[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I let weeds overrun my lawn and never mow because it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: sad-frog.jpg (27KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
sad-frog.jpg
27KB, 550x535px
>I let weeds overrun my lawn and never mow because it's natural
>monoculture iz bad okay?
>muh organic "lawn" free of herbicides and pesticides
>bald patches, crabgrass, and dandelions look better than manicured grass amirite?
>etc

Why do lazy, work shy shitheads always make these excuses when they realize that their dilapidated property fucks things up for everyone else around them?
>>
>>1033641
you want an 'English Lawn' - you prob. do need to mow regularly (and maybe water, depends climate) - rest? - the entire barrage of chemical warfare, etc. - fuggin unnecessary Lawnz Co Inc. shill garbage.
>>
at least around here you only have to keep it under 12", though even then they'd likely just give you a warning and try and get you to mow it rather than fine you

I don't get why some people obsess over grass, especially in drought areas...I'd have no problem switching to wood chips and larger native grass plants
>>
>>1035614
>I don't get why some people obsess over grass, especially in drought areas...
When you buy a house in a cozy neighborhood, it comes with responsibility to do your part to keep it cozy for everyone. Part of that means not disturbing the peace with loud music at 3AM, part of it means keeping your pit bull from tearing the neighbor's kids to shreds, part of it means not shooting bullets into the sides of your neighbor's houses, and most importantly, it means keeping your gardens and lawns tidy.

>native
There's that word again. Your derelict lawn full of "native grasses" is a fucking blight.
>>
>>1035614
>especially in drought areas

>Be me
>Be lazy AF
>Buy house
>Stop watering lawn so I don't have to mow it
>Pull out the obvious weeds once or twice a week
>drought on so 70% of the yards look like mine or worse
>29% are drought tolerant yards
>1% are the assholes that still have green grass
>One on my block catches hell from the city for water overuse (watering the sidewalk, like a dick)
>I'm a good person

Feels good man.
>>
>>1035605
You do not need any chemicals to grow a nice lush lawn. Especially if you have a new fresh lawn. Light weed picking the first two months to give the grass time to establish. From there regular mowing and watering will keep the grass so thick under the ground that weeds cannot easily grow.
>>
>>1035615
oh look, its the /diy/ Homeowners Association Rep again..
GTF OFF _MY_ LAWN, FASCIST (auspiciously loads rifle, spits on dusty native weed)
>>
>>1035615
You're that faggot that starts these threads' every couple months and you live in fucking Kentucky or something and you try to shut on Californians and Arizonians not having lawns and having native plants instead because it is fucking illegal to water a lawn.
>>
>>1035615
>cozy

facism is only cozy if you're in charge

>blight
clearly you haven't lived in a "real" neighborhood
>>
>>1035598
Why do you care what my lawn looks like? I sure as shit don't.
>>
File: 1468968490070.jpg (59KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
1468968490070.jpg
59KB, 500x669px
>>1035598

>no HOA
>nice lax city codes

come and get me motherfucker
>>
I mow my yard but don't have real grass. I am not having my whole yard responded and get a sprinkler system to feed it because some dick down the road wants to live in cookie cutter ville. I bought in area with minimum deed restrictions for a reason.
>>
File: Roverslasher1.jpg (136KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Roverslasher1.jpg
136KB, 800x600px
I sometimes mow the back yard when it gets to 5 feet.

Not OC but what I use.
>>
>>1035605
>fuggin unnecessary Lawnz Co Inc. shill garbage.
It depends. If you want an English garden on Saara or Siberia, some extra actions will be needed!
>>
>>1035598
Fuck off stupid frogposter
>>
>>1035616
>Be lazy AF
>Pull out the obvious weeds once or twice a week
Dude, you are not LAF
Lazy people do nothing about weeds
IDK if OP was only talking about the visual aspects of a shitty lawn but:
Weeds that produce seeds that blow in the wind are a "fuck you!" to every other homeowner.
Kill your dandelions, or you are sending a spraying bill to each of your neighbors every year.
>>
File: IMAG0053.jpg (560KB, 2048x1225px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0053.jpg
560KB, 2048x1225px
>ice down a six pack in cooler
>bungee down to transmission
>repeat once a week
I like mowing my grass.
>>
If you don't plant meadow seed and wildflowers you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1035605
Englishman here, what's an English lawn?
>>
>>1036886
non-retard here, 'What is Google?'
but anyway, Mr Englishman -
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn#The_English_lawn

basically, traditional/original meaning would literally be 'a garden used for pleasure (and thus, non-agricultural)' - but nowadays, usually a generic for close-cropped, striped, well-cared for, near-manicured grass lawn.

>https://www.google.com/search?q=English+Lawn&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Its actually not all that common a phrase either, esp. if you are from Birmingham or similar post-apocolyptical hole.
>>
>>1036902
Literally never heard the term in my life desu and I volunteer at one of Capability Brown's landscape gardens.
>>
>>1035598
Fuck off, faggot. You're worse than a prissy old bitch who gets upset about other people not rigorously upholding her same pointless, time-consuming, and completely arbitrary standards of fashion and beauty.
>>
>>1035598
I'm crippled.

Still pushmow my giant yard.

Cant keep a rider running.

Mfw i pushmow 3 fucking acres and my dissability drawing cuck neighbor has a zero turn... and mows once a month...
>>
>>1035598
My pops jumped my ass yesterday cause he drove by and saw my backyard was taller than my 8 foot privacy fence. Fucking kek.

I push mow a billion goddamn square feet and i am a hoarder. Kiss my ass, i'll use a metal bladed weedeater when it gets down to 60 degrees.
>>
>>1036580
I would too with that mutherfucker. Assumi g i wouldnt blow it up like my graveyard of riders...
>>
If you don't like you can mow it.
>>
>>1036569
Dandelions are delicious and nutritious.
>>
>>1036952
>Cant keep a rider running.

Learn how. It ain't shit. If one human can do it, another can do it. Thanks to online shopping I don't bother with local stores for anything except a belt now and then.

If you attack one at a time and post a thread other Anons can help.

I cut off all the external wiring on my oldest machines since starting and safety switches usually fail. Common Briggs engines will run completely disconnected and it's even part of the ignition test. I kill them with the throttle.

Learn how to clean carbs. Undiluted Pine-Sol is a great carb dip and doesn't fuck up plastic.

I put shutoff valves between my fuel tank and carb, then remove the automatic shutoff solenoid plunger or replace it with a metric bolt.

Most rider problems are minor. I return mine to the old style "no accessory shit" mode and run the fuck out of them.
>>
>>1038065
I stopped buying mower batteries years ago. I use jump packs for many other things and start my mowers with them.

I clip to the positive lead on the starter motor then ground to the muffler or any clean surface. Lights right off since a jump pack is stronger than a mower battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-1700-12-Volt-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6 is excellent and spins my truck and Harley engiens easily.
>>
I let weeds grow because I don't care about them and it's my property.

Your problems aren't my problems.
>>
I let most weeds grow because they grow quickly.

So when I mow the lawn I have plenty of grass clippings to compost/ Cover the roots of the plants in my garden to keep the moisture in the soil.

Blow me, you ten ton ponce
>>
>>1036569

I intentionally grow dandelions because I like the taste of their roots.

There is no such thing as a weed.
Just plants you cunts think taste funny or look unattractive.

A lawn isn't a carpet
>>
I keep my grass cut because of this little thing called pride in ownership. I like it when my place looks nice.
All you fags commenting about how you don't care, or its just weeds are probably just lazy.
>>
>>1039465
poison ivy... stinging nettle... poison sumac

these are weeds
>>
>tfw neighbor dug up his lawn last year because of the california drought
>tfw he never did anything with it, just left it as dirt

now weeds have taken over and it is just a jungle of weeds, bunch of bullshit if you ask me
>>
Just moved into this house, its gutters were completely clogged so I cleaned them

There is an underground drainage system, and its of course clogged too.

I CANNOT for the life of me find the exit for the water in the front yard. The back yard one is very easy to find.

Is there an easy way to find it, and is there any good way to clean it without hiring someone to do it?
>>
>>1039525
Have you tried running a hose in the possible intake ?
>>
>>1039547
Sorry I should have said that.
The front yard has 2 intakes coming off of the gutters.

I have a "fireman nozzle" that sprays really hard, forced it into both of them. They both just overflow with water, and nowhere in my yard can I actually find the outlet. Its clogged pretty good
>>
>>1039491
Stinging nettle is a gerat ingridient for soups (older, bigger ones) and salads (young ones), as it doesn't sting anymore after you cut it down.
Poison ivy and sumac doesnt grow here, so I dont care about them
>>
>>1035598
I haven't mowed my lawn in ~5 years, I just leave it to do what it wants. It's full of flowers, bees, other pollinators, grasses, etc. Very well balanced, very peaceful, and very pleasing to the senses all around. The only thing I've done is remove a vine that had become to overtake everything, and bring in a few new plants I've found walking around other places.

You know what I find unpleasing to the senses? The sound of lawn mowers constantly all summer long, and through much of autumn. No matter when or where, there's a decent probability some fucker is out mowing their lawn. Weed whacking their lawn. Manicuring their lawn. Mowing on hot days and leaving their scalped lawn to become full of dried out brown patches. Wasting gas. And for what? For nothin'. It's ugly, obnoxious, and they don't even use it for anything. It's strictly what they were raised to do, and to uphold a delusional feeling of control.

You're a fool to be wasting time and money using herb/pesticides, say nothing of the bigger ecological picture or your own health. I live in a village in an otherwise rural area, and am fully aware my actions lead to a higher probability of any "weed" growing in someone else's space. But they mow enough that it isn't able to become a problem, and everyone is okay. When it comes down to it, I don't care either. They're in the wrong for wasting resources on nonsense tradition they've been brute forced into by their upbringing and social feedback loops. It is empty at its core.
>>
>>1039733
Where do you live, with your garbage ass soil?

I had an acre of land and let it go 1 year without mowing and it became a wasteland that took a lot of effort to clear
>>
>>1035598
You'd hate living by me then.

My front yard is where i grew lettuce, beats, carrots, and kohlrabi this year.
>>
Why not just replace your lawn with AstroTurf if you want a clean neat lawn that looks good? Don't need to mow, water, weed it and it will always look good. It'd probably need some sort of maintenance few times a year but nowhere near the amount normal lawn would. Like there are no negatives to this.

Besides you can get it in all kinds of funky colours so getting a hot pink lawn is certainly an option.
>>
>>1035598
Because they're right? (not counting the looks nice part. They are, in fact, ugly.)

Fuck lawns. They're a symbol of all the wastes of civilization.
>>
>ITT mental gymnastics performed by lazy people who can't be arsed to cut the grass.
Some of the ways you guys are trying to justify your laziness is pretty funny actually. But don't think for one minute it works. Your place looks like shit, deal with it.
>>
>>1035615
I'll shoot bullets into your house if I goddamn want to
>>
>>1039969
it does and I don't care
>>
Imma ask here,

What the fuck actually KILLS weeds, rather than making them fuck off for a bit and come back?

Got a patio area, fucking weeds growing through it. Chuck down some weedkiller and back they come next year.

Whats the nuclear option?
>>
>>1040025

Propane torch. They make adapters specifically for killing weeds.
>>
>>1040025
Pulling them by the root. Also making good grass grow in its place. There are always thousands of dormant weed seeds in every square foot of soil. There are also long lasting glyphosate based herbicides that come in a gel like tenacious form. No weeds can survive their presence, but if you get some on good soil you have to scoop up the contaminated land and throw it under your deck.

In my driveway I use backer rod and concrete to fill in the gaps. Keeps anything from growing in the cracks.
>>
>>1039874
And my lawn grows my herbs. And my lavender. And my mint.
>>
>>1035598

I mow my lawn, but I also make sure it uses native grasses and weeds. I rather like Dandelions myself, and think the biggest scam ever foisted on the American People is Monsanto's insistence we use herbicides to kill native plants on our lawn, in favor of Monsanto Brand zombie grass.

It is the perfect scam when you think about it. You buy their trademarked brand herbicide, and it kills everything on your lawn except their trademarked brand grass seed. The icing on the shit cake is that since its a non-native grass, there is no wildlife on your dead lawn.

I remember when I was a kid there would be clouds of fireflies in the summer out in the suburbs. Now though, if you want to find fireflies you have to go into the urban city centers where there is still native grass for them to hunt in.
>>
>>1035598
You don't get dank hallucinogenic mushrooms growing on a manicured lawn. You missin out op
>>
>>1035615
And out of all the things you've listed, you think lawn care is the most important? Are you implying a lawn is more important than people's safety?
>>
>>1040673
Not him, but clearly, we all see the answer
>>
>>1039733
I like the cut of your jib.

>>1039562
Yours too, but proofread ffs.

>>1039874
>>1040421
I hope to eventually do what you're doing, but I don't have a yard yet. Recently inherited some acreage about a hundred miles north of where I live, but it's still in the air how it all splits between my aunts and uncle and myself. I hope you're still here in a couple years while that and some other things come together, and willing to offer sage advice.

>>1040423
>urban city centers
Or >>>/out/ innafields. Rural Indiana here, where you at?

>>1040014
Lol

>>1035619
>auspiciously loads rifle
> auspiciously
I'd wish you luck, but you clearly don't need it.

>>1035598
I kinda almost feel bad for you, anon.
I don't really, though. I mean, I don't understand your plight; if you hate what your neighbors are doing, why don't you go confront them about it instead of bitching on an anonymous Latvian crockery polishing forum? We can't help you with this, and I doubt many of us would if we could. Do it Yourself.

tl;dr: Nice thread, but fuck you OP.
>>
>>1035598
I let mine go all the time and it isn't like that at all. Maybe you just work for a landscaping company, plont?

Manicured lawns are a detriment to the world and society.
>>
>>1040689
Rural Indiana?
Terre haute, here.
>>
>live between two aging pensioners
>they mow grass 4 times a week
>"hey there anon your lawn is getting kind of shaggy, its lawn mowing season you know"
>>
>>1040730
>>1040689
Rural southeastern Indiana here. Who knew DIY had this many hoosiers.
Cut your fucking grass.
>>
Concrete slabs, and slate chips. A fenced off section for my vegetables. Fuck weeding (potato plants are pretty much self regulating and strangle weeds), if the little scraps of green between the slabs get too bad i blast them with a propane torch.

I've not had to mow a lawn in years and I'm a happier person and enjoy my garden better for it.
>>
>>1040730
I'm about a half hour from you, near exit 41 off i70.
>>1040917
I don't have a lawn yet, but you can bet that when I do it'll be full of food and not grass.

Thanks for the (you)s, anons. Feels good to know there are nearby strangers with similar hobbies (like hanging out on 4chan lol).
>>
File: ezgif-2805232549[1].gif (1MB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-2805232549[1].gif
1MB, 320x238px
>>1041014
>i blast em
>savage
>>
>>1041030
I did make some faux napalm once, petrol and styrofoam, 3rd time I nearly got arrested for terrorism.
I was just lucky enough to be white so I got away with it.
>>
>>1040025
Salt the earth
Annual weeds will come back otherwise
>>
>>1041014
this. you should only have a lawn if you buy a robomower.
>>
>>1040917
At this point, the only grass I have is the local mandated tree line. And half the backyard. It's not a matter of cutting my grass. It's a matter of doing something more useful. Herbs, food, chamomile, lavender.
>>
>>1041018
West, so near Brazil? Doesn't really matter, I'm so socially introverted that the idea of a meetup has me nearing an anxiety attack. But it is nice to know there's others nearby
>>
>>1041250
Near the Brazil/Greencastle/Cloverdale area, yeah. No worries m8, I don't particularly relish the idea of meeting a channer irl either. But I agree, good to know there are other Hoosiers on /diy/.
>>
>>1041310
Question for you. If you're not in a city, what kind of neighbor problem do you have with growing food in your front lawn? Or do you?
>>
>>1041420
No neighbor problem, no yard. I live with my father-in-law, in an apartment complex. I'm the licensed driver who takes him to all his doctor appointments, as well as dialysis 3x weekly; my wife cooks and cleans his apartment because he can't get up and about very well (but somehow gets around well enough to make messes right after she gets done cleaning a given room). Biding time, keeping him comfy and cared for until he either gets a new kidney or dies from dialysis complications.
>>
>>1041791
Here's a suggestion. Of you like tomatoes. Take a laundry basket, trash bag inside. Line with rocks for drainage. Fill with potting soil. Plant tomatoes.
Enjoy indoor tomatoes year round.
Seriously.
>>
>>1040558
Wat, mushrooms grow like crazy on "good lawns" because they get so much water and food.

Anyways, what does yall think about intentionally mixing clover in grass seed? I hear it's supposed to be good for the lawn's health and slashes fertilizer and watering requirements.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.