[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quiet Work Space?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: JUST SOUNDPROOF MY SHIT UP FAM.jpg (211KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
JUST SOUNDPROOF MY SHIT UP FAM.jpg
211KB, 1000x1000px
Trying to set up a mini-wood shop inside a single dorm room, problem is noise, can't have tools and saws and hammers buzzing and pounding all day. Need to do this to continue selling furniture and related items (poor fag).

University will allow for corded power tools. I have N95 masks and a big old strong box fan to deal with dust and smells from stains, poly, citrus strip, etc.

What power tools can I buy that are quiet? On the job-sites we only worked with DeWalt and Milwaukee (former carpenter's apprentice, but we really built a lot of decks), but I know that won't do for this room. Also trying to make it silent to people outside. I do not currently have tools of my own.
I'm thinking:
>mounting numerous thick blankets on wall
>install door sweep
>mount acoustic wedge panels, 2'' deep
to prevent disturbed neighbor syndrome. Bench will be by open window, box fan pointing toward window to prevent dust from going on whatever I use on wall.
>>
Does your university not have a shop you can use?
>>
don't be stupid, that's impossible
>>
>>1032079
>>1032075
No shop. Just looking to muffle a bit of sound. Don't think that is unreasonable.
>>
How large are the projects you're planning? Are you going to build bunk beds and sell them to roommates, or tiny little rocking horses miniature saddles for fetishists to rest their nusacks on?
>>
>>1032140
I'll be building coffee tables, chairs, stools, picture frames, with the occasional custom design for lets say a speaker set up, or custom two seat sofa.

For anything large I cut out the frames and auxiliary pieces in my room, transport them to the customer, and assemble on site. I can build beds too but the Uni typically provides us with beds, some of the richer kids might want a custom king or queen bed.
>>
>>1032162
Loft bed setups are cool and make a lot of usable space beneath them.
>>
>>1032162
There's more money in testicle horse holders, but whatever. Assembly is a minor issue, you need to worry about how long of a board you'll be able to plane
>>
>>1032079
yep

I can't imagine they would put up with people repeatedly using power tools in their room

I would suggest finding someone nearby willing to let you use their garage

>What power tools can I buy that are quiet?
kek

even hand tools make noise
>>
>>1032206
Yeah I figured. At this point I'm looking into local garage rentals.

>>1032193
Nah I'd rather just buy the horse testicles for myself, and as far as how long, at most were talking the two person sofa right? I'll mainly be using chopped up 2x4, 2x6, and sometimes 2x8 for the furniture, with some smaller pieces for more intricate stuff. The longest piece of solid wood that will fit in the room is around 12' so I think I'm OK.

>>1032190
Thanks for the idea! Completely forgot about it. Single roomers would probably love them considering how small some of the rooms can get, they can move their desk right under the bed and have enough space to entertain guests (get drunk and have sex).

As for tools I was once gifted a Ryobi and I liked it, so I think I'll stick with it. Any recs?
>>
The only thing that will deaden sound is mass and air gaps. I know for a fact you spent less than 30 seconds researching this because you think that some fucking foam will effectively muffle sound.

This foam is used to acoustically treat a space and reduce reflections/echo/reverb.
>>
>>1032065

>Rent storage shed +/- $60 a month.
>buy pic related
>start furnature reoair business with ample storage
>save dorm space
>profit

Had a homeless buddy once. We hooked his ass up son! Electric heater. Portable dvd player. Yes it's squating and stealing a little power, but it's better than being homeless!
>>
>>1032065
Go rent a work space anon, trying to do that in your dorm room will piss people off and get you thrown out.
>>
>>1032065
corded powertools and noise, who gives a fuck?

Flammable and high VOC stains and poly. Yea, people are going to give a huge fuck.
>>
>>1032516
>>1032585
>>1032689
Thanks for the point in the right direction, sounds much smarter to be honest.

>>1032726
Figured.

BUMP:
Right now my super limited budget is forcing me to buy Black and Decker tools, basically a Jigsaw, Drill, and ROS. Itll cost me less than $100 and until I can make more and invest in a proper set it'll cover me.

Any tool recs?
>>
>>1032216
Why not check out local self-storage? A lot of them have power, and don't mind you using them as a shop, as long as you aren't actually living in it.
>>
>>1032747
Many colleges have work spaces that you can use. Often a course or training class is required required, but you gain access to tools that aren't shit in a space where you can make noise and dust.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.