[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wikihouse potential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Wikihouse Maker Faire.jpg (181KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
Wikihouse Maker Faire.jpg
181KB, 768x768px
Anyone have experience with the Wikihouse project? Basically every part is CNC'd from sheets of Plywood or OSB and the frame can go up in a day. Everything is held together with pegs but it looks like it can be modified to use bolts and T-nuts.

I'm thinking of buying a small plot of land in the middle of nowhere, putting this up and adding a generator and RV plumbing. Pic related, any thoughts?
>>
Anyone worth an opinion could frame that in 2x in a day anyway, and it would be better for it.
>>
>>1034173
If we were running out of metal, I'd say go for it. But, plywood/OSB is fucking expensive shit while rough framing lumber is pretty damn cheap.

>pic
>dat wooden foundation
>dat 2 inches from the curb
>built for a maker fair on a temp lot

For a moment there I was like, "WTF?"
>>
>>1034173
>Wikihouse potential

It has none. Just like wiki speed is a fucking joke. All this time and money spent on cutting shit to make it like a puzzle. When you could have an charge powered nail gun and a pile of 2x4s and 2x8s and like a pile of cinder bricks. And have everything framed in like a day with 4 experienced workers doing it.
>>
File: image.jpg (279KB, 1066x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
279KB, 1066x800px
>>1034173
>>
>>1034235
/thread
>>
It seems decent if you are planning to move it on occasion, but might be on par with a mobile home. So for permanent placement probably not great, but great if the vacant lot you choose happens to have a sinkhole show up a few feet from the house.
>>
File: BED3D.jpg (188KB, 2000x1094px) Image search: [Google]
BED3D.jpg
188KB, 2000x1094px
I made a bed out of plywood once. Pic related.

I was at uni and we had access to a cnc router. Good fun.

The challenge I set for myself was to create a double bed base out of a single sheet of plywood. The plywood cost about $50 (17mm I think)

The design 'solution' was to make two sleds, and join them together. They would then join together with some tabs.

I moved a couple of times with it, but on the third move I decided to screw the whole thing together. I had it for about ten years.

The picture is the cut path. I don't think I have an image of the bed itself.
>>
>>1034600
I forgot to mention, that being able to slot it together was a novelty that wore off and having real skills is more rewarding than slotting things together with a mallet
>>
Wikihouse is brilliant for certain things but pratfalls in others.

Like all architectural attempts to save the entire world all at once you kinda have to look at how it all falls apart locally for you.

I think it has got some great application, jut don't get sucked in by the TED talk.

You can tell you're being sold a lie just by how stupidly expensive that studio on their website costs.
>>
>>1034602
>having real skills is more rewarding than slotting things together with a mallet

It's almost like you're a DIY'er or something.

Which is why wikihouse isn't going to look like a solution to most here. It's designed to cater to motherfuckers with no skills or tools who otherwise wouldn't have access to decent materials.
>>
>>1034600
>I made a bed out of plywood once.

Me too. Only mine is just a single sheet of plywood 4'x8'. With a couple 2x4s under it. I get amazing sleep and my lower back problems disappeared.
>>
>>1034173
Pex plumbing. But yeah, go for it and check in with results.
>>
>>1034173
I'm not going to stop you op.

In fact I'm going to encourage you, go do it, create your dream a reality.

Come back here and share your adventure.
>>
Hang on, am I doing the math right? 160 sheets of plywood for pic related from this: http://www.100kgarages.com/blog/2013/11/if-you-build-it-they-will-come-and-be-amazed-the-2-day-wikihouse-build-at-world-maker-faire-nyc/ . Figure double that for a livable home (still slightly a cuckshed), so 320. $20-$30 for a sheet of osb/plywood, you're talking $6,400-$9,600 for framing and walls. Add siding and roofing and you're hitting $15k-$20k. Woodburning stove, electric, plumbing (assuming you're on the grid) brings you up to what, $30-$35k? Is building a home with timber usually this cheap?
>>
>>1035720
Like 2x4s and stuff? Its generally cheaper than 100% plywood. You are also forgetting insulation, floors, drywall, doors and such, all the fixing. But you don't pay that much for materials mate, you pay for the labor and all the other overhead. On the contractors end they have to pay their workers plus insurance, bonding, tools, permits, cleanup, etc, etc before they even get to the profit.
>>
>>1034173
>what are building codes
I dont thing a sawdust from is allowed in most places.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.