[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wizard tower out of concrete pipe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: PM_006.jpg (55KB, 710x297px) Image search: [Google]
PM_006.jpg
55KB, 710x297px
hey /diy/, been thinking about putting an addition on my house and i always liked the idea of a crows nest/wizard tower.

would stacking pic related on a foundation work? how would i go about making doorways or window openings?

is this just a retarded idea and i should do it out of wood?
>>
I'm no engineer but it seems like you'd need some kind of reinforcement to keep it from collapsing on itself from the weight

But again, I'm retarded so, you know, probably get a second opinion.
>>
>>1035590
call up the company that makes the cast concrete pipes you want to buy
>>
>>1035592
think they pretty solid, could probably stack a few - start cutting 'windows, and doorframes' into them, maybe problematic but.

bought 4 of these (slighttyy smaller) once as foundation 'feet' for something else - was surprisingly cheap, way cheaper than building shit form scratch.
>>
probably easier to use a silo, the metal ones would be more reasonable to build. the concrete or concrete block ones would be closer to the sewer pipe you are asking about... seems even a large diameter sewer pipe would be kind of tight to make a tower out of.
as for windows/doors into a sewer pipe - they do have rebar inside so cutting into them would be made a little more difficult and not sure if cutting out some of the rebar would affect their strength or resistance to cracking.
>>
that's not nearly enough details...

>>1035602
2nd for metal or brick
>>
OP here, didn't expect such fast replies from /diy/.

>>1035593
>call up the company that makes the cast concrete pipes you want to buy

i did and the engineer there says he can't really tell me much if i'm going to be cutting doorways and portholes in it. he's never heard of anyone using precast pipe in this manner.

>>1035609
>that's not nearly enough details...

currently im looking at a 6' ID with an 10" wall thickness, they come in 8 foot lengths and i'm wanting to go 20 ft above grade to the top of the last pipe.

>>1035602
>use a silo, the metal ones
those things rust like crazy and look like shit after a year or so. wood or concrete is what i prefer.
>>
>>1035621
details meaning where you plan on putting it and if/how it would be "attached"..if it is meant to be in any way finished/furnished/powered/etc.

you'd better research building laws before making any kind of plans to see if it would even be legal

I would think a crows nest added to the roof would be the most feasible, if it is actually meant to be used
>>
>>1035628
>details meaning where you plan on putting it and if/how it would be "attached

if i do it out of concrete, it will be seperate from the house. if out of wood, then attached.

>if it is meant to be in any way finished/furnished/powered/etc

yeah, some benches/bookshelves/lights..

>you'd better research building laws before making any kind of plans to see if it would even be legal

i called the city planners office and as long as my foundation is up to code i can go to 30 ft roof height maximum.
>>
File: wizard.jpg (214KB, 760x596px)
wizard.jpg
214KB, 760x596px
>>1035590
You 'can' cut reinforced concrete pipe... but, you'll need an angle grinder with a diamond cutting wheel and water. Not one of the little poofy little electric grinder either, we're talking the big petrol powered madness. Plus if you where sticking the pipes on top of each other you'd need a fucking big crane and they're expensive

Personally, I think the pipe would make a good ground foundation, dig it halfway into the ground, fill it with concrete- then just make the turret and internal steps out of bricks on top of it.
>>
>>1035632
well which would you rather do?
what kind of budget are you shooting for?
do you want to use it year round?
>>
Someone should post one of those ww2 radio station/tower things for op. The germs used them for spotting aircraft. Theu where setup in a grid pattern to determine what direction the planes heading. Im on mobile to lazy to google wtf their names are to find a picture.
>>
Consider wind forces.

Id make a solid deep foundation, with metal beams going to the top of the rings so you can put tension on the concrete.
>>
File: TowerOfPizza.jpg (18KB, 224x300px) Image search: [Google]
TowerOfPizza.jpg
18KB, 224x300px
>>1035590
>>
>>1035600
the moment you start cutting out of them is the moment you realize you needed support (external or internal (I would suggest external, since you will save space inside)) for them. They are made to be buried underground, and to take huge amount of force from all the sides, but not vertical (so the company has no warranty on that), and I am 100% sure they will collapse because of a window/door/vent etc. without an reinforcement of some sort.
>>
>>1035621
>he's never heard of anyone using precast pipe in this manner.

There's probably a good reason for that...
>>
>>1035590
It's a retarded idea.

The fact that you have to ask is proof enough that you're not only not qualified to do this correctly, legally, or safely, but it's going to be so fucking expensive.

Just stop. Use fake brick facing if you want that look. Honestly you need to pay someone (and even more honestly, you need to seriously think about resell value/ability unless you're retired and plan to die in your suburban shit castle).

Hate aside, I like the idea myself. But there are ways to do it right, and you need to look into this way more before you even start.

Look up other towers (including square ones) in homes so you can see what is more feasible/might change your mind.
>>
>>1036034
Your lack of optimism is depressing but true, the fact is that it can only be 30ft high which probably includes the roof would make it shit and not worth it
>>
>>1035590

I'm not an engineer, but aren't concrete pipes heavy as shit compared to bricks? you might ruin your whole house, depending where you attach it.
>>
Civil engineer here its doable and you dont need to cut shit write down the height youll make it in first ill tell you your options im currently on mobile at 4 am in the field(fuck this job) so we'll solve everything tomorrow no worries. Good night.
>>
Op, for your doors and windows, if you cut on one of the ends, your almost going to guarantee a crack. If you cut in the middle, there is less chance of cracking, but you'll still probably get a crack. Best thing you could do is drive down to your local query and ask if you can buy blocks of stone from them, and then cement them together.
>>
File: 162876_xaltotun_wizard-tower.jpg (486KB, 1153x1600px) Image search: [Google]
162876_xaltotun_wizard-tower.jpg
486KB, 1153x1600px
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luke 14:28
>>
>>1035590
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_Tower

the nva watchtowers were built like this
>>
I work in a concrete precast factory, however we don't make these pipes but the process is probably the same as some of the stuff we make.
I doubt it would take the weight of itself to be able to get it high enough for a "tower"

The vertical products we make are all full of stressed metal bars which are stressed before the casting.
Those would be another obstacle for cutting windows/doors (which would only weaken the structure further)
>>
This board never ceases to make me laugh

>Yeah guys I'm going to build a wizards tower out of recast concrete pipes

Good luck op.
>>
>>1038261
24 replies, and no has said:

>Just build it out of straw and make it easy on the wolf, anon.

Which brings me to the important part: what about the arrow slits, OP? And have you even considered which direction to wind the internal staircase so you have the advantage in a swordfight, assuming you'll be the one on the higher steps?

Pro-tip: counter-clockwise when viewed from above.
>>
All these memey responses are kind of funny, but in all seriousness:

My grandpa laid the foundation of his house with the walls being made of cinderblock filled with liquid concrete and rebar rods.

Best thing I could think of would be to make the walls out of cinderblocks or bricks.
>>
>>1038264
>counter-clockwise when viewed from above
Wouldn't that put the wall in your way?
>>
>>1038275
Assuming you're above your invading opponent, facing him, and you're right handed, you should have a full swing with your sword, and they would be hacking against the wall. Halfway drunk-posting, so I could be backwards; you get the idea.
>>
>>1035590
>putting an addition on my house
>wizard tower

One does not simply...
>>
>>1035590
I would consult with a licensed PE anon, they could actually help to definitively tell you if this is possible or not. This board rarely provides any help to anyone wanting to do anything remotely creative. I think most of the people that reply are lonely, bitter, novice tradesmen that can only feel important by going on an anon image board and criticizing other peoples projects.

Anyway, Cool idea anon, be safe!
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.