[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be possible to turn a kiln into an industrial grade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (120KB, 950x1706px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 950x1706px
Would it be possible to turn a kiln into an industrial grade autoclave? I want to purchase One so I can make my own carbon fiber parts that are actually strengthened. I was thinking that a 3D printer in one would simplify fabrication.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 1461259779338.jpg (135KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1461259779338.jpg
135KB, 600x600px
>>
>>1034290
Is your autism flaring?
>>
>>1034288
No.

You should get a clear understanding of what an autoclave is and how it operates, if you don't believe me. It's a simple, No.
>>
>>1034288
I don't see why not.

Does it have trmperature controll?
Doesnit reach the temperatures you need?
Do you need a pressure other than one atmosphere?
>>
>>1034304

>Pressure
>Atmosphere

If it's not under pressure it's a kiln.
>>
>>1034304
>autoclave
>not pressurised

Pick one.

The entire point of an autoclave is to sterilise things. To do this it needs to be pressurised.

If it doesn't pressurise you might as well be trying to sterilise equipment in a vegetable steamer.
>>
even if you just want to create lots of steam, it will just fuck up the insulation of the kiln and it will fall apart
>>
>>1034290
look faggot why dont you post this shit in threads that are actually bait
>>
>>1034305
>What is ambient atmosperic pressure

>>1034344
Does OP need the pressure though?
>>
>>1034502
>Does OP need the pressure though?
He does if he needs an autoclave.
>>
>>1034502
Yes. As I said:
>>1034305

It's either an autoclave or a kiln. It can't be both. The principal behind an autoclave is that it works under pressure to make the heat transfer from steam 100% efficient in a short space of time.

The reason a kiln wouldn't work is because it isn't built to be under pressure. It would collapse. The lining would disintegrate. The time and money spent converting one would have bought you an autoclave and lost you a kiln.

Read up on rubber vulcanising. It's probably not too dissimilar to what op want to do.

It's gonna have to be an autoclave. Not a kiln. I.e. pressure. I don't know how else I can be blunt without drawing you a picture.
>>
>>1034288
Wouldn't a pressure canner work?
>>
>>1034590

Autoclaves work under negative pressure, it's essentially a vacuum.
>>
>>1034606
False. Autoclaves have a working pressure of 15psi which is about twice atmospheric pressure.
>>
>>1034663
Kys
>>
>>1034663

Yes 15psi under steam pressure. Not air pressure. If there is air inside the autoclave during operation it is inefficient, what's why all air is pumped out (vacuum) then the operational pressure is from steam at 120degC~. You don't just throw steam in because it's inefficient.

http://www.astell.com/autoclave-vacuums-explained

>The cycle begins with a pre vacuum, reducing the chamber pressure and removing the majority of air. A free steaming/ air purge stage then begins.
>>
>>1034296
Autoclavism, more like.
>>
>>1034588
I fucking understand how a fucking autoclave works, I'm not retarded.

What I'm saying is that if all OP needs is a really hot box to put his shit in, then a kiln will work just fine, If he needs pressure, then he needs an autoclave.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (20KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
20KB, 1280x720px
>>1034813

>I'm not retarded
>What I'm saying is that if all OP needs is a really hot box to put his shit in, then a kiln will work just fine, If he needs pressure, then he needs an autoclave.

You would have been better not replying and digging the hole. If you know what a kiln is, what an autoclave is, and what carbon fibre composite manufacturing is, you would know what he needs and not have to reply with and if/or answer.

He actually says in his post: "so I can make my own carbon fiber parts".

You should have started and finished there.
>>
>>1034668
That's only one type of autoclave - the important thing is that most of the air is purged, you don't actually have to pull a vacuum to achieve that. There are many autoclave designs which introduce steam in a manner which forces out air as steam is added. Once a sufficient amount of air has been replaced by steam the autoclave seals and increases to operating pressure.

This type of autoclave does not require a vacuum pump.

All autoclaves need a working pressure of at least 15psi to achieve proper sterilisation. Some autoclaves pull a vacuum.

Saying that 'Autoclaves work under negative pressure' is misleading since the actual 'work' (sterilisation) of an autoclave occurs under positive pressure.
>>
>>1034896

Your right. You don't need one with a vacuum, but for a substantial sized vessel you'd need an even bigger boiler.

Many many years ago I worked on a hospital job where two autoclaves were being installed in a pathology lab. I was installing the pressure relief ducts so I got to see quite a bit of what went into setting them up.

The chamber wasn't huge. A cubic metre in each one. To generate the required steam for them to operate under the gravitational principal there were two steam boilers installed that occupied about 4m3 of space.

Presuming OP has that space available for what he wants to do, he's also going to need a couple hundred thousand pounds.

The vacuum method is the best method for smaller autoclaves. That's why then you're at a dentist or doctors surgery, they're small and work with a vacuum pump.

I mean if OP wants to throw a lot of money at it, sure but considering he was asking if you can convert a kiln, I doubt it.
>>
>>1034906

>>1034590

Wouldn't a pressure canner that can hold 15psi of positive pressure likely also be able to hold a near perfect vacuum at ~14psi of negative pressure with minimal modification?

I mean, it's not rated for it, but the forces involved are approximately equivalent.

And the vacuum doesn't even need to be that good, especially if you're cycling it multiple times.
>>
>>1034911

If it's got what OP wants then no. Carbon fibre cure is done at up to 300degC@7bar pressure.

This is a point that's been missed. Op isn't sterilising. He's curing resins.
>>
>>1034914
Oh. I'm not familiar with carbon fiber manufacture, thanks for clearing that up.

>7 bar.

Shit, that's a lot of pressure to fuck with if you don't know what you're doing.

I mean, a faulty pressure cooker could kill you, but with this thing we skip all the way to wondering whether the fragments that penetrate your fence will retain enough velocity of kill your neighbor's dog.
>>
>>1034668
>>1034906
Came to say that home pressure canners vent out all the air and replace it with steam, but no vacuum is involved. But, can't do what the OP wants to do.

>>1034923
A pressure cooker can't reach that anyway due to pressure relief safety devices on them that will blow out first.
>>
>>1034935
I'm not inclined to trust any home made pressure vessel that's charged to 7 bar.
>>
Dicks out for Harambe!
>>
>>1034944
>implying our dicks aren't already out.
>>
>>1034288
>DIY autoclave
Expect a small to medium powered explosion when whatever you can do on the cheap fails under the pressure and heat.
>>
>>1034663
>>1034668
Actually most medical autoclaves run around ~30psi and ~273°f...
>>
>>1035497
Also I service autoclaves for a living...
Ama?
>>
>>1034288

I can't help but feel that something capable of 2K+ Fahrenheit would be overkill.

I'd love to have the space and ventilation for my own kiln, then I could actually fire all of this fucking greenware I've got sitting around.
>>
>>1034914
>Carbon fibre cure is done at up to 300degC@7bar pressure.
all the pre-preg carbon fibre i've looked up was to be cured at something closer to like 120°C
>>
>>1035792

See post above yours for temp conversion.
>>
>>1035793
He wrote 300degC, not 300degF, which is why I corrected him
>>
File: Temperature-Pressure-Chart.gif (61KB, 975x1684px) Image search: [Google]
Temperature-Pressure-Chart.gif
61KB, 975x1684px
>>1035719
>>
File: M9-Sterilizer.jpg (733KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
M9-Sterilizer.jpg
733KB, 1920x1080px
>>1035719
Please refer to the sterilization temperatures in the lower right corner.
>>
why not just buy a large pressure cooker?
>>
>>1034288
You can make a steam boiler and get a secondary autocalve up to 4,5 bar.
Then have some pressure release valves to prevent it from blowing up.
Still you need the pressure "on" the material. you could wrap it in a plastic vacuum bag that is heatresistant.

I work for a company that makes rubber/silicone/PU rollers. And we do our vulcanisation in house.
>>
>>1035792
>All I've looked up

So not all of them then. We go up to 230 and beyond that. So 300degC ~ as a top line. It's really not that black and white when you look beyond what you want to see.
>>
>>1036039
You have room temp curing resins aswell :^)
>>
>>1036039
You have room temp curing resins aswell
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.