[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dashcam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: dc.jpg (114KB, 960x565px) Image search: [Google]
dc.jpg
114KB, 960x565px
I have one in my new car but STUPID FORD thought it was a good idea to have all the 12V outlets in the car run all the time!
This means that either the camera runs continuously (and wear the card out and drain the battery if I don't drive the car for a while) or that I have to remember to plug/unplug it every time I start/stop the car.
I need a work-around.
BUT
All the easily accessible electrics/electronics in the car run all the time (12V outlets, ceiling lights, glove compartment light) or are too complicated to get access to their power supply (radio, dashboard, windows).
So far, the only two ways around this FROD CREATED-STUPID SITUATION are either a button easily accessible on the dash to turn in on/off or try to crack open the rear view mirror (whose dimming seems to be power operated).

Anyone else has better ideas?

The car is a 2016 Ford Transit Connect Wagon.
>>
Run it off the Accessory wires, car stereo loom is probably the easiest- they'll be Red (Acc) and Black (earth) wires
>>
>>1033496
Should I start digging under the dash or in the engine compartment (when it enters the firewall)?
>>
>>1033503
Nope, its under the dash.
Safest bet is off the stereo loom which is off the cars radio- pull that out or go in from the side. Then run an extension off them to where you need a socket
>>
Nearly all new dash cams have instructions on how to wire it so it will turn on only if it senses movement or if your ignition key in.

If the connect is like the real transit (which it probably won't be) it will have 2 high capacity batteries anyway so you'd need to run it for a long time to kill the battery.
>>
File: 2plus2equalskfc.jpg (7KB, 214x235px) Image search: [Google]
2plus2equalskfc.jpg
7KB, 214x235px
>>1033493
>wear the card out
>>
>>1033493
>pic

Jesus, that should be illegal for restricting driver visibility.

>>1033493
>thought it was a good idea to have all the 12V outlets in the car run all the time!

Those are power outlets, like in your house. Of course they run all the time if you have something plugged into them. Get a "Shutoff adapter".

Moron.
>>
>>1033518
Constant and unnecessary read/write actions on what are presumably some kind of flash memory cards are known to significantly shorten card lifespans and lead to data loss.

http://wiki.embeddedarm.com/wiki/Filesystem_Corruption_with_SD_cards
>>
>>1033493
>I have one in my new car but STUPID FORD thought it was a good idea to have all the 12V outlets in the car run all the time!
They're connected to the battery, dipshit. Why doesn't your dashcam have an off switch?
>>
>>1033493
I would put the effort into wiring them to the ignition anon. U van pay ford to remove and reinstal your dash parts if u need.
>>
>>1033528
It is. That many 4 sure. Technically most states still have a law that says (no screen is to be visible by the driver) or some such. But 90% of cars have a giant fucking lcd sxreen in the middle of the dash. Stupid fucking D.O.T. scum...
>>
>>1033518
64Gb card in a 1440p camera
the card is written over every 7 hours or so
>>1033541
it has, just like your radio in your car; but tell me if you wouldn't be annoyed if you had to turn in on/off every time you start/stop the car
assuming you have a car
and if you forget to turn the radio on while you're involved in a accident or while some interesting shit happens in front of you it's not such a big problem, if you know what I mean ...
>>1033516
it's the connect which is basically a fusion underneath

As far as them running all the time, Mazda (which is still basically part of Ford) cars have one outlet that works all the time while the other turns off with the ignition. How hard would that be to implement?

Now, how hard would it be to make something that turns itself off if the voltage drops under 12.7V and turns on if the voltage climbs over 13V? Or can I buy something like that?
>>
>>1033532
Yes... you may only get six years out of it instead of ten.

>7 TB of data before the line moves

Read the chart, nigger.
>>
>>1033601
6.5 Tb of data on a 4Gb card = 1200 writes x 7 hours (my card) = less than a year (based on one experiment; if you know science, that explains the next paragraph; if you don't, you won the argument)
so ... I have to change the card every few months just to be sure I won't get an error right when a stupid driver runs a red light and then lies about it?
>>
>>1033603
>when a stupid driver runs a red light and then lies about it?

Where do you live ?

Even in Podunk nebraska and every goddamn intersection has 4 cameras
>>
>>1033615
Shitty Baltimore where the city hall was caught being bribed by the company administering the cameras and everything was shut down (at least temporarily)
Also, red light was just en example. Continuous lines, stop/yield signs, parking lots don't have cameras (at least not all).

>stubborn friend that didn't want to get a dashcam driving on a two lane street in the right lane
>idiot woman, in left lane, turns right (crossing a continuous line) hitting him (her front right side touched his rear left, yes, he was in front and couldn't avoid it)
>idiot woman doesn't stop where the accident happened but pulls to the side of the road a bit further away

no dashcam, no cars at the place of the impact (to take pictures of) - there's no legal way to prove who crossed into whose lane therefore both are found equally at fault

now tell me I don't need a dashcam!
>>
File: Pokemon-go-driving-281x300.jpg (17KB, 281x300px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-go-driving-281x300.jpg
17KB, 281x300px
>>1033586
Man, today's tech, today's laws, and the enforcement of the laws are not lining up in the least.
>>
>>1033615
Where I live in the USA there are no cameras anywhere except for businesses. Traffic cams simply do not exist here in any respect.

>redneck flyover state
>>
>>1033636
Something saving your money and public transportation.
>>
>>1033615
Not podunck enough. My town in KS has one stoplight. It just hangs in the middle of the intersection and flashes...
>>
>>1033645
Fuuuck no. You know those reaffer units (big refrigerated semi trailers) with the green or sometimes blue light on the side that come on every single refreigerated truck manufaxtured in 30 years? Illegal. Amber lights on the sides. Red on back. Clear up front. Those blue tinted hids on all the hotrod cars are illegal. Cops dont write it because it wont stick. But believe me if dot is in a bad mood they will personally push your shit in. ...its fucking stupid.
>>
>>1033646
Kansas checking in. I see you Oklahoma!
>>
>>1033493
>STUPID FORD thought it was a good idea to have all the 12V outlets in the car run all the time!
Clever Dodge/Chrysler has a fuse in the under-hood power center which can be moved to let the owner select [constant] or [switched] for those set to switched by the factory.

Check under the hood...
>>
Find a fuse that runs off ignition, plug one of these in and wire the dashcam to it. You can probably find them cheaper, this was the first link.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2
>>
>>1033615
I bet you anything those aren't cameras. They're just sensors to change the traffic lights, they just look like cams.
>>
>>1033493
Nigga that shit is great.
>>
>>1033719
That add-a-fuse seems to be the shit but still second best to a voltage sensitive 12V splitter (I can't find any though!).
But the thing in the link can be adapted to a splitter too.
Thanks anon!
>>
>>1033528
>Jesus, that should be illegal for restricting driver visibility.

What are you talking about? Driver obviously has clear view of the entire road x 6!
>>
>>1033603
Their first paragraph says an average of 8TB for a 4GB card, so that's more like 2000 writes. That's more like 1.6 years of CONSTANT 24/7 recordings. I assume the car isn't being driven 24/7. If you're driving a generous 8 hours per day, that's 4.8 years worth of perfect recording. So every 5 years, you buy a new 64GB SD card, provided you still are using the same dashcam after 5 years.
>>
>>1033528
Why do cars not have projected HUDs? Its obviously of value to have supplementary information displayed (maps, directions etc) but taking your eyes off the road to squint at a gadget that may as well be a mobile phone is a hazard.
>>
>>1033645
>wait to go until you've stopped

It's probably correct but that's the most mangled grammar ever
>>
>>1033923
that's the point ... because all the outlets run all the time and I'm forgetful, I prefer to leave it running all the time.
That equals "driving 24 hours a day"
Plus (just like I mentioned about "sciency stuff") a one measuring of one year plus the fact that you want to be sure you have a recording when you need it makes it that you have to change the card way more often.
But, once again, if you don't know what science (and logical fallacies) means, you won the argument by default ...
>>
Put it on one of those springy pressure switches then put that in your seat. Or just plug it in when you get in the car. Obligatory "dipshit"
>>
>>1033970
You you want alternatives to not running the dashcam 24 hours a day, people supply you with solutions to have the cam only on when driving, yet you're still going on about the flash card wearing out because it's running all day everyday? This makes no sense.
>>
>>1033493
>FORD thought it was a good idea to have all the 12V outlets in the car run all the time!

Many cars (my Merc, most Fords) have two different fuse positions for always-on and ignition-switched sockets.
>>
>>1034232
I was just responding to this:
>>1033923
can you even follow a thread?

Plus, I've already installed the add-a-fuse thingy and everything works perfect
And the best part is that there's a fuse box right behind the glove compartment
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1034424
Grats OP, I had the same problem but opposite. I wanted to charge my ipad even when the car was off, so I installed one of those fuse taps into an "always on" fuse.

Pic related, it's my cars fusebox
>>
>>1033928
it's a word joke. pokemon GO.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.