[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sorting Machine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: amazon_transaction_lrg.jpg (123KB, 902x699px) Image search: [Google]
amazon_transaction_lrg.jpg
123KB, 902x699px
I want to build a machine capable of sorting coins, specifically silver from other alloys. I figure the best way to do this would be to judge coins via weight.

I intend to set up a mechanism which drops one coin at a time onto a scale, and then after weighing, have the scale tilt in order to dump the coin into one of two categories.

Thoughts on how this might best be accomplished?
>>
>>1037000
There are already machines like this. Can't give you any brand names but I read about it months ago.
>>
>>1037001
I discovered one when I was doing preliminary research but I'd rather make my own than pay $500 for one.
>>
>>1037002
It will cost you more than $500 in opportunity cost.

Any way, what's the occasion? Do you have access to large amounts of circulating currency? If you're thinking of getting tons from the bank and then return it I heard that's very hard nowadays. And often they only find a couple dollars worth of silver.
>>
Could also consider conductivity or possibly the signal of a metal detector if you're set on doing this.
>>
>>1037000
Do it based on conductivity. Silver is a lot more conductive that everything else. A metal detector type sensor would allow for fast sorting
>>
>>1037004
I have always been into coin collecting, and I like (trying) to build things. My time is worthless anyway; I'm unemployed, and don't want to have a job right now.

I'm also planning on going for dimes, since the incidence of silver quarters is very low. The logic behind this is that dimes are much harder to sort out (they can't be eyeballed from the side of the roll), and the denomination just isn't as exciting to people from what I've seen. I'm going to pick up some rolls at the bank tomorrow to get a gauge of what's still in circulation.

>>1037007
>>1037010
Thanks buds.
>>
>>1037012
Also since silver slides slowly down a 45 degree ramp of magnets but the nonsilver coins go straight down you could use timers and a pushing mechanism. The challenge would be in devising some way of precisely feeding the coins 1 by 1.
>>
>>1037000
Was going to say conductivity, but I see it's already been noted twice.

As a coin guy myself, the easiest way to sort bulk coins is by eyeball. Just look at the dates. Easy, peasy, and free (beyond the coins themselves.)

Also, don't bother hunting dimes, not worth your time. Get half-dollars from smaller banks. Instances of pre-65's are rare, but 65's to 70's were 40% and very few folks actually know that. You'll get better "yields" from your "urban mining" by getting half-dollar rolls.
>>
>>1037085
>Also, don't bother hunting dimes, not worth your time.
I will get back to you on that once I check on the instances per roll. Currently there's a $5 roll on eBay right now going for about $85. I will check out the half-dollars tho.
>>
File: Silver.png (814KB, 732x686px) Image search: [Google]
Silver.png
814KB, 732x686px
>>1037100
Trust me bro. Before I quit hunting dimes, I was at $0.10 per $1200 face. Everyone knows pre-64 dimes and quarters. Half-dollars are where it's at.

>pic related, $10 face in 40% silver found in $140 worth of halves, and the ONE dime I've found in the wild in the past year (a '43 Mercury,) and the dime wasn't found in a roll, it was found in the reject tray of a coinstar.
>>
>>1037000
I do the nightly deposit in a busy fast food place, I've done this for years. I've handled tons of change, literally. First, you can eyeball dimes no problem, there's no point in wasting your time with conductivity or weight. Second, at least in my area, silver coins are nearly gone. I can't remember the last time I saw one. Ten years ago I'd see roughly a coin or two a night. I've seen more silver certificates in the last few months then silver coins, two of them as a matter of fact.
>>
>>1037125
>>1037114
Alright guys. Thanks a lot. I guess if they are really that low in circulation, I won't pursue it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.