[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Budget standing desk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: standingDesk.jpg (228KB, 3487x1743px) Image search: [Google]
standingDesk.jpg
228KB, 3487x1743px
Sup /diy/ I am interested in having a standing desk for my laptop and paperwork but the cheapest I can find start at 200€. You guys have an Idea how I can save some money by building it myself?

Talking about adjustable desks btw.
>>
File: 20160810_131848.png (1MB, 1439x2233px) Image search: [Google]
20160810_131848.png
1MB, 1439x2233px
>>
>>1036439
>comfy
maybe, he sprung for a slightly bigger than 9" laptop,, as opposed to an overpirced hipster-meme desk, could just lie on the floor like the rest of us.

@OP - hydraulics. I'll say no more, but, someone else might. Youd still need an existing (or new) tabletop, and a bit of metalwork (prob welding) - that + height adjustment, you aint /diy/ing shit under $200, srs.
>>
"adjustable" could be as simple as sticking a car jack underneath it, or manually lifting it and sicking a bolt in the side
>>
File: retardo.jpg (10KB, 300x257px) Image search: [Google]
retardo.jpg
10KB, 300x257px
>You guys have an Idea how I can save some money by building it myself?

Well, since you're in Europorian lands where there is naught but mud, mud slimes, and rocks with not a tree in sight-- yeah? No?

Here in Burger land, I'd just go to a lumber mill and spend 50 bucks on materials and have more than enough to build a desk.

To make it raise/lower, you need to pick a simple machine.

Off the top of my head, the choices I'd suggest
- A rack and pinion gearing + a crank

- Simple ratchet lock + manual lifting, not like you're a woman or something, right?

- A scissor vice -- as per Anon's car jack suggestion. Scissor vices can be made out of just about anything, just keep in mind that they are a double edged fulcrum! Both positive AND negative, it all depends on the actuation angle at current dt; basically, you start winning when it's > about 30 degrees. This means that to get a constant mechanical advantage you need a certain count of pentograph units for a given distance span for a given member unit length.

Oh so simple!

- A pulley attached to the ceiling + a rope. You could also put the pulley on a crane pillar attached to the desk, it just needs to be at least as high as the top extent of the desk.

- Make the legs two giant wheels, with the desk on axial offset from the center axial. Then, when you roll the wheels the height of the desk changes.

Kek, okay, enough madness.
>>
File: megaretard.jpg (127KB, 450x407px) Image search: [Google]
megaretard.jpg
127KB, 450x407px
>>1036460
Here, I found an example of a ratchet, this is what you could use as a simple machine to raise / lower the height of the desktop. Though, in your build you'd obviously want the ratchet lock points to be further apart and over a longer span.

Unless you're an amputated midget, then I suppose pict related would be perfect as your new desk.
>>
>>1036435
The usual problem with building your own adjustable-height sit+stand desk is that there is no mechanism that is both inexpensive, and that feels reasonably solid.
Most people desire a desk that is fairly solid, and even the cheaper commercially-made desks like this tend to wobble quite a bit.

A better solution is to build two boxes, about knee-high. Put your normal desk up on those so you can stand at it. Find a tall stool to use for when you want to sit.
This way you use a normal desk that feels solid, and you can even get some more storage space in the two lower boxes if you leave one side open.
>>
That's the cheapest I can think of.
Alternatively you can use bricks if you're going for more industrial look.
>>
Isn't it a LOT easier to have a standing desk and an adjustable chair?
>>
This, provided you have a shop full of woodworking equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JowgzxJR-xc
>>
>>1037155
If you had a metal-cutting band saw and a drill press, you could probably make the same sort of thing a lot easier...
It might not look as nice, but it would probably be stiffer.
>>
>>1036469
Grorius nippon got you covered
https://www.misumi-europe.com/en/

use this to create linear motion with aluminium extrusions.
http://www.misumi-europe.com/en/e-catalog/vona2/detail/110302264440/

For wood i would probably try to go with a scissor lift style execution instead of emulating a linear acutator like this guy.
>>1037155
>https://www.youtube.com

Instead of a motor use springs which are at equilibrium when the desk is at max size.

I might have gotten something wrong, but just my 2 cents.
>>
>>1036435
>adjustable
I use an ikea Ivar shelf as a standing desk, and it adjusts just fine if you don't mind fucking around with the pins each time. Mine's part of a larger bookshelf/tv console unit I put together but if you were just making a desk the parts plus a nice finish shouldn't set you back more than 100 kangaroo funbucks. Deepest you can get is 50cm, though. It's pine so no chipboard meme either.
>>
>>1036435
Go buy a couple of old chairs with decent gas lifts that go a decent distance and stick them at each side and you're done
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.