[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diy fence or contract?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: fencequote.jpg (88KB, 670x660px) Image search: [Google]
fencequote.jpg
88KB, 670x660px
anyone here have experience building fences? is it worth it to diy or should i just pay someone to do it?

>house on corner lot
>have another 15' to extend back(/side)yard fence
>need to add 90 linear feet of fence, 7 feet tall
>have brother who did his own fence and it came out really good, but tired him the fuck out
>mom had contractor do her fence, had him come out and give me a quote (pic related)
>brother's fence, which was even longer than my extension - only $1200 in materials
>contractor quoting $2700 for the fence, was trying to upsell me with 1-2 gates or privacy fencing but not necessary
>but contractor comes with 10yr warranty, removal and haul of my old fence, no hassle or work on my part, professional installation

well, should i /diy/ or just pay for the fuckin thing?

also, is redwood a good fencing material? i'd have to ask my brother what he used
>>
>bump
no one here has built a fence before?
>>
>>1035311
Read the sticky. Why does it have to be 7' tall? In any case, there's no way I'd pay that much for a fence. If you're not over 50 after the first couple of days you'll be conditioned better and it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
>>
>>1035311
I had to move my privacy fence. Sucked the fattest of dicks... 15 hours jumping up and down on cheaterpipe to get faggot tractor to dig. Rock bar all day. I'll be paying someone else next time. Fuck that shit.
>>
Depends if you like hard work and have time, duh.

If you work, expect it to take you 2 months as opposed to the contractors' two days with all the right tools.

Sounds like a ten year warranty is worth it too (unless the guy looks he'll die in 5)
>>
>>1035311
For what 30-40m of fence that's 2m high yeah ok 1000$ maybe.
Depends how you build it. I put up a shadow box style wooden fence using 3x3 posts every 6ft holding 12ft long 1/2 ft x 3/4 inch(?? 150x19mm) gravel boards cost about 7£/foot with a sack of concrete per post. Used stainless steel screws too because I'm a fucking badass.
If you are digging holes then check your soil type and get an auger or post holer type split spade gizmo. If you get spikey posts and hammer them in I can't help you. Gravel Is not sufficient to hold up a fence in my experience use concrete. A post holer leaves a nice neat hole. Once its set cover it with gravel and you should have put some gravel in the bottom of the hole too to help drainage.
If you don't give a fuck and you are using wood posts then soak the buried ends in used engine oil but this is most certainly illegal and will get you fucked
>>
>>1035361
doesn't *have* to be 7' tall

but i'm on a corner lot with a street that has some residential traffic and neighbors that take their animals for walks, etc.

7' was the highest i could go without a permit, and it seemed like the perfect height to make sure people can't just stand on their tippy toes and look over

>>1035381
ya i work a regular 40 hours a week. what about the price though - is it fair?

>>1035367
should i spring for privacy fence if i decide to pay for it?

>>1035387
$1000 should be the price for the contractor or for me to do it myself with my own materials?
>>
>>1035407
If you can go with 6' that will let you use 8' posts instead of 10'. That will lower your post cost, and you won't have to bury them as deep. This should even make it cheaper if you use the contractor. I don't know how metric dimensional lumber is sold, but I'd bet the sizes are close to imperial. Like I said, I'm cheap and like to work like that, so I wouldn't pay to have it done, but it IS some serious work, and if you don't have the tools... Good luck OP.
>>
Go to big box store and get pre-made 6ft fence sections for like 80$ a pop or cheaper. You'll need 15+/- a few of them. And some PT 4x6 fence posts to nail them to. at 80$ a pop that's 1200$ + the posts + the concrete. And if you're not retarded you can put it up in a couple days. These are 6 footers however, maybe raise them a ft off the ground and skirt with additional wood?

With this equation you're paying the equivalent of a grand for labor which isn't bad either way especially if they get rid of the old shit and keep it nice and tidy AND build it on site. I think 2700 is reasonable, but as always get 3 bids. Make sure you know what the design will be as well so you can compare apples to apples. Good craftsmanship is worth the premium.
>>
>>1035442
>cost/benefit analysis
thanks a lot, this is the kind of reply i was hoping for.

i don't know much about contracting or the price of labor, so i wanted to hear from someone who did. i guess i'll get 2 more quotes then

also, i don't know why everyone is leaning toward just a 6' fence... people can easily look over that, and i want the fence that faces the street to be private so i can be outdoors in my backyard butt naked if i so wish
>>
>>1035489
They were only suggesting it to save money
>>
Ausfag here with rock hard dirt, 40+cm diameter rocks that are small, and 2 hernited disks, and sneks n shit.

Needed the fence replaced to keep kids in, and fucktard redneck neighbours out. Quoted $2700 for one side, 1.8m high, with overlapping pailings, capped at top.

Spent a few hours swearing over a post hole shovel, bar and more moonshine than should be humanly possible to drink. All up, i bought a nice new coil nailer to replace my old one $700au. Was epically pissed, made a perfect fucking fence thats straight af and well perfect, and still saved around $1300. I used it as an excuse for a new nailer. Otherwise im certain you could figure out the savings. That said, ive got another 40m ive been putting off for about a year as im lazy. But there is still no fucking way id pay $$$$ for some dumb schmuck to put my fence up for me - they dont usually give a shit, out of line, not plumb, broken ass shit and about a metric shitton of $ an hour? Would take a crane to get my fucking wallet out.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.