[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was shopping for IR LEDs for a Wiimote whiteboard project,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: whiteBoardOverview.png (62KB, 700x449px) Image search: [Google]
whiteBoardOverview.png
62KB, 700x449px
I was shopping for IR LEDs for a Wiimote whiteboard project, and I can't find any that are but 40ish degree. Are there any nice, 280 degree IR LEDs?
>>
The largest viewing angle Digikey has is 240, so probably not.

Can you use two IR LEDs?
>>
>>1033790
These projects are already a thing, so maybe that's what they use. I don't understand why it has to be directional.
>>
>>1033790
>>1033794
Also, I have a 60 degree, and I've tried doing it backwards, pointing it facing the camera while in front of the screen, and it detects the light at the points but won't respond as a mouse.
>>
>>1033795
>at the points
Calibration locations*
>>
This is what the original developer uses:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay/TSAL6400/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiolSSOW7ANpRqONH3GthtGTteNzRwuhRM%3d

It's only 25 degrees, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
>>
upthread
>>
>>1033794
It's not directional. The view angle merely dictates how large the light spread is. At a normal distance of a few feet from a 30 degree emitter, a receiver should be able to detect it within "normal" bounds, if it too has an appropriate receiving angle.
>>
>>1033903
Nope. A lateral angle is almost completely invisible on a 60 degree, 1.5v, 1W IIRC light.
>>
How does it work? There were two IR points in the light bar, weren't there?
>>
File: pen.jpg (45KB, 900x211px) Image search: [Google]
pen.jpg
45KB, 900x211px
>>1033935
Yeah, not supposedly necessary.
>>
What a cool idea.
>>
>>1033789
Op you are mad. What the fuck do you need a 280 degree spread for?
If you explain why you think you need that then we can tell you why you are wrong. Do you understand how big 280 degrees is? Fucking huge.
>>
>>1033935
You need two to detect things like distance and orientation (although the wiimote can also do orientation). Also helps if one is blocked. You just need one to detect where the LED is
>>
File: IMG_20100326_194028.jpg (132KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20100326_194028.jpg
132KB, 1600x1200px
>>1034086
Because this.
>>
File: IMG_20100326_194034.jpg (186KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20100326_194034.jpg
186KB, 1600x1200px
>>1034127
>>
>>1034129
That's on btw.
>>
>>1034127
I don't think you understand the concept of viewing angle. If you want lateral view, you want 180 degrees, but you wouldn't want that because no sane fucker operates their TV in a spot where they can't even see it.
>>
>>1034145
WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME!?

I don't need it for a TV. The wii remote's IR camera has to be able to tell there a light, which it can't do if the light is only facing forward and not at the camera.
>>
>>1034145
>>1034146
Protip: the whole reason for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ
>>
>>1034147
Try putting the pen against a surface dipshit
>>
>>1034155
>hurr
>>
>>1033789
Why do you want a wide led? You should be using a very directional one. Even a laser pointer if you could find one that wasn't so powerful that reflected radiation would be harmful.
>>
>>1034452
Cont.

The reason he is using his oens right on top of the display is because they are normal/ wide angle leds.

The opacity of your surface is probably plenty. I even bet a cheopo china special red laser pointer throws off plenty of infrared for the wiimote to sense. Point it at the display in calibration mode, and wave a laser around. You want it narrow so it actually stays bright enough to detect and small enough to use
>>
>>1034452
>>1034462
Here. Listen.

The wiimote (camera) and the LED can be put right up to the screen, and it won't detect. The only way the light becomes visible is by pointing it at the camera in some fashion.

The window is shut.

Wouldn't the monitors heat be enough IR so that the LED isn't detecteD?
>>
>>1034753
Your led isn't intense enough or your monitor is transparent to infrared instead of reflective.

Try pointing both at a walk and see if that is reflective enough for the wiimite to see. You might need to put a film over your target that is better at reflecting infra red. They've got some of that shit at home depot, you could go down there with your cell phone camera and your led pen and find the best one by looking for your infrared light in the film
>>
>>1034758
*pointing both at a wall
>>
>>1034758
>>1034762
It doesn't detect well on a wall as well.
>>
>>1033789
Use several that all blink your IR code at the same time, angled differnetly
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.