[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Antenna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: download.jpg (5KB, 358x141px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 358x141px
Long story short my family cut the cable. But we need access to local channels and I hate the indoor antennas. And most outdoor ones are cheaply made or expensive. I read about the stripped coax cable trick and wanted to give this a try. But, will adding to this make the signal stronger? Just wrapping it around some hangers and or any metal? Or would sticking with a transformer be the best bet? My current materials are a f-ton of wire fence from building a privacy wood fence and an equal f-ton of coaxial cable.

I know very little about this subject but have been reading a lot. I would just like a broader understanding.
>>
What frequencies does your TV band cover? If you can't answer that give us your location.
>>
>>1036246

I'm going to say vhf and uhf
>>
>>1036254
More specific.
>>
>>1036254
Reverse image suggests Aussie. If so which broadcast site are you taking your signal from?

https://ozdigitaltv.com/
>>
>>1036227
>most outdoor ones are cheaply made or expensive

not true, depending on your definition of expensive
mine was sub $50
>>
>>1036326

Sorry I'm U.S.
>>
File: antenna inside attic.jpg (146KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
antenna inside attic.jpg
146KB, 640x480px
>>1036227
> Long story short my family cut the cable. But we need access to local channels and I hate the indoor antennas.

Mount the large roof-top antenna _INSIDE_ the attic hanging up-side-down from the roof joists.

When I bought my house and first looked up in the attic, I was surprised to see an 1970s era tv antenna up there and while I’ve never used it for tv, (I just use rabbit ears, I’m a cord-cutter also, 8 years now) I have used it with my stereo in the past and got fantastic radio reception, so it will work for broadcast tv also and by mounting the antenna in the attic, you’re protecting it from wind and weather and don’t have an ugly ass antenna screwed into your roof, which could result in water leakage.
>>
>>1036426
Can be ok with a tile roof with no foil insulation. Internal roof installs can be more prone to interference from shit inside the house like smps etc.
>Signal to noise ratio

>>1036408
Then post the broadcast site you will be taking your signal from.
>>
File: Radar-All.png (52KB, 800x768px) Image search: [Google]
Radar-All.png
52KB, 800x768px
-Go to tvfool.com and run a signal analysis. Address is OK, exact coordinates are better. This way you can determine if you need VHFlo, VHFhi, UHF, or a combination (likely VHFhi/UHF). Look at the real/physical channel numbers, NOT the virtual channel numbers. VHFlo are 2-6, hi 7-13, UHF 14-51. Maybe take a screenshot of the results and post here.

Look at which channels will reasonably come in. Channels near the top marked as LOS will likely come in. In my situation (see pic) I have a VHF lo/hi/UHF antenna aimed west in order to receive physical channels 2, 7, 12, 15, 18, 20, and 22.

-Buy an antenna at solidsignal.com, amazon, Lowe's, Home Depot (obviously more expensive & shit selection at physical stores). Winegard, Channel Master, Antennas Direct, and RCA are good. Avoid the "modern" ones that have lots of plastic or funky 50's retro-futuristic designs as they're made more for looks than performance.

-Determine WHERE the channels are that you want, so you know where to aim the antenna. You might not need to aim straight at a tower to get some channels. or you might need great aim and an antenna amplifier. You also need to think about where the antenna is installed (above the roof line, side of the house) since another building or a metal roof/wall can interfere with the signal. People assume higher =better, but that isn't always the case since some frequencies are better at "bending' around a hill.

-To get an idea of signal strength at your location, you can try a pair of rabbit ears from Walgreens (front wall near the headphones) and scan for channels (then return the antenna back to the store). You can then compare the results to your tvfool report and see which channels come in well and which you'll want to aim your antenna toward. In my case channel 2 is strong enough to come in on a paper clip stuck in the TV's antenna input, but 22 needs an outdoor antenna aimed right at the broadcast tower.
>>
Also,

>>1036227
> I read about the stripped coax cable trick

I've never heard of that but it sounds stupid. You want to use RG-6 cable with proper shielding. Why you would want to mess with it is beyond me.
>>
>>1036778
Op won't reply for a while now, he's busy getting thank you blowjobs off his girlfriend.
>>
>>1036426
I installed 3 antennas in my attic. The $35 GE brand one did the best of the three, include the homemade one I slapped together from plans online.

I had no idea that there were 45 local free broadcast stations in my area.
>>
>>1036853
Could you please link the GE one that worked well for you? Not OP but also interested in antennas.
>>
>>1036737
Op here.

I'm sorry I don't under what you mean by broadcast sight.
>>
Op here.

Sorry guys I didn't think anyone would reply back so I gave up...

>1036776
Here is my map

I guess I'll just stop being cheap and save to buy one.
>>
File: 2016-08-13 22.41.19.png (772KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-13 22.41.19.png
772KB, 1080x1920px
>>1038204

Sorry here
>>
File: MT-D.jpg (1MB, 3000x1993px) Image search: [Google]
MT-D.jpg
1MB, 3000x1993px
>>1038179
Usually a mountain top with TV broadcast towers. Not always this big if its a small local coverage only site.

>>1038205
Got a computer rather than a phone?
>So blurry
>>
>>1036227
https://www.solidsignal.com/m/product.aspx?p=HDB4X&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=hdb4x&gclid=CjwKEAjwrcC9BRC2v5rjyvSbhWASJACKkjDzo3T1WLGmwXkZqvERsPLmFtzYU_N3SSbvO9NB1Q1N0xoCKgTw_wcB

This one is cheap and effective. Put it up in your attic, it will more than do the job.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.