[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought an antique marble bust at an auction. Then I noticed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: DSC_0014.jpg (339KB, 2707x1800px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0014.jpg
339KB, 2707x1800px
I bought an antique marble bust at an auction.
Then I noticed that the bust is never properly resting on the pedestal no matter how I turn it.

My guess is that the metal rod that's supporting the bust is too long. But since it's never wise to go altering an antique yourself I thought I'd at least ask your opinion. Should I get my dremel and shorten that damn thing?

Just look at this pic. The bust weighs 30 pounds and I don't want it to collapse one day.
>>
Just to clarify, there's a separate thin metal rod in between the pedestal and the bust.
Prevents the bust from tipping over or something?
>>
u wut bruh
>>
Try screwing it on
>>
If it were me id set it where u want and stuff a bead of clear silicone around it. Deep as u can into the crack. Takes a crane to get it apart.
>>
>>1033668

>19th century marble bust

>silicone
>>
Get some felt pads/buttons. Stick them under the bust.

Or rubber.

Or plastic.

Or, really, whatever you have lying around.
>>
ban evasion
>>
>>1033654
Try to determine if the pedestal is original to the bust.
If it's a replacement or not valuable on its own, just make a depression in it for the rod to fit in.
>>
>>1033668
>Takes a crane
>>
>>1033668
It usually takes a crane to get it out
>>
>>1033678
This, takes a crane to get it out.
>>
A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>1033654

Get two more busts and label them 1, 2 and 4 with black paint.

Let them loose and everyone will be looking for number 3.
>>
I was in that thread, I brought the mattress
>>
have you tried wedging it in with imitation crab meat?
>>
Put the bust at the top of the stairs. It wont be able to go down them and it'll take a crane to get it out
>>
Assuming as per above checks, its original, you could :
- preserve it by placing foam felt or rubber surface protectors between surfaces, as previously stated.
- fuck pedistal, drill the thing, assuming you posess a drill large enough that isnt percussion, with a multi-surface bit.
- fck that rod and cut it off
- deal wit it.

This said, id go #1, as it ensures no damage to either surface. In my humble experience, its always when i consider one half the cheap crap, and mod it, it turns out that ive zeroed it, whilst the other half was worth $2. Just make sure the foam felt or rubber isnt self adhesive, or you will need a crane to get it out.
>>
i think the rod is not original and the previous owner used it as slip over protection so you could cut it
>>
>>1035182
Then cut it. If neccisary whilst attempting the cut use a crane to lift it out and hold it steady.

Pro tip. Dremels are for hipsters. Use at least a grinder with a cut off disc.
>>
>>1033673
>19th century marble bust
If it's really THIS old, OP will need pro help. Too risky to try and make shit.
>>
>>1033654

Label the cranes 2-5. Then they'll spend all day trying to get the rod out down the stairs.
>>
>>1033654
Is the pedestal antique? If not mod that to accommodate the bust.
>>
>>1033654
marble buster here.
do NOT try to glue/screw/epoxy both pieces together because they will crack one day and they are meant to be apart for a reason. take angle grinder (if you know how to gentle handle it) and not too rough sand paper and level the curved surface. (or you can do it with a rasp manually. most important thing; half centimeter from the edge remove just a smaaaal portion of marble more than on the center to remove pressure off the edges. it will be unnoticable and you are done. if you must connect it together then use a lime with a pinch of ocre pigment and wipe the excess with a wet cloth.

i'll be back here for couple of hours if you need anything else.

btw, post more pic and price. i'm curious.
>>
>>1033660
Genius
>>
A small quantity of plaster of paris in a bag, fit around the top of the pedestal, place bust on top and leave to set. Tidy and trim plaster once set to make a removable shim that is exactly the correct shape and size to prevent wobble without actually modifying the bust or pedestal.

Plaster of paris may not be strong enough but you get my meaning. Liquid in a bag that sets solid but the bag stops it sticking to the marble or oozing everywhere.

Some thought should be put into fitting the bag around the pole but it should still work.
>>
>>1037787
not bad. but i would prefer lime over plaster since industrial plaster have some soluble salts. it all depends on how valuable the bust is.

plaster is really white and non transparent like marble. therefore, after the plaster is dry, it would be good to apply a bit of linseed oil on it. it will keep the plaster "wet look" like marble.
>>
>>1033654
>how I turn it

You can turn the bust on the pedestal? Can you lift it off?

Someone might have bumped it and bent the rod it shipping. Take bust off and check the rod for being square to the surface. Also take another rod and make sure the socket hole is square. Probably is, but rod might have been bent originally to compensate for crooked holes.

Once you know what the problems are, you can come up with a solution (bend the rod square, shim the gap, etc.)
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.