[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can store sulfuric acid in a bleach bottle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: sulphuric_acid.jpg (34KB, 671x440px) Image search: [Google]
sulphuric_acid.jpg
34KB, 671x440px
Accident happened and had to store my sulfuric acid in coca-cola glass bottles.

I was thinking about using a big bleach or lye plastic bottle to store the acid.

Would that work?
>>
well you're the chemist here, does sulfuric acid react with that particular plastic?
>>
Yes, because SO4 is non polar you can definitely store it with polar bleach. In fact, bleach will keep it from turning clumpy and keep it useful for up to 10 years in a 1:0.5 ratio of acid to bleach. Just make sure its not scented bleach
>>
>>1035169
And the bottle is totally okay for it, the bottles are graded to hold battery acid
>>
How'd you go op?
>>
>>1035157
quick chem: acids are molecules that tend to dissocoate into hydrogen ions in solution, oxidizing things in the process. because they have different regions of electronegativity within the molecule (high at the S, low at the H) they are polar. Quick n dirty hint for dissolution is "like dissolves like". Some plastics are polar and some are nonpolar depending on the type. So you need to check for that. Or just use what literally everyone else uses and keep it in an amber glass bottle
>>
>>1035247
>oxidizing things in the process
Not OP but does that mean that, the more flammable something is, the more reactive with acid it is?
>>
>>1035170
For those who don't know;
>battery acid
for standard lead-acid batteries, is sulphuric acid.
>>
>>1035337
In to make a broad over-generalisation, a molecule which is highly reactive in one type of reaction is likely to also be highly reactive in another.

You can imagine highly reactive as being unstable.

The simplest example would be alkali metals like sodium and potassium. Their outer electron shells are identical so they react in similar ways, in most circumstances, but potassium, being more reactive, will react more strongly.
>>
>>1035339
>be me
>be replacing batteries on boat
>"oh look, these are unsealed batteries, better be careful"
>lifting it above my head to get it onto the quay
>"oh fuck"
>battery tips
>acid all down my front and into my shoes
>strange smell
>"oh my fucking foot"
>drop battery
>ow my other fucking foot

Fuck sake. Didn't think I'd gotten it so bad until I washed my clothes and they came out with patches missing. Scar on my toe never healed either
>>
>>1035392
hydrochloric is worse
source: lab junior year
>>
>>1035520

Nope.
>>
>>1035392
That's why you should always call a technician when you need a technical job done... like lifting a battery... kekekekekekek
>>
>>1035157
You should only store ammonia in bleach bottles.
>>
Op is already dead from chlorine gas poisoning
>>
>>1035520

Or ....hydrofluoric acid, which painlessly passes through skin leaving a mild burn...and painfully dissolves your bones, spreading along your skeleton.
>>
>>1035803
Not to mention precipitating calcium from blood, messing up muscles and nerves.
>>
>>1035803
ok but HF is real uncommon, plus just calcium gluconate if you're really worried
>>
>>1035894
The welders in my previous job had something which contained HF, apparently for cleaning stainless steel.
>>
>>1035520
depends on molarity. you can find much more concentrated H2So4 than HCL in labs
>>
>>1036250
Molarity isn't really the explanation. Unlike hydrochloric acid, concentrated sulfuric acid has also strong affinity for water and it is oxidant in suitable conditions.
If it has some dissolved SO3 in it (">100%") it is more corrosive than the small increase in kinda-sorta-molarity suggests.
>>
File: 1394174432373160003.gif (3MB, 636x288px) Image search: [Google]
1394174432373160003.gif
3MB, 636x288px
Acid + bleach = Chlorine gas

Congratulations you just made a chemical weapon and killed yourself with it.
>>
>>1035752
What technician
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.