[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tool design...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: crktf1010.png (1MB, 1862x834px) Image search: [Google]
crktf1010.png
1MB, 1862x834px
Has /DIY/ ever made their own tool before? How expensive was it to do; what did you need to buy and what were some tips you used in designing your tool? I'm thinking I'd like to give my hand at designing one; pic unrelated.
>>
>>1032061
I hacked and welded a triple square to n old breaker bar.
It worked, as the original socket was too long for use.
>>
I constantly make tools for shit at work, cars nowadays all need specific tools to replace the timing belts.
>>
I went to school for tool and die making, but never wound up working in the field (I'm a machinist).

I still use a few of the tools I made, mostly v blocks, a square block, 1-2-3 blocks, a huge flathead screwdriver, and a simple but effective vise stop.

It wasn't expensive to me personally, but I don't have access to anything as sophisticated as the cnc and manual lathes, vertical mills and grinders I used.

Most importantly, I don't have access to a heat treat facility. Proper heat treating is an art, and I can't possibly recreate what's necessary to get the most out of tool steels.
>>
Can you use 3D CAD? If not, learn to. Either pirate Solidworks or download Fusion 360 (free) or claim you're a student and get Inventor Professional.

Regarding heat treatment, yeah it's tough. But steels like O1 are a good way to get started and can be done with a propane torch and some random oil.

Why don't you tell us what you want to make?
>>
>>1032061
Why do you want to make tools? The reason I made tools was because I couldn't find one that did EXACTLY what I needed one to do, so I built one. That seems to be all the inspiration one needs to build tools.
>>
>>1032061
If you have a hobby that isn't exactly mainstream you will end up having to make your own tools because 1) they don't exist 2) the ones that do exist are expensive or 3) the ones that do exist don't do exactly what you want them to. It's a really good feeling when you cobble something together and it works, and you made it out of scrap, it's the ultimate diy in a way. I doubt this helps you OP, but there was a bit of vaguery in your post.
>>
>>1032146
mfw i just welded up a timing belt tool out of stainless nails and a large 90 degree set of pliers
>>
>>1032226
Right now I'm just looking to start with ( seemingly ) simple things such as knives and work my way toward other things like screwdrivers, etc.

>>1032231
I need a hobby and I've not been impressed with a lot of tools I've used in the past ( nothing wrong with them but there are things I would have changed ) so I figured "why not give this a go myself?"

I'll be completely starting from scratch. I doubt I have any of the equipment and I've only done woodworking in the past.
>>
Sort of? When I worked in The World' Most Dangerous Annodizing Shop, we made new racks to hang the parts on almost daily
For those who don't know, to annodize something you need to dip it in a tank of acid and run stupid amounts of current through it. Problem is, if you just wrap a wire around it for the dip, any place it touches won't get annodized right, so you need to be able to support like 50lb, $10,000 parts from tiny little hooks in non-crucial locations
>>
File: Notched Straightedge 1.jpg (283KB, 1264x948px) Image search: [Google]
Notched Straightedge 1.jpg
283KB, 1264x948px
>>1032061
In the past when a screwdriver gets too fucked up to use anymore I will sharpen them to use as an awl/bradawl/ice pick.

I needed a guitar straight edge recently so I could do a set up on a new (used) guitar I'd bought, the one from the shops costs $80!, I made mine from some scrap kitchen trim I had laying around.

Kinder egg plastic cases make quick and easy fishing bobbers, just cut some foam to fit inside and wrap the line around the hinge joint before closing and away you go, I know this one ain't exactly a tool but it's fun to reuse shit.

old spoon handles make great tire leavers for bicycles tires.
>>
make them all the time
slide hammer, v block, tap handle, 1-2-3(ish) blocks, brass/aluminium/plastic face hammer
, yesterday i made a tool holder for a carbide indexable bit for my lathe, boring bars. modified my existing tools todo different things, like ghetto slide hammer

>>1032155
the only tools we ever really made were in actual school. im at the point where id rather buy them and make something else with the time instead, depending on the tool. bu my boss would shit if i just started making a v block at work

molds and dies, in the context of a tool is a completely different story
im gonna make a small mold and die, i fucking swear i will
>>
When I was working in a blacksmith shop, we'd make whatever tools or jigs we needed on the fly using scrap. Of course that was a production blacksmith shop with forges and big ass power hammers, so making most of these tools was child's play. Aside from that the only "tools" I've made were nig-rigged solutions to problems I couldn't be bothered to solve by throwing money at them.
>>
>>1032061
I'm always making my own tools. I just finished a new rip fence for the shitty table saw I have to use. Cost $0 cuz I used scrap 2x4 out of the cut bin and used a hand plane to square it up.

I also build a lumber rack to go on top of a Subaru to hold 4x8 sheets. It's a nice jobby that sits on the existing rack, planed the frame into an aero shape to reduce road noise, with extensions that bolt on when needed so it doesn't block the rear hatch when I'm not using it. Cost about $30, cuz I had to buy some oil based paint+primer to keep the scrap wood I used from dissolving in the rain. Well, I suppose it cost $5 if I prorate it, cuz I have most of the paint leftover.

I've also made knives, center punches, hot and cold chisels, workbenches (yes they are a tool), a slide hammer, many many levers and other lifting devices, an electric cable tester, homemade framing squares, and jigs of every shape and purpose.

Making your own tools is extremely common.
>>
>>1032061
I'm not sure if it falls under tools or equipment or if there is really a big difference for native speakers, but: I'm building myself an UV-C sterilization chamber for liquids.

If you're wondering what the fuck that is.. it's essentially a fish tank water cleaner on steroids.. lots and lots of steroids and no fish tanks are involved.

Total cost remains to be seen since a lot of the material I have readily at hand, like sheet metal and plywood etc. So far the expense is ~50 Euros. Specialty glass as it turns out is quite expensive (not that 50 is a lot of money, but I'm a poorfag in a poorfag country).

I'm using just technical literature from the library and commercial equipment as a point of reference. The designs are surprisingly easy to come by online and a great source of inspiration if you have the endurance to go through them.
>>
A coworker build a mallet from an actual stick, like off a tree (a nice stick, if it wasn't a foot long it would have made a good cane or something) with a wooden block pinned in to the top.
It's good for when you need to hammer but can't scratch what you're working on
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.