[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power Tool Brands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: JUST-.jpg (70KB, 1070x803px) Image search: [Google]
JUST-.jpg
70KB, 1070x803px
Hey /diy/ young carpenter's helper here (18, going back to Uni soon)

I've been looking to buy a few tools to set up a small furniture making wood shop, nothing too fancy just book cases, small desks, two seat sofas', so forth. It'll have to be in a small room but it has a window and I have a box fan for ventilation. Anyway:

I read some history on the brands of DeWalt, B&D, Makita, and found out a lot of the tools are made by the same companies, for example B&D make DeWalts and brought Makita into a long court battle regarding product dumping in the USA which allowed them to acquire other companies and expand their contractor lines with DeWalt.

I'm confused. Honestly I'm kind of pissed. I just want a tool that will work, and won't betray me down the line, to the point I'm considering manual tools. I take care of my fathers tools despite them being old and beat up, so what should I get to make some furniture then? What brand would you recommend for someone like me? I know what tools to get just not where to get them from. Most of the reviews I see online are bought. Should I go to yard sales and thrift shops to search for tools? I might not be able to since there are none at my Uni, so online recs appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
Honestly, we have these threads weekly.

The consensus is any of the big name brands will compare just as well when put to task. Doesn't matter.
>>
Only buy old used power tools if your sure new replacement battery's are available.
>>
File: 1469763065772.jpg (62KB, 570x494px) Image search: [Google]
1469763065772.jpg
62KB, 570x494px
>I'm considering manual tools
Fucking top idea, old boy - that will save us all having to read the shitfest that this thread is shortly about to become.

Not that I CGAF really either, but, I think it was actually TTI/Milwaukee got taken to court by Makita for shady practices - which may have been yet another issue tho, they all at it.

>Should I go to yard sales
yes.
>there are none at my Uni
aint none in my back garden either - solution?
>>
>>1031773
>>
>>1036915
thread
>>
>>1036915
actually, what he said - yard sales and stuff are good for old manual tools, strange things and cheap 'corded tools' - I would go further tho and suggest, fuck buying anything tool-related that needs a battery second-hand, anywhere. The battery is almost certain to be fucked, and replacing it will cost you near the same as buying new.

So, 2nd hand for everythiing else (esp. if you can repair the odd fault) and can use corded - want a cordless? - Biy new, its not like theres no choice. And, as >>1036910 rightly said, they all the fucking same anyway at prosumer / hardware store tier.
>>
>>1036917
My university is rather isolated, like it takes two hours to get to some kind of houses or anything like that.

Well I'll take your advice though, I can take a train to the city for a few hours then spend the day browsing and come back at night. No pain no gain.

>>1036927
Thanks appreciate it anon.

>>1036915
Got it.

>>1036910
Then I guess I'll just buy the cheapest corded tools new and get the tools I really need (manual tools) from yard sales, etc.
>>
So I talked to my parents about it, and my Pops just literally went on eBay and bought me a Stanley Defiance Hand Plane, told me to buy a grinder once I get the money to sharpen it properly, and to get to work. Cost him $30. Good stuff?

Were poor but he just up and bought it. He wants me to work with my hands apparently and encourages me to finish projects. First time we worked together we built this desk I'm using. He told me to build my own work bench soon to take to University.

So is my dad as based as I think he is?
>>
>>1036946
Sounds pretty based desu...
>>
>>1036900
if you go for one of the bigger brands that has invested a lot in their battery tool selection you would save some money down the line as you only need to buy one charger and 3-4 batteries.

i know makita bosch dewalt and milwakee has all the battery tools you need.

i went for makita.
and would recommend any of the above, just stick with one
>>
I'd buy corded tools for the shop since they are inexpensive and work well. Much love for my many cordless tools but not necessary in-shop.

Ebay has a fuckton of manual and power tools of all kinds and you can lurk for deals. Since travel is a hassle, don't spend money on travel and do Ebay instead.

I can afford any new tool I want but I learned how to score quality used tools for much less and enjoy the hunt and sometimes the repair (brush swaps and commutator cleaning are easy).

Ebay is stellar for getting pic of any tool which interests you. Spend an evening looking some up.
>>
>>1036900
Festool
HIlti

Best
>>
>>1038064
>18
>no money
kys already, you fucking retard.
>>
>>1038069
why talk makita then

Get cheap decent tool u need, and buy some good ones for the things u do the most.

buy GOOD bits and sharp drills. they cost a bit more but are worth it.

Like a Skill (bosch factory)

It will probably die quick because of all the dust.

DUST KILLS MACHINES.

So, invest...
>>
>>1038073
>makita
I sold a Makita cordless drill in the local paper, I got it back as a Christmas present from my brother-in-law, minus the power pack
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.