[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Construct Custom Battery for Console Mod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: dreamcast.png (212KB, 650x419px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.png
212KB, 650x419px
I'm planning to do a mod on a Dreamcast: I'd like to construct a case with a 3D printer and make a Dreamcast laptop. One of the big challenges is constructing a battery to power it. How do I make a battery that can be attached to the internal PSU of the Dreamcast?
>>
There is also gonna be a 17 inch lcd too, so i need to figure out how to tie the psus to the same battery module.
>>
Remove internal psu and find what voltages it supplies, then get a laptop battery or make your own pack out of 18650s that match the highest voltage and make neccesary circuitry to get lower voltages if the dreamcast psu supplied multiple ones?
>>
>>1035468
Please mod it only if it's broken or damaged.
>>
>>1035468
Get yourself a brocken one it you wanna do that. Please don't damage a perfectly working one.
>>
if you go the route of removing the cd drive and using a GD EMU, you can get rid of the 12v rail entirely, making powering a project like this many times easier
>>
>>1035994
Purist video gamers are the worst
>>
File: Dreamcast PC.jpg (245KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast PC.jpg
245KB, 640x480px
>>1035994
>>1035997

Ugh, I plan on getting one with a damaged GD ROM drive so I can divide it into it's component parts. I'll use the guts minus the drive and modem to build this laptop or All-in-one, then I'll use the case to make a gaming HTPC using a PICO-ITX PSU and an AMD APU-based ITX build. Recycling the DC's motherboard is the tricky part of this project.

>>1036072
>removing the cd drive and using a GD EMU, you can get rid of the 12v rail entirely,
No shit? Doesn't the motherboard need the 12v rail too? I do intend to get a GD EMU and a modded BIOS for the Dreamcast; that way I won't need to load the disks and I would have a ton of games I can simply access.

I've never constructed a battery before and I don't see many examples of one that works flawlessly. It should be theoretically possible since the processor and GPU of the DC should be power efficient
>>
>>1036086
That's not being purist. That's conservationism. They exist in a lot of capacities, this guy happens to care about the limited resource that is old, working consoles.
>>
>>1036192
Tried and true method of making battery packs is 18650s, probably wired to a protection board appropriate for the number of 18650s you use, and connect that to a charging circuit of some kind (higher capacity one if you use a lot of 18650s, otherwise you can pick up a pack of 10 little 1A charging circuits for a couple bucks online)

As far as actually powering the Dreamcast, it all depends, but you'll probably be better off from an efficiency standpoint doing as others have said and removing the mains power supply and using converters to supply the various voltages yourself (make sure they've got the same or higher amp rating as the rail they're replacing obviously)
Not a perfect solution, but probably one of the better ones, executed properly
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.