>1037526
The specialty stores sell special pearlescant additives for resin use. But any painter's pearlescant should work too
>>
>>1037404
You can use either a pressure pot or vacuum for resin casting. A vacuum is technically better but you need a high speed pump. You don't need an exceptionally hard vacuum, you just need to get there very quickly.

A pressure pot causes the bubbles to reduce in size until they are not visible to the naked eye.

The resin is just water clear epoxy resin. They have made two batches with different pigmentation and minimally mixed them together.

>>1037367
I've been wanting for years now to find someone with a huge collection of guns locally who will allow me to 3d scan their rifle stocks so I can have exact dimensions of a huge variety of custom stocks to sell.
>>
>>1037833
not op, but if I make the pressure vessel out of something with a small size like a length of metal pipe with capped ends and put a fitting on one end do you think I could get away with using a 2 cfm vacuum pump? I have one for doing sealed system work on fridges... I feel like it should drop the pressure very quickly, but I have no experience with resin... just saw this and thought it looked awesome, also any online sites you'd recommend for purchasing resin from?

thanks for any advice
>>
File: resin.jpg (226KB, 1119x1164px) Image search: [Google]
resin.jpg
226KB, 1119x1164px
>>1037833
>>1037404
from left to right to bottom is what happens when you use pressure, leave it in the open, and put it in a vacuum.

The kind of resin you use for this sets way too quickly to use a vacuum.
>>
>>1037869
just do the calc. 2cfm pump. whats the volume of the chamber? say you get a piece of 2" steel pipe at 12" long. thats .02 ft^3. should pull down in a second or two not accounting for the displacement of the wood piece.
>>
>>1037910
how much pressure? like 60psi?
>>
>>1037833
>huge collection of guns locally
Are you near Wisconsin?
>>
>>1037914
Yep
>>
>>1037869

It's not necessarily about how fast the vacuum chamber evacuates, but how fast the resin will let all the air bubble out.

Additionally, your vacuum chamber needs to be much larger than than the amount of material you're casting; the resin will expand to many times its original volume (the stuff I usually work with gets up between 700% and 1000%,), and your container needs to be large enough to account for that. Really, though, small HVAC pumps work fine for this even using large, 3-gallon+ pots.

For reference, my usual pot is on the small side, as an ~8" section of 6" PVC pipe with some acrylic on the top/bottom. The 3CFM pump I use with it can pull it down to just about nothing in less than 20 seconds, though it takes somewhat longer to get the last bit it's capable of, of course. The bigger issue is the aforementioned expansion of the resin, which will greatly limit how fast you can de-gas it if you can't let it expand fully without having to wait for it to settle.
>>
>>1037403
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc907FbLK4U
>>
>>1038558
Not quite the same thing, but still a damn nice looking table
>>
File: 1469631742303.jpg (35KB, 485x435px) Image search: [Google]
1469631742303.jpg
35KB, 485x435px
>>1038558
w-wtf is happening at 3:45??
>>
>>1037347
>maybe they only banned the black ones.
You're probably right
>>
>>1037364
My mom makes me food in this. She says food becomes cooked faster in this.
>>
>>1037910
>from left to right to bottom is what happens when you use pressure, leave it in the open, and put it in a vacuum.
I've never done this particular thing, but I've seen electronics potted and they always use a vacuum on that.

The way you can do that at home is you build a (partial) vacuum chamber by using a piece of 6" or 8" PVC pipe with a permanent cap on one end and a screw cap on the other.
If you don't want to pay for an electric vacuum pump, you can just use a car brake bleed (hand) pump.
You have to max it out and release it a few times to try to get all the bubbles to come out/fill in.... but you should do that no matter what kind of pump you use.

The bubbling here could be caused by all the air that is normally present in wood.... With electronics, you don't put porous materials in there. It's all just metal and plastic.

>The kind of resin you use for this sets way too quickly to use a vacuum.
I'd think that you could just use resins with a longer working time, but anyway. Still doesn't avoid the bubbling issue caused by the wood.
>>
>>1038773
It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 5+ hours to get the air out of wood, vacuums are only good for stabilizing wood which uses a heat cure resin so you can afford to let it go for hours.
>>
>>1038623
Wood burning under high voltage
>>
>>1037833
Shit anon. Try the gun shops. Theyd love to carry your stocks if they were descent.
>>
>>1037188
Penis pump.

I shit you fucking not. Get one with a proper pump on it, pulls enough vac for small jobs no problem and will only set you back 10-20
>>
>>1038781
Obviously, explain how it works
>>
>>1038901
>Penis pump.
>I shit you fucking not. Get one with a proper pump on it, pulls enough vac for small jobs no problem and will only set you back 10-20
The hand-operated pumps used for penis pumps are really car brake bleeding pumps. You can buy them at auto parts stores.
>>
>>1038946
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenberg_figure
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.