[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Full bulletproof glass helmet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: seva_by_tink29-d473trd.jpg (215KB, 585x1366px) Image search: [Google]
seva_by_tink29-d473trd.jpg
215KB, 585x1366px
Hi!
I'm want to make big project but without your help I won't be able to made it (with help I probably still won't made it but it's worth trying)

So I want to make something like Seva suit from stalker game http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/19/18674/11896101_603933716413461_851491522477581620_n.jpg

I'm planning everything for a while but I have problem with a helmet. I'm 100% sure that I won't find bullet proof glass looking like this http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-kgpgw/products/130/images/779/mask-full__11762.1447970637.500.750.jpg?c=2
(I'm want it in this shape without nose and eyes)

So I want to ask you those two things:

-Is it possible to buy bullet proof glass and then form it?

-How later make this glass one-way glass? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-way_mirror
I know that it's possible because there are motorcycle helmets like that.

Thank you for attention.
>>
>-Is it possible to buy bullet proof glass and then form it?

No. If you'd bothered to study how it's made you'd know why.

Just make a pretend cosplay suit. A solid clear helmet is militarily useless. If you bothered to study war you'd know why.

Since you've not bothered to study. go do that instead of wasting thread space. When you study, all will become clear.
>>
>>1035408

Bulletproof "glass" is a laminate of polycarbonate, usually UV stabilized (to prevent yellowing in the sun).

You could vacuum form several sheets of it and glue them together. Note also that there's no single bulletproof glass. They're rated by their stopping power; you can easily get windows to stop most handgun and some rifle rounds, but AP rounds or a .50 BMG is a whole other story. What yours will stop would be mostly determined by how thick the mask is.

You can get half-silvered mirrors on acrylic/polycarbonate substrate. I THINK you can vacuum form them along with the other sheets without affecting light transmission/reflectance, but don't quote me on that.
>>
>>1035420

(cont'd.)

This being said, it seems like a waste to have an actual "bulletproof" mask designed like this. It's not like you're actually planning to get shot in the face with this on (if you were, you wouldn't be stupid enough to use a crappy design like this and DIY it yourself on top of that, I hope).

You should just do the single layer of half-silvered mirror, IMO. Going overboard is just going to be a waste of time and money; even on close inspection, nobody's going to be able to tell the difference, anyway.
>>
>>1035419
I know how bulletproof glass is made (layer of plastic , layer of glass and then repeat until it's done)
I want it to be cosplay suit but I also want this suit to work. I know that glass mask is useless against bullets but I won't go with it to a war (I have heavy metal helmet for this)
Glass front would help recirculated air system and would look cool but inside would be normal kevlar helmet.
>>
>>1035421
I don't plan to be shot to the face but I want protection against melee weapons and hopefully a 9mm protection.
>>
>>1035420
>You could vacuum form several sheets of it and glue them together.

OP won't be able to see through the giant frosty laminated glans. No /diy/er could hit the required tolerances.

He could sub out the job to an aircraft transparency manufacturer if he were rich and silly, but that's not /diy/. The shape is the manufacturing deal breaker.

If OP wants riot fun buy a real EOD helmet and remember they are designed differently than a clear plastic cock head for good reason. A bulletproff glass unsuspended/uncustioned helmet hitting your skull is asking for TBI.
>>
>>1035430
You have to be 18 to post on this website.
>>
>>1035408
Have you seen how far bullet proof glass deforms when it gets hit with a bullet?

The glass would need to be at least a couple inches from any part of your head. You also wouldn't be able to see for shit since any curvature in glass that thick would have crazy optical effects like you were wearing glasses that were the wrong prescription by a factor of 1000.

The lensing effect would pronably also focus sunlight if hit at the right angle, and melt your head like burning ants with a magnifying glass.

To answer your question, no you can't make a bulletproof glass face sheild with that kind of curvature. Blast resistant visors are a thing, but they're not bullet proof and look more like a extra thick grinding face shield than the ballistic face mask in your reference pic.

You can definitely make one as a costume, but don't expect it to provide any real protection.

Even with a real ballistic face mask you'll still break your face if it manages to stop a bullet.
>>
File: 81hc+XIOeFL._SL256_[1].jpg (10KB, 195x256px) Image search: [Google]
81hc+XIOeFL._SL256_[1].jpg
10KB, 195x256px
>>1035408
>-Is it possible to buy bullet proof glass and then form it?

There are two kinds of "bullet proof glass." There is one that is laminated glass and plastic. The other is a laminated plastic the whole way.

The first is rigid, obviously. The second could be bent and formed with the correct heating.

The problem is you're asking about a compound curve. Making bends across one axis is fairly DIYible. You might be able to heat-shape a sheet of acrylic, even a laminated one, but trying to form an inch thick laminate across two axis to make a bowl? You're talking industrial heated presses into heated molds. Not really feasible.

You could DIY a mask, though. 1/2" thick would probably be the most you could do without severe deformation, as long as you're careful. It would be painfully hard to pull off with the results as clean as you'd desire, though. It's far easier the thinner your material gets.

Make a positive of the face mask either in foam or wood or whatever, make a mold of it, cast it out of plaster, then use that as a template to heat-shape a sheet of acrylic. Kind of like vacuum forming but without the vacuum. You can heat the entire sheet in the oven till it gets just droopy, spot-work it with a heat gun, and eventually work it down over the template. If it gets too hot by even a few degrees it melts, stretches, and you've just wasted $40 worth of acrylic.

The one-way mirror finish is easy. They make window films for that.

...or you stop being an idiot, spend the $10, and just buy a mask that'll work for your cosplay with very few modifications. And try not to get shot in the face.

https://www.amazon.com/Disguise-Inc-Face-Adult-Mask/dp/B007ZJRY6C
>>
>>1035430
>I don't plan to be shot to the face
Famous last words for sure
>>
>>1035408
Might contact a submarine or aircraft salvage yard and try to find a porthole.
You could have it vacuum metalized for the reflection but I'd bet that porthole would be too heavy for practice use.
>>
Make exosuit instead
EXOSUIT STRONK
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-09-20-10-10.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-09-20-10-10.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>1035408
Disregard the naysayers in this thread, transparent faceshields are widely used by special forces around the world.
However i would go for a simple shape like pic related, as a mask would be magnitudes harder to make.
Also those things are heavy as shit and taking a shot to the face will at least temporarily incapitate you.
So unless you have comrades to cover your ass, you're fucked either way.
>>
>>1035829
this
connect bulletproof mask to exosuit
exosuit becomes rollcage
takes force of bullet instead of your head
>>
>>1035408
the problem is here that even if you managed to stop the bullet, it would still have a major concussive effect, try firing a gun not to your shoulder but to your head, that's how much impact that bulet would tranfer, no problem with .22, with bigger calibres you'd break your nek
>>
>>1035430
>>>1035421
>I don't plan to be shot to the face but I want protection against melee weapons and hopefully a 9mm protection.

Sometimes it's OK to buy shit. Ballistic face shields are one of those times. The makers have sufficient QC and testing to know what works. You can't afford to play in that league.

Make a gay stupid kiddy helmet for gay stupid cosplay. For combat, get combat fucking gear. Unlike gay stupid cosplay bullshit, combat gear is designed with, holy fuck, war in mind including effects of bullets, blast, shrapnel, ventilation, ergonomics, compatibility with comm gear and more. Gay stupid cosplay shit is totally fine if you are into that but don't fucking dare confuse it with combat armor.

You can buy modern helmet systems with mandible protection and ballistic visors which will protect you in combat. conditions. Revision makes some nice ones. I demo'ed their helmet system with a .milbro and would buy if I was in the bullet sponge business instead of an aircraft systems guy. If you need a custom addition get with their tech support.
>>
>>1038150
>stop being innovative!
>>
>>1038150
>SEVA suit
>Combat

I sure hope you don't do that stalker.
>>
>>1038150
>>1035941
>>1037877
>>1035678
>>1035630

When I was 17, I really wanted to build a suit with extensible parachute-fabric wings and minor firearms/melee protection and fight petty crimes because I didn't give a shit about my life.

I just gotta say, it warms the cockles of my heart that you guys are giving OP the time of day rather than telling him to fuck off with his batman shit.

Follow your dreams, OP. Follow them all the way to police lockup.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.