[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ceiling fan light install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (914KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
914KB, 3264x2448px
Wired everything up and it doesn't work properly. With switch turned on the fan operates and light doesn't, with switch turned of the fan doesn't operate but light does.....da fuck.jpg??
>>
Single switch or one switch per channel? Does it have a remote and thus electronics or is it an old simple version?
>>
>>1034040
Check your wiring
>>
SPDT switch wired incorrectly?
(used when 2 switches control a light)
>>
>>1034046
I went and bought the light that went to this specific brand of fan so that I could run them off the same power switch
>>
>>1034047
Did..multiple times

>>1034049
Not sure what that is.
>>
File: image.jpg (683KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
683KB, 3264x2448px
Here is the current status.

So being that they were same brand and everything the instructions were followed to the very letter, white to white and black to blue, the wiring was cut and dry simple. Hardest part to all of this was my having to reach up.
>>
>>1034053
Tested with multimeter? If checked take a break for a bit. Drink a beer come back and recheck. Probably something obvious.
>>
>>1034059
Negative. Didn't check with multimeter, the fan was prewired for this light to be added on so I trusted the leads left capped and ready for install would be ok.
>>
>>1034040
so you're saying that you added a light to an already existing ceiling fan? how about a model number or a wiring diagram?

you should have power running in parallel to both pull chain switched with one leading to the fan and one to the light.
>>
>>1034040
>With switch turned on the fan operates
Go look at the switch.
Is it a standard wall flip/toggle switch?
If it is, do you see the word OFF on the lever when the lever is down?
If it's not this type of switch post pic of switch
ALT: take cover off switch.
count number of screws and wires on switch
note colors of wires to switch

report results
>>
>>1034070
Correct. I purchased the fans light kit and installed it accordingly....didn't work. I tried flipping the wires thinking maybe the wrong colors were put in the wrong place (it's literally just two wires that had to be connected) and it still operates in the same manner described.
>>
To add further insult to injury, this light has an adjustable dimmer built into the "pull" chain. It's a touch sensitive chain, rather than pulling it to turn it on/off you touch it (dumbest idea ever imo). So the insult being that when I turn off the switch the light always turn on to a different setting than previously, and not in any specific order, so it isn't cycling through the dimness options just randomly coming on.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1034075
>>1034075
Left is the only one that does anything and right doesn't do anything
>>
>>1034079
Take the light back to the shop and swap it for candles.
Tell them you are too fucking stupid to own electric lights
> no actual information about the setup
> no pictures of actual wiring
> American trying to into electricity
No point in continuing op
>>
>>1034090
You didn't answer if you can see the word OFF with the switch flipped down.
>>
>>1034090
>Left is the only one that does anything
The left switch is a three way switch for controlling a device from two locations.
SPDT - It wired differently than just an ordinary switch like the one on the right.
>>
>>1034049
>SPDT switch wired incorrectly?
This guy got it way back here.
>>
>>1034092
There's plenty reason to continue...one being to learn what the fuck is going on and how I can fix it and gain knowledge for next time so I don't have to read jackass comments like yours.
>>
>>1034093
It's pictured. Left switch doesn't have anything right switch does
>>
>>1034098
I'll have to google how to wire one and compare it to how it's currently wired. My knowledge on this subject is pretty nonexistent, that's why I came here hoping the issue would be simple.
>>
>>1034103
Is there another switch like the 'left' one in another part of the room?
>one that doesn't have OFF and ON embossed on it...
>>
>>1034105
Negative. This is the only switch that goes to the inside, there is another single switch by the patio doors for outside light.

After searching this SPDT switch thing, I don't understand the reason to use such a switch for a ceiling fan along side another SPST switch when they're aren't any other fixtures in the living room to operate.
>>
>>1034110
Yeah, someone was probably trying to use this switch for the fan and light because it can control two device if wired that way.
They just didn't understand it alternates between the two.
For the light pull switch with dimmer to operate properly it needs to have power to it's wire all the time.
Usually it's a blue wire sticking out the top of the assembly where it connects in the ceiling.
The motor is usually a black wire in the same place.
The neutral is white and a green ground/earth wire.

Study on how to connect the HOT/LINE wire inside the switch box to the extra wire connected to the three-way switch.
(likely a red wire)
Then the fan will work from the switch but the light will work from the pull chain.
Kinda stupid setup but that's the price to pay for the dimmer chain.
I usually wire the fan to be HOT all the time and the light fixture switched.
People want the fan to be eirher on or off most of the time and change it only occasionally.
The turn the light on and off frequently when entering or leaving the room.

You can run some tests with the light fixture and see if it is possible to have it 'remember' the adjustment when the power is off but I doubt it.

If it was mine I'd forget the dimmer part and wire it as I normally do because it more practical that way.
>>
>>1034123
>Study on how to connect the HOT/LINE wire inside the switch box to the extra wire connected to the three-way switch.
>(likely a red wire)

I should have said to remove the extra wire from the switch and connect it to the HOT/LINE wire available inside the box in the wall.
>>
>>1034125
Me again.
You can decide which is hot all the time (fan or light) by which wire you move from the switch to the LINE wire.

Also, you can use the normal switch on the right to control one or the other of them.

left for fan - right for light
>>
>>1034090
>right doesn't do anything

mfw: controls your neighbors garage light...
>>
>>1034123
>>1034125
Would it be easiest doing what you're saying or ,being that the SPDT switch is only connected to the fan and the SPST switch connected to seemingly nothing, switching the fan over to the SPST switch?

Again my electrical skills are that of a re-re
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 1122x1048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 1122x1048px
>>1034135
>>
>>1034139
Take the cover plate off and see if wires go to the spst switch.
>>
>>1034157
There are but it's a fucking mess in there. I feel like a fish out of water and in space looking at that shit
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
78KB, 600x600px
>>1034166
You're probably better off letting someone else do it.

Judging from the way it's operating now, The fan (black wire inside fan canopy) is connected to one of the top screws and the light is connected to the other top screw.
The HOT is connected to the COMMON

Move one of the wires from the top screw to the same place the COMMON screw wire is.
It's okay to put two wires under one screw.

The switch will now only control the one left connected to the top screw.
The other wire will be HOT all the time.

It's up to you on which one to move.

You probably shouldn't change wires on the regular switch without knowing what it actually is and where the wires come from and go to.
>>
>>1034196
What if at the fan I tap into the black with the blue instead of moving a traveler to the common? Could that work or would there be too much load on the one "traveler"
>>
>>1034196
Or in what about moving the lights "traveler" over to the single throw switch on the right...this in my head sounds possible but I'm not sure how sound it would be with the actual ground not being apart of that switch as well
>>
Use the pull strings to operate the fan or light when you turn power on
>>
>>1034220
>tap into the black with the blue instead of moving a traveler to the common?
You'll be disconnecting the blue wire from whichever color it's connected to in the fan canopy (in the ceiling box)
Tape off the unused wire because it will be active when the switch is in that position.
>>
>>1034221
The 'ground' won't matter.
What are you going to do with the 'switched' wire that's now connected to the switch on the right?
>>
>>1034221
>>1034227
Also: the switch on the right 'could' be switching a neutral wire instead of a hot.
That's why I suggested you not mess with it without finding out more about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Here's what I've done according to what was said I will turn power back on and post results. Wish me luck.
>>
>>1034239
Status update. Fan works light doesn't in either position.
>>
>>1034245
>Fan works
With operating the switch or using the pull chain on the fan
>light doesn't in either position.
What about the 'dimmer' setting?
>>
>>1034262
Also: what does the red wire connect to in the ceiling box?
>>
>>1034262
I literally went a step backward as far as progress. Light doesn't work at all. And fan is still just spinning away with speed fully adjustable.
>>
>>1034266
It was the light from what I can tell, and now that the light doesn't turn on at all I feel more confident in saying so.
>>
>>1034269
>now that the light doesn't turn on at all I feel more confident in saying so
The light should have power available at all times now. The black screw is the hot wire.
>>
I'm considering saying fuck this three way switch and buying a simple on/off and hooking up both fan and light to same screw on that one....only problem is...I'd have to go to the store!
>>
>>1034271
Yes I'd say that is the logical statement, but it isn't on so I'm assuming this light is simply a piece of shit.
>>
>>1034273
Take the light down and hook it to a power source you're certain of and check for proper operation.

>cut up a cheap two wire extension cord to make a suicide/test cable.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 236x418px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 236x418px
>>1034278
I'm certain it works because when hooked up to the SPDT switch it operates "normally" it just turns on in random dimness settings to include the "off" setting but now it's just off since I hooked it to the common. It's all backwards for me bruh
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Final solution was hooking both light and fan to same screw on circuit and leaving one traveler empty. Maybe I'll find use for it one day. For now I'll just operate the light and fan the old fashioned way and use the switch for on and off.
>>
>>1034292
Light works none of the time
Fan works in one position or both positions?
>>
>>1034361
It was just one position, issue was having a SPDT wired for the fan when only one switch was in the room to begin with.
>>
>>1034370
Doesn't make sense looking at >>1034239 unless its a poorly wired crossover or something
>>
>>1034374
I did that according to >>1034196
And it only made the fan function and the light didn't, maybe caused the dimness setting to not work, who knows...
But now it's working and I'm happy
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.